• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Intel 2500 non K

Permabanned
Hi,
I have an old set up with a 2500 non K variant. I was wondering if it would be suitable to run video at full HD/ 1080p without a graphics adapter? If so I'll bung it behind the TV in the living room and get some use out of it.

Soldato
The 2500 was be a power monster, pull it is drop an i3 in. I use an old i3 to run plex

I disagree. Idle power difference is about 20w from memory vs i3 2100, Intel are masters of power gating, that’s only going to be £20ish a year 24/7, hardly a ‘power monster’.

Soldato
What about load power deference

If we ignore the higher clock speed/improved single core performance, the two extra cores and support for additional hardware instructions (AES-NI), then https://techreport.com/review/20401/amd-e-350-fusion-apu-on-the-desktop/5 suggests idle is basically identical between an i3 2100 and i5 2500k and a 25w gap at full load. If the price difference at 100% load is £20ish/yr and the performance is greater in single core and significantly greater in multi core, then given a fixed task to do, the i5 will complete it more quickly and return to idle while the i3 continues to chug away or in a 24/7@100% scenario will complete potentially significantly more work in a given period. The numbers used in the graphs seem on the high side to me, but they were using a 600w PSU for systems that drew less than 1/4 of that and a GTX 460, using iGPU will drop that quite nicely as would using a more suitable PSU.

Associate
bear in mind you'll need a Z68 or newer chipset board - P67 didn't have on board video outputs so can't use the iGPU

edit: forgot about H67, that also supports it!

Soldato
bear in mind you'll need a Z68 or newer chipset board - P67 didn't have on board video outputs so can't use the iGPU

edit: forgot about H67, that also supports it!

Many of the chipsets supported iGPU, I run an i5 2500 (non K) on an H61, the other options were H67, Q67 which support iGPU and Z68 which did (some OEM’s pulled physical support). Basically the only chipset that lacked support was P67.

Last edited:
Associate
Still running a Q8200 with intel GMA G45 graphics as an HTPC (Linux Mint) . Sometimes get a little stutter on full HD but 720p plays fine (did have an Ati HD7750 in there but it died).

Back
Top Bottom