• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

RIP Nvidia - PC Gaming ?

OcUK Staff
Microsft being planning this for some years now, the whole AMD, Mantle, DX12, Win10 was to try and make a unified structure as they wanted PC Gamers and console gamers also to have option of playing against each other and share games etc. etc.

Being able to play the big console hits on PC would also be cool! :)

Soldato
I can't see them shafting Nvidia? I'd be well peed off if I can't play games coz my GTX1070 is too slow and people are cruising on a Vega 56, best get saving my pocket money now. Might not be OLED TV next year afterall :'(

Soldato
This will be games from the MS store only I bet, but who actually uses the MS store to buy games lol?

Goodbye decent keyboard and mouse support or actual menus, etc.

Can't really see it happening to any significant degree though MS falls flat on its face when it comes to following through on these kind of things and usually does a half-arsed job like GfWL.

It's going the other way right now. KB+mouse support is creeping in to console gaming.

Last edited:
Associate
ITT

People who don't realise that Microsoft abstract the direct hardware from software on the Xbone. Even a PC AMD GPU would be too different that any code that directly talked to the hardware would die a fiery death. The only part of the Bone OS that directly touches the hardware is not responsible for running any game code.

Man of Honour
It's going the other way right now. KB+mouse support is creeping in to console gaming.

I doubt we will ever see the full experience though as consoles ultimately are oriented around living room gaming - sofa and a big screen not sitting at a desk.

Soldato
I doubt we will ever see the full experience though as consoles ultimately are oriented around living room gaming - sofa and a big screen not sitting at a desk.

Some xbox games already have support for mouse and keyboard. Rumors are the next consoles will have proper native support. The games will have to if they want to use the same package on PC.

It looks like Microsoft is trying to replace the gaming PC with their closed xbox ecosystem tbh. It's probably going to fail though.

Soldato
Fwiw the moves they've made to make Xbox games available on windows store has been really positive. I've played a bunch of them. Apart from earlier on (Forza 6 apex but even that works well now) they've done real well. On pc they are built using UWP and most of their releases support stuff you'd expect a pc game to, like graphics settings, fov and res sliders as well as pc wheel keyboard and mouse support.

If all it means is they continue all this good stuff while Xbox ceases to be a console, becomes a platform and I can play red dead 2 etc with my progress porting over from console to pc and vice versa and I only have to buy a game once then I'm all for it.

Soldato
MS/Undead Labs ruined State of Decay 2 it is a right buggy disaster. I absolutely adored State of Decay and its remaster on Steam and was looking forward to 2. Just to download the damn thing took ages it would get to 24gb, stick, then go back to 5gb, then download 24gb then loop back. Had to do google searches to fix it in the end it was more hope and pray. After all that then playing the game it really is a step backwards. I uninstalled it in disgust in the vein hope if I leave it long enough it might have been patched to make a decent game. Still keep thinking whether I should try it again. Although I vowed never to buy a game through Windows Store again.

Also another note State of Decay 1 had some really good mods, MS controlled gaming distribution would mean no mods.

Back
Top Bottom