Metro: Exodus [E3 2017]

Soldato
Hi, is this worth getting?

I see it's on cdkeys for £45, anywhere cheaper?

I haven't played any other Metro games.
Not played it myself yet but from what I have seen it's worth getting. I'll be buying it later though, once price gone down and it is on Steam.

You don't HAVE to have played the other Metro games, but since it is about the same character, it would be easier to understand some of the things that happens in Exodus if having played the others. If you not in a rush, grab Metro 2033 Redux version when it is on a sale and if you like that one, then Metro Last Light (or both if they come in a package which they done in the past).

From what I seen of Exodus it is more open world then Metro 2033 (which I am currently playing for the first time) but Exodus is a semi open world, if that make sense.

As for cheaper price if in a rush for the game, see the post above. :p

Associate
Struggling a little with this having never played the first two.

I seem to be dying a fair bit. Should I be avoiding most monsters and people as much as possible? Monsters dont even drop looks so assuming I should avoid them where possible.

Also having some sort of quest log would be nice - only seems to give info the main quest unless im missing something?

I got a key from a prisoner and he said use it in the terminal, just googled it seems its further into the game. I like the fact its not holding your hand but at least logging that I have a key would for 'terminal' would be nice.

Any tips aside from just play it on what I should/shouldn't be doing?

Will try DLSS again after patch then if its better it looked terrible before compared to native.

Thanks,
Sean

Carry a shotgun for monsters and get the long barrel upgrade for more concentrated power at longer ranges.

I used the Ashot and Revolver for most of the game. The revolver I upgrade to a rifle for long range and Ashot with dual barrel for in close. Both have high power so kills with fewer rounds. You end up with more ammo than you can use. Use guns/upgrades that boost power over fire rate, otherwise you waste ammo.

Associate
This game has the best gun sounds I've ever heard. I love how you can hear a shot echo back from the hills like thunder. Some of the big guns can be heard for several seconds after a shot when out in the open. Totally different shot sounds depending on the environment.

Using a 1440 monitor it runs great on my 2080 at Ultra with Ray Tracing on and DLSS off, everything else enabled. Ray Tracing is amazing. Tried going back to play without and couldn't do it. DLSS is not useful unless you want to run Ray Tracing and otherwise can't do it. It runs the game at a lower res and up samples, so you end up with a blurry image, although I its pretty impressive for an up sample.

Soldato
Has anyone been able to work around the gamma issue? As in, even on the lowest setting (brightness adjuster) it's still far too bright? Blacks are so greyed out it's horrible.

Associate
Has anyone been able to work around the gamma issue? As in, even on the lowest setting (brightness adjuster) it's still far too bright? Blacks are so greyed out it's horrible.

Is it the same with and without RTX, and under both DX11 and DX12? If you take a screenshot does it look the same when displayed outside of the game?

Soldato
Is it the same with and without RTX, and under both DX11 and DX12? If you take a screenshot does it look the same when displayed outside of the game?

Looks the same in all options. I'll try the screenshot idea. Could be it's own gamma settings in full screen mode. Didn't think of that, good shout.

EDIT: Of course, Epic launcher doesn't have screenshot capability... Why am I even bothering trying this game?

EDIT 2: I can't get Fraps, or others to actually capture a screenshot lol...

Last edited:
Soldato
Na, I'm done, uninstalling this pile of ****. Wasted $60 in the hopes 1, the game wouldn't be so buggy, so many crashes and HORRIBLE UI to change any options and these graphical issues and 2, Epic launcher wouldn't be this bad. What a joke. And no refund policy despite barely getting 15 mins of playtime? Utter joke.

For those curious, there is a refund policy thank god, has to be within 14 days and no more than 2 hours spent in the title and obviously bought directly from Epic. I just requested one.

Associate
Looks the same in all options. I'll try the screenshot idea. Could be it's own gamma settings in full screen mode. Didn't think of that, good shout.

