theHunter: Call of the Wild

Soldato
One of the best looking environment games out at the moment, i have everything on ultra and all enabled, as i want the best looking graphics, why have you turned a lot of settings off ? i am only running on 780ti, mind you my fps goes down quiet a lot sometimes.
I need a solid 60fps. I don’t have binocular vision and get headaches if a game dips much below. I hate screen tearing too and don’t have freesync or gsync monitor.

I suspect I’d be ok with around 50fps and a g/free sync screen.

Associate
How long did you all wait to check out a new reserve after leyton? Did you do all the missions or collect more guns or did you move earlier?

Does mission progress save between reserves?

Also I just read that the zeroing perk artificially adds bullet drop (2017 post) and that you are better off without it. Is that true?

Associate
I'm no expert but yeah , you can move between reserves anytime you like , do some stuff, go back to wherever and the mission progress is still there. As are the purple pressure zones (they take forever to go away) I've been rotating all the maps, doing the missions until I get a tricky one that I can't be arsed with and then going somewhere else.

The Zeroing perk works quite well with Rifles. Not so much with bows.

Just make sure that you have it set right for the distance to the animal every time you draw one up. Check with the rangefinder first.

Soldato
Also I just read that the zeroing perk artificially adds bullet drop (2017 post) and that you are better off without it. Is that true?
I haven't tested this but from personal experience I believe there may be some truth that activating the zeroing perk increases bullet drop, before I got the perk I seemed to have fewer misses at all distances than after choosing and activating zeroing, due to not having properly set the distance before taking the shot. It may be that they added bullet drop through this perk for people who wanted a more realistic experience and have a flatter trajectory for the masses, or it could be that before you are able to change the settings the scopes are all set for middle distance......I don't know if I would choose this perk in another playthrough, it's frustrating having the opportunity to take a quick fire shot at something close by but missing because the scope is set to 300m.

Associate
To be honest I can't even see what zeroing does. I press f when I am hunting to switch between distances but nothing seems to actually happen. I thought it would auto position the rifle/scope but it does not.

Got the 7mm magnum regent and went on a moose/elk rampage this evening, it's a good reward for hours of effort. Have to say the 30 - 30 is a letdown though, I read that it is poor at long range but should hit harder than the .243 or 270 at close range yet deers just won't drop. At one point I put 3 hollow point bullets into a whitetail deer and I still had to track it for a few hundred meters before it dropped. I have switched to soft point as it has better penetration but it seems weird that the cheaper bullets may be better. Have yet to put that to the test though. Going to stick with it although I am regretting the purchase.

Soldato
I have a few weapons but just use a bow and the 338, even on the hares :)

I need to get back to doing the missions, as I just walk around the Africa map firing at whatever comes along.

Caporegime
OP
.243 is best all round gun. 7mm is a great all rounder. 338 is for when you want to send stuff flying yet probably not as good at range as the 7mm.

missions are great. africa has a great story line.

Associate
New patch today. They fixed Fernando - well, sort of.

I got so peed off with the complete lack of wildlife in Parque Fernando that I just bombed around on an ATV doing the missions. Really good fun.

So today they release a patch and I go back to one of the stone circle challenges I was stuck on and lo and behold - there are tracks absolutely everywhere. Pumas just wandering around , Level 7 Red Deer - the works. I ran into a a whole herd. They certainly weren't there this morning.

Then later on today I had a weird one where i went to an undiscovered Lookout point on my ATV. Opened up the location then a sound like a whole herd of Buffalo had arrived started up. So I wander down the stairs and there's a buffalo looking like it's on a treadmill stuck directly underneath the tower. I had to empty 8 rounds from my 45 (gaucho - love that gun) into it before it eventually died and the noise stopped. Crazy stuff.

I'm 175 hours in and level 47. Still loving it. Even though it's maddening at times.

Caporegime
OP
yeah i did a video on it also. the new trophy lodge is very detailed and a great addition to the game. if you going to try the beta pc only on steam make sure you do today as it ends tomorrow.

Soldato
Finally played Parque Fernando and it’s gorgeous and runs very well, much better than Africa map which for some reason tanks my fps.

Soldato
bought this a week weeks back and really enjoy it but feel like I'm not quite getting it!
average game goes like this:
sneak around for a while til i spot a moose (or dear / bear) > sneak up on it very slowly til i get a clear shot at its chest
shoot it, and shoot it again > spend the next 5 minutes running after its blood trail til it eventually crosses paths with another animal trail and I lose it.
repeat.
around 1 in 5 times I'll actually find the corpse and feel like a champ.

is this normal for those just starting out?

Back
Top Bottom