• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Nvidia DLSS 5 months on-a win or fail?

Associate
Lets hope it learns a lot by the time the 3000 series is out and there are more than a handful of games that support it :p

Even more importantly, Jensen needs to learn that he cannot keep increasing prices. the 3080 Ti needs to be priced similar to the 1080 Ti, maybe max £100 more.

Really hard to get off the hate train when you’ve already boarded. It’s embarrasing to get off the next stop and admit you got on the wrong train...

Metro update has been like and week and look at it now... it’s looks brilliant and will only improve from here. To me it’s bang near 4k and with MUCH better performance.

Soldato
Looks good.
Does make me ask the question why BFV has not improved yet. Metro has seen so much RT and DLSS Love already. Must buy it at some point and give it a try with a 2080 at 1440P.
As above not showing patch before and after framerate which would be interesting but with the improved image quality that's still a massive difference in FPS between DLSS on and off, even if a tiny bit has been given away in FPS, althoughwe don't know if that is the case.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Really hard to get off the hate train when you’ve already boarded. It’s embarrasing to get off the next stop and admit you got on the wrong train...

Metro update has been like and week and look at it now... it’s looks brilliant and will only improve from here. To me it’s bang near 4k and with MUCH better performance.
Really not sure what you are on about tbh. Maybe go read my post again with an objective mindset?

Soldato
Looks good.
Does make me ask the question why BFV has not improved yet. Metro has seen so much RT and DLSS Love already. Must buy it at some point and give it a try with a 2080 at 1440P.
As above not showing patch before and after framerate which would be interesting but with the improved image quality that's still a massive difference in FPS between DLSS on and off, even if a tiny bit has been given away in FPS, althoughwe don't know if that is the case.

Still can't even see any significant improvement with RTX on in the first place though.

Associate
Looks good to me. When I one day get a 2170 I'll be checking it out frame rate vs quality.

Maybe they should make the DLSS options: Fail/Win/Off :)

Associate
Looks good to me. When I one day get a 2170 I'll be checking it out frame rate vs quality.

Maybe they should make the DLSS options: Fail/Win/Off :)
They could leave in the original blurred version and call it the 'salty tears look' for those who were adamant that DLSS would not improve.

Soldato

It's also hard to get on the hype train, especially when you can't use it, because the resolution of your display(s) is not supported. So even though I have the hardware, DLSS is useless. :)

Soldato
Agree with everything in that video, also confirms what I said about DLSS requires Ray Tracing. Battlefield 5 all resolution and metro 1440p with a 2080.
Your statement is wrong?at 4K DLSS can be used in Metro using a 2080 Ti without RT. So it doesn't require RT, it requires low enough FPS for it to work well.
That aspect is still a little disappointing as I original thought it would be something that could just boost performance without RT across all RT GPU's and resolutions. Hey ho :)

Last edited:
Soldato
Your statement is wrong?at 4K DLSS can be used in Metro using a 2080 Ti without RT. So it doesn't require RT, it requires low enough FPS for it to work well.
That aspect is still a little disappointing as I original thought it would be something that could just boost performance without RT across all RT GPU's and resolutions. Hey ho :)

What point! in my post do I say 4K ? The video says at 1440p you can not use DLSS without using RT

Soldato
What point! in my post do I say 4K ? The video says at 1440p you can not use DLSS without using RT
Ah okay, your first statement was "Agree with everything in that video, also confirms what I said about DLSS requires Ray Tracing". Fair play now you've clarified further :).

As above, it's more to do with FPS. At lower FPS DLSS works better. At higher it could degrade performance. RT of course degrades performance hence most scenario;s where DLSS can be used is with RT.

This is different than I initially thought it would work too so is a little disappointing but not too bad.

Soldato
How so exactly? And in your post you’ve said it all. THE FIRST. First game. FIRST PASS. People are so entitled nowadays...

It’s new tech. There is always a learning curve with these things.

Personally I find DLSS to be awesome - but I have the perfect scenario for it - I game on a native 4k 60hz TV and I want to run the game at Ultra with Ray Tracing ON.
Without DLSS the game runs at 40fps, this gives the Tensor cores enough time to guestimate the missing pixels and so DLSS on gives me a rock solid 60fps.

I'd also tested 60 to 80% render scale - in my scenario DLSS has the same performance as about 65% render scale with the image quality around the same as 80% render, sometimes better. The only issue I have with DLSS is some things like water on walls have odd artifacting, so if 1800p had the same performance I'd use that instead, but it just doesn't, DLSS has much better performance than 1800p.

So while I got lucky, I can feel for others who have a 2080ti on a 1440p screen, they are going to get less value out of their cards because games aren't going to run at a framerate where DLSS is meaningful to them - Nvidia clearly ommitted the fact that DLSS just doesn't work well or at all above 60fps - but yeah, if you're getting 40fps like me and don't want to lower settings, DLSS is your best friend

Soldato
In a handful of games, not even a handful actually :p

Will be interesting to see how many games will support it by the end of the year.

It also means as graphics cards get more powerful, won't DLSS become less relevant? If the 2180Ti/3080Ti/2680Ti is 30% faster than the 2080Ti then at what resolution will there be any reason to use DLSS?

Mobster
Soldato
Wow, I take it back about DLSS, its just getting better and better.

I'm glad nVidia has said its now working on getting it running on ultrawides :)

Back
Top Bottom