Racism or not?

Soldato
Extrmely poor timing i think as well. The Labour party already has antisemitism and racism as one of the dominating issues at the moment for them, so I can't quite understand why he would choose to create this debate at this point right now. Timing seems incredibly stupid. Why not let this be about helping people which is what the charity is for - why does it have to be turned and twisted into a debate about white people trying to be 'saviours' ?

Sigh.

Soldato
I didn't really answer the OP's question in my last post.

I'm not sure if its racism. But I'd say its a form of exploitation.

It's like if there is a homeless man and someone takes a picture of him, how is that helping him?

Soldato
It's like if there is a homeless man and someone takes a picture of him, how is that helping him?

Taking a picture of him isn't helping him. But if the homeless man happened to be a destitute village where women and children walk 20 miles or more to fetch water and people are dying of malnutrition, and if the photo was actually you providing food aid and building a well and irrigation to help them long-term, then it would. You see how just a couple of small adjustments to your analogy make it more accurate.

Now if someone takes a picture of all the above and shows it back here, that helps raise funds both through increasing awareness and because people like to feel they've done something good.

I honestly don't get this condemnation about feeling good about helping someone. It's like those who condemn genuinely cannot see taking satisfaction in doing some good or celebrating that. And that they cannot understand it other than to presume it must be some attempt to pander to others for praise. It's the mentality of a narcissist. Are there some pharisees? Sure. Is Comic Relief just some exercise in patting each other on the back? No - it saves lives. And there's no reason at all to suppose that Stacey Dooley (not a "celebrity" but a respected reporter, someone should explain to Lammy) isn't doing this because she wants to help. Half the point is to raise awareness and stir compassion in the people back home. He doesn't seem to understand that or how important the work he's knocking actually is. And the ones who just want to tear down such operations or act like it, seem to demand that everything be done to some unfalsifiable standard of showing one feels suitably guilty about helping. **** those people - they never do anything.

Caporegime
I wonder would he have complained as much if it were a black celeb there instead of her?

Well he couldn't exactly refer to a Black British Black person from another developed country as a "white saviour" for a start, that comment/snub directed at her is based in part on her race ergo is racist.

Soldato
What will the world be like when there is no racism, i.e Africa is developed....

A lot of people seem to have this fantasy if the west never went into Africa then it would look like Wakanda, the reality is they'd all still be starving in mud huts while warlords make their lives miserable

yes it does.....it needs them in whatever sodding colour they happen to come in.....white, green, yellow, brown, pink......any colour at all.......another moron MP that needs to **** off back up his own bumhole. that said, stacey dooley can **** off too.

This, maybe Limmy should consider that all white people withdraw all out support because our white money is not good enough? No, i didn't think so the ungrateful ****

Soldato
A lot of people seem to have this fantasy if the west never went into Africa then it would look like Wakanda, the reality is they'd all still be starving in mud huts while warlords make their lives miserable

This is historically true - during the Scramble for Africa period where European countries raced to divide up the continent between them we're more or less blameless for the state of Africa. It's not like it was as developed as Europe and you can even credibly argue (if you're brave) that European settlement in Africa did some good. However, that has changed in the modern era and I can give you a long list of wrongs we have done in recent times or are still doing right now. From the egregious (Israel selling weapons to the perpetrators of the Rwandan genocide) to the subtle (such as the way the EU prevents the UK from buying cheap agricultural goods from African farmers who want to sell it to us to protect Spanish and Italian farmers). The historical truth of your statement shouldn't be used to conceal the present reality.

This, maybe Limmy should consider that all white people withdraw all out support because our white money is not good enough? No, i didn't think so the ungrateful ****

Lammy is more concerned with racial identity politics in our country and microaggressions than the fate of actually suffering people in Africa. Everyone should just ignore him - that would be best.

Soldato
Now if someone takes a picture of all the above and shows it back here, that helps raise funds both through increasing awareness and because people like to feel they've done something good.

I think a lot of people have given money over the years yet we never see any major improvement.

The first time I remember thinking of world issues was in infact school in 1984. I think it was the band aid were different singers came together about feeding the world. I remember we had to put coins on a big paper elephant then at the end we had to count up all the coins and donate them to the charity.

1984 to 2019 = 35 years, and those countries are still in the same situation they was back then. There seems to be no progress and when we hear the break down of how much money per £1 goes to people (i.e. after the greedy charity bosses take their cut, and the corrupt government takes their cut) its hardly anything. I think people are sick of this constant begging for charity when nothing changes. Someone is getting rich from the money good people are giving. Celebrity endorsements seems to be another way the charities are using to get people to give money. I'm not blaming Dooley herself as I think shes just taken part in a corrupt charity system that as been around for many years.

This is slightly off topic and born out of frustration. But I'd advocate western countries taking over the management and running of some african countries in order to directly solve this crisis as the leaders for at least 35 years and beyond have done nothing.

With all the charity money UK has donated in 35 years they should have millions, and considering even a few pennies is probably worth a months wages, there should be entire cities built by now.

Another off-topic comment but Gaddafi in Libya had found a way to grow plants in the desert using a watering system, before he was removed from power. Since his death nothing more as been mentioned about that. If it had been put in to practice then Africa could have fed itself. But now its stuck in the old power structure and the people are still suffering.

Associate
White savours? Yeah, that's racist.

He speaks for all black people!! If you're white stop giving your money, clearly, they don't want it.

Soldato
I'm a bit in-different to Stacey Dooley over this as he does have a point in general but she is there for good reasons, but, particularly with the instagram generation, where it seems to be a fairly common thing for women to be pictured holding a random black toddler in Africa as if it's some sort of fashion accessory.
I think it's unfair to paint her as part of the "Instagram generation". She's actually done a lot of interesting, hard-hitting investigative shows and comes across as very intelligent and caring. I certainly wouldn't lump her in with your average "TV presenter".

Jan Moir? She still has a job? Oh wait... DM.. :o

Soldato
This is slightly off topic and born out of frustration. But I'd advocate western countries taking over the management and running of some african countries in order to directly solve this crisis as the leaders for at least 35 years and beyond have done nothing.

just take over? I think you gotta start a war, kill a lotta people.. then you gotta some how westernise and educate the population...

Soldato
Not really. Speak to any black person for long enough and the subject of their race always rears their ugly head. Same doesn't happen to any other race i speak to.

I think that's more a (bad) reflection of the general population than the person in question...

Soldato
According to my mate Jamal, black people can't be racist so he's done nothing wrongg here.

Reverse the roles, "Don't need any more black.. etc" She would be fired from her job, probably arrested.

I'm so fucknig sick to death with the double standards in this country, one rule for one and one rule for another.

QFT.

Soldato
Lol let's see that loud mouth over there doing something then. If I donate can my money go to white kids only? Don't want to be accused of any white saviour syndrome or whatever!

Lammy what a ****

Back
Top Bottom