EDIT: Of course, Epic launcher doesn't have screenshot capability... Why am I even bothering trying this game?

EDIT 2: I can't get Fraps, or others to actually capture a screenshot lol...

I had that problem too. Install Geforce Experience and use Alt-F1 to take screenshots.

I didn't seen others having this issue after a quick search, so it might just be an issue with your config.

Did you try installing the latest video driver and checking the "clean install" option, in case the issue is a hosed driver?

Soldato
I had that problem too. Install Geforce Experience and use Alt-F1 to take screenshots.

I didn't seen others having this issue after a quick search, so it might just be an issue with your config.

Did you try installing the latest video driver and checking the "clean install" option, in case the issue is a hosed driver?

Also make sure Windows 10 is updated to version 1809. Click start and type WINVER.

1809, latest nvidia drivers, it's an odd issue, a few people have complained about the gamma being way off. It's odd, all other games are entirely fine... Odd. Refund requested now anyway. My monitor is a Asus ROG Swift PG297Q, which I've calibrated as well (2.2 gamma), so it's not that.

https://www.gamerevolution.com/guides/501621-metro-exodus-pc-color-display-bug-fix

The main problem that people are coming across is black turning to a washed out blue or gray hue in the gamma settings

Furthermore, sorry for potato quality pic, it's 2250 here, but just to show the screen or gamma settings are not off. Heres a black level calibration image. The darkest square is just about distinguishable as it should be.

https://i.imgur.com/s6Q1fJm.png

Last edited:
Associate
Yeah that’s weird. The only issue I’ve seen is sometimes with Ray Tracing enabled the game gets way too dark, nearly all black except right at light sources, and I have to restart for it to go back to normal. That’s happebed few times.

Soldato
Yeah that’s weird. The only issue I’ve seen is sometimes with Ray Tracing enabled the game gets way too dark, nearly all black except right at light sources, and I have to restart for it to go back to normal. That’s happebed few times.

Yea, I'll check back in a year or so and hope it's been sorted as I was looking forward to it. But not enough to taint it with a bug like that. Plus, really wanted to try RTX as it seems no other games (Bar BF5) are adopting it anytime soon lol.

Man of Honour
Not played it myself yet but from what I have seen it's worth getting. I'll be buying it later though, once price gone down and it is on Steam.

You don't HAVE to have played the other Metro games, but since it is about the same character, it would be easier to understand some of the things that happens in Exodus if having played the others. If you not in a rush, grab Metro 2033 Redux version when it is on a sale and if you like that one, then Metro Last Light (or both if they come in a package which they done in the past).

From what I seen of Exodus it is more open world then Metro 2033 (which I am currently playing for the first time) but Exodus is a semi open world, if that make sense.

As for cheaper price if in a rush for the game, see the post above. :p
Well I got it last night, not on Steam as I didn't think it's going back on that. I think I own one of the other games, I'll look through my library.

Man of Honour
It will be on Steam next year. The deal they made with Epic is just for one year. In any case, hope you will enjoy the game ! :)
Maybe I should have played the original first and then got it on Steam next year. But to be honest I didn't want to wait that long.

Man of Honour
Surprised to see a Mack review on this. He really isn't doing himself any favours (healthwise), he should have taken a much longer break than he has done.

Personally I think he should have stopped all together and changed his career to something which doesn't work him 70-80 hours a week, but if not he should have at least taken longer than a 1 week break imo. Hope it doesn't all repeat for him.

In terms of Metro, I'm still waiting for the price to drop, once it hits £30 that's when I will pull the purchase trigger.

Associate
Probably exagarating at 70 to 80 hrs and most of it is spent sitting on his arse playing computer games anyway.
If he thinks that's hard work the docter should prescribe and few weeks work at a proper hard job, he wouldn't complain about it again.

Got metro downloaded now so looking forward to getting the kids to bed and getting a shot on it.

Back
Top Bottom