Stop breeding dam it.

Soldato
This isn’t even correct, the highest birth rate in the world is currently 7 in Niger. The birth rate is intact falling massively everywhere.

Considering some of those die, it’s hardly an immense number, in fact if the level of inhospitable areas on the planet rise, then the birth rate will also likely rise to counter.

I thought it was considerably more.

But either way, you can see the top 30 in the list are all third-world countries, so my point still stands, poorer countries are still breeding significantly more than developed countries.

Man of Honour
It's a really poorly thought out point. The growth has already happened, it can't be avoided without undermining support for the older generations.

Watch this:

Associate
If it kicks off in India and Pakistan there will definitely be less people on the planet. If China gets sucked in even less people causing climate change. Fall out might be a problem though.

Soldato
It's a really poorly thought out point. The growth has already happened, it can't be avoided without undermining support for the older generations.

Watch this:

Yep pretty much. Gotta pay pensions/social care. The welfare state with increased life expectancy is a population ponzi scheme. That's the real reason for mass migration to the west.

Sadly I think the only way the population will decrease again is in 2 scenarios: a world war, or some pandemic.

Caporegime
Depends if you think deaths of at least several hundred Americans a year (some placing it in the thousands when factoring DUI) is a crisis.

You had your 2 minutes hate today Raymond?

Then to make it fair, he needs to call an emergency and ban all hand guns as that kills so many more people!

Just to be consistent you know, which I am sure is not your strong point :p

Caporegime
Yep pretty much. Gotta pay pensions/social care. The welfare state with increased life expectancy is a population ponzi scheme. That's the real reason for mass migration to the west.

Sadly I think the only way the population will decrease again is in 2 scenarios: a world war, or some pandemic.

Totally, eventually, the world will equalise itself, either people will starve, too much pollution, lack of fresh water, living spaces, Ozone, temperature, etc etc.

We could either wait for that, or we can do something about it.

So the solution is to actively kill people by world war, some pandemic as you suggest, or control the population by birth rates.

If you can actually do the latter, why wouldn't you try?

Last edited:
Soldato
Totally, eventually, the world will equalise itself, either people will starve, too much pollution, water, living spaces, Ozone, temperature, etc etc.

We could either wait for that, or we can do something about it.

So the solution is to actively kill people by world war, some pandemic as you suggest, or control the population by birth rates.

If you can actually do the latter, why wouldn't you try?
Because you need more than 1 person per old person/infant to support them. Whatever that ratio is, 2 working people to 1 pensioner/infant, 3:1, 4:1, 1.1:1, you need more workers than dependants. If say the whole world has 1 child per 2 parents. Then what happens when those 2 parents become really old and want to withdraw their pensions or need healthcare? You've only got 1 kid to pay for it. Hence welfare makes a population ponzi scheme. Things needed to happen a long time ago with pension age rising more in line with life expectancy etc, more focus on people saving up for themselves (workplace pensions are long overdue but really are too late). This system, alongside capitalism are predicated on eternal growth, at some point both systems will fail because the population will stop growing due to other factors.

If you want to go down your path of reduced children now, you will have some incredibly upset older people in 30 years time. And they'll all have the attitude of: "I worked for 50 years, paid into the system for all that time so that children and elderly could be supported whilst I was a worker. Now I am an elderly person no one will support us."

Also take that attitude and realise that the elderly are the majority of voters and now you realise that no party will advocate policies such as this because they pander to their voters: the elderly. Ergo, it's not going to happen.

Caporegime
Because you need more than 1 person per old person + young person to support them. Whatever that ratio is, 2 working people to 1 pensioner/infant, 3:1, 4:1, 1.1:1. If say the whole world has 1 child per 2 parents. Then what happens when those 2 parents become really old and want to withdraw their pensions or need healthcare? You've only got 1 kid to pay for it. Hence welfare makes a population ponzi scheme. Things needed to happen a long time ago with pension age rising more in line with life expectancy etc. This system, alongside capitalism are predicated on eternal growth, at some point both systems will fail because the population will stop growing due to other factors.

If you want to go down your path of reduced children now, you will have some incredibly upset older people in 30 years time. And they'll all have the attitude of: "I worked for 50 years, paid into the system for all that time so that children and elderly could be supported whilst I was a worker. Now I am an elderly person no one will support us."

Also take that attitude and realise that the elderly are the majority of voters and now you realise that no party will advocate policies such as this because they pander to their voters: the elderly. Ergo, it's not going to happen.

I understand the maths, Japan is having this problem now with an ageing population and it is predicting to actually contract in the next couple of decades. China of all places too is having this problem with the longstanding 1 child policy.

But the argument still is the same. We can either kill ourselves by either war or pandemic or we can do something about it, as a species, as human beings, not just as a country. I know you are talking about the economy, social reform and how the elderly will be taken care of. I appreciate that but the LARGER picture here isn't just the elderly, it is the entire planet.

Soldato
I understand the maths, Japan is having this problem now with an ageing population and it is predicting to actually contract in the next couple of decades. China of all places too is having this problem with the longstanding 1 child policy.

But the argument still is the same. We can either kill ourselves by either war or pandemic or we can do something about it, as a species, as human beings, not just as a country.
And I'm telling you it won't happen because no one is going to vote for policies that disadvantage the elderly, especially the elderly who are the majority of voters. It will only happen if the youth get politically motivated, which as history has pointed out usually leads to wars anyway.

Caporegime
And I'm telling you it won't happen because no one is going to vote for policies that disadvantage the elderly, especially the elderly who are the majority of voters. It will only happen if the youth get politically motivated, which as history has pointed out usually leads to wars anyway.

So your solution is give up, don't even try and let's wait until we kill each other by the millions?

Soldato
Improve their economic outlook and it’ll fall sharpish.

Indeed as I’ve already said it’s already falling. Population will solve itself, so frankly this discussion is well overblown by everyone.

That's not going to happen any time soon, a lot of those countries are incredibly primitive and the levels of corruption are just staggering. It could be decades or more before they would even begin to resemble the likes of the UK in the early 1900s.

Soldato
So your solution is give up, don't even try and let's wait until we kill each other by the millions?
It's not a solution I'm advocating for more an observation of reality.

It's not an ought, it's an is.

People are inherently selfish and will care about their own interests. It's the way it's always been and it's the way it'll always be.

Caporegime
I wonder if she is going to tell African nations and Middle Eastern nations to stop having kids.

Doubtful - there tends to be the slightly ironic argument that people in the west should reduce the number of kids they have while also simultaneously welcoming immigration as we need more workers to support the ageing population etc.. The contradiction doesn't seem to bother the publications pushing both views.

Back
Top Bottom