• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

GTX 1660TI

Soldato
Thank you Nvidia for giving us 3 year old 1070 performance with 2GB less Vram for $280, you truly are the gamers best friend.

While no longer for sale, before it was EOL the GTX1070 was selling at $750 over here downunder
The GTX 1660ti are priced around $500 and rtx 2060 around $650

We probably just get ripped off here, but the 1660ti is priced significantly under the 1070 price

These cards are great for people on 9 series cards or 7 series cards or new gamers to PC and even for AMD owners on the 400 or 500 series
For existing 10 series owners, it's not a big upgrade and that's fine, it doesn't need to be because your games will still be running fine.
If you need a reason to upgrade, buy a high refresh or high resolution monitor first

Associate
Feels a bit overpriced for being equal to a nearly 3 year old mid-high range card. You see what happens when there is no competition...

Soldato
You may get some flak for calling the 1070 mid-range, when the 10 series was first released it was the 2nd fastest card in the 10 series line up until the ti models came much later.
It may be mid-range now given all the models but was high end with the 1080 being enthusiast until the ti models arrived.

As for price, it is indeed - we'll only see what the real price value is once Navi is out to provide some competition and we see some price cuts

Soldato
You may get some flak for calling the 1070 mid-range, when the 10 series was first released it was the 2nd fastest card in the 10 series line up until the ti models came much later.
It may be mid-range now given all the models but was high end with the 1080 being enthusiast until the ti models arrived.

It an old ocuk gpu section argument.

Some people are apparently obessesed by die size and think that the traditional xx70 and xx80 cards that commonly (in the past - pre Turing) preceded the xx80ti and Titan cards are 'mid range' because they generally had smaller GPU dies then the previous gen titan/ xx80ti cards (even through they generally outperformed the card at the same position in the stack from the last gen... I. E xx70 vs precious gen xx80ti and the same for the xx80 and previous gen Titan).

Of course this doesn't work so much post RTX with the 2070 not being far of the size, die wise, of the previous gen 1080ti (445 vs 471mm2)

The 1070 only really starts to significantly slide down the performance stack if you, after the fact, review the whole panoply of '10'/Pascal series cards Inc the multiple pascal Titans.

Like you state at release the 1070 wasn't 'mid range' performance wise with it being generally faster than a 980ti with more memory (there's always one or two with their expensive 980ti's clocked to the wall who will say otherwise)

Associate
What made you decide on that one rather than spend an extra £30ish on the 2060. I only ask as that's the one I was looking at but it's priced that close to the 2060 I can't decide .

The MSI GTX 1660Ti Gaming X I bought was on a weekend sale so it only cost £10 more than the basic Asus GTX 1660Ti Phoenix model to the normal price. So it was still about £65 cheaper than a RTX 2060.
The RTX 2060 has never really been a consideration of mine, since I think it's an odd card. While it supports RT & DLSS it isn't really powerfully enough to utilize these techniques at their max, and that 6GB vram buffer at that price concerns me. Had it been an 8GB card I would have considered it for it performance but not RT/DLSS.

Back
Top Bottom