LG 34GK950G, 3440x1440, G-Sync, 120Hz

Soldato
For me it's 3 main advantages;

I think I'd like HDR as a 'nice to have' and I'd prefer freesync over gsync, as long as I can guarantee it works. To be fair, I've been impressed with the ease of gsync, even though it's an incredibly pricey addition. From what you say, there's nothing to much that will make me pine for the LG - a superior product, but one that is priced accordingly. I always have such hassle deciding on a monitor, that I'm chuffed to find how much the AW agrees with me. It has two little corners of bleed which I'll have to convince myself don't matter, but otherwise I'm happy.

Hi All,

right, stock wise its not pretty

34GK950F and 34GK950G both have 0 stock for Feb, 45 of each coming in March, OCUK already agreed to take stocks so the wait is not great, but the product is so I hope its worth the wait :)

44 (one of those is going to be mine) :p

It will replace my trusty old Dell S2716DG 27" TN panel on my gaming rig which I've had for 3yrs... so I should notice a bit of a difference lol.

Dell-S2716DG.jpg

vs

LG-34GK950F-front-view.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
Hopefull when it does come back into stock it will reflect the promotion price in the US

https://www.lg.com/us/monitors/lg-34GK950F-B-gaming-monitor

34GK950F and 34GK950G both have 0 stock for Feb, 45 of each coming in March, OCUK already agreed to take stocks so the wait is not great, but the product is so I hope its worth the wait :)

Are we going to see some new "promotional" pricing as seen in the USA $799.99 ;), maybe £799.99 :)

Hopefull when it does come back into stock it will reflect the promotion price in the US

https://www.lg.com/us/monitors/lg-34GK950F-B-gaming-monitor

Are we going to see some new "promotional" pricing as seen in the USA $799.99 ;), maybe £799.99 :)

Have you read those 3 user reviews on that US LG site and seen their posted pics?

• Excessive light bleed @ 50% brightness.
    The bottom LHS is totally unacceptable.
This review gives some indication of what you should expect for a acceptable level of bleed.
https://pcmonitors.info/reviews/lg-34gk950f/

ae29271a-40be-52f4-a71c-46fc3eca501f

• And a black void line straight down the panel.
934bba7f-040d-58fe-ba45-f28cff46b2bd

:eek: Not good.

All of a sudden I'm not so sure.

Obviously these guys did not win the panel lottery, hopefully LG sorted them out with replacements.

Last edited:
Associate
Associate
So what makes this monitor worth £200-£300 more than the Acer Predator X34P?

..because I just don't see it.

For most gamers probably no value at all. For those who care about a wider and more accurate colour gamut (photos and media) may see the value though, although more so with the F model.

So what makes this monitor worth £200-£300 more than the Acer Predator X34P?

..because I just don't see it.

Absolutely not worth the extra £££.
But options are currently limited.

3440x1440 panels with gen1 G-sync modules don't reach 144hz.
I have nothing against G-sync it works well and results are consistent.

But there is also now no reason to limit yourself to a proprietary eco system going forward.

Last edited:
Soldato
Is there a 34" IPS widescreen which is 100hz+, freesync, in stock and costs less than a grand?

I am genuinely interested to learn if there is such a beast. My recent hunt for a monitor made me think that there are several segments of the market which lack a viable freesync alternative to gysnc. 27" IPS being another area - monitors are coming, but reviews are hard to find.

I've been monitoring this thread for quite some time. I came close to buying a 34GK950G when they were in stock late December and then an "F" the day Nvidia announced the "G-Sync compatible" driver update. I missed the 3 monitors that suddenly popped in to stock in Jan and have been wary of buying the "B Grade" models for fear of dead pixels. But I just couldn't get rid of the itch to buy and couldn't wait so when I realized that there was a website advertised on Google (I won't name them here but something to do with New and Easter!) that had new "G"s in stock at a price that even after VAT, import duty and shipping came in at less than £950 I couldn't resist. For the past 5 days I've been watching my new monitor taking its road trip of the US and its Transatlantic flight to Stanstead courtesy of FedEx online tracking. It's been fun and honestly has been adding to the anticipation. So, it arrived today! The box was intact - not as much as a dent. I unboxed it, connected it up and plugged it in - WOW!!! Yep everything I'd been looking forward to! My GTX1070 had set the resolution to the native 3440x1440 but at 60Hz. Using Nvidia control panel I switched that up to 100Hz. No option for 120Hz??? I started to check out the on-screen display features and played with the background lighting (which actually isn't garish at all) and then I found the "Overclock" setting - the key to 120Hz! I duly selected it - why wouldn't I? it was there to be selected! An on-screen message told me that the monitor would reboot and when finished I needed to choose the appropriate refresh rate in the PC settings. And that unfortunately was the last time it worked!! :mad: It tried to reboot, it really, really tried … and kept trying for 20 minutes, I power cycled it, no change - a continuous cycling of the rear mood lighting but nothing from the screen at all. I called LG UK and a very helpful chap (Andy) told me that unfortunately my new monitor was now bricked and I should return it!!! Nothing could be done to salvage it, no soft reset option, no ability to return it to the original factory settings. And so one minute it was there and the next it was no more! So, next step was to contact the RMA department back in the USA and they were as helpful as they could be. They agreed to RMA it and DHL will take it away free of charge - but being an international order they won't do a straight swap just a refund. They suggested that I reorder but the price is now £200 more than it was 5 days ago and they won't price match for international orders.

I thought I'd share this story for a few reasons and none of them were to be the recipient of troll abuse.
1. To say that whilst my relationship with my 34GK950G was VERY short lived, I was very impressed with the overall package and will definitely get another one just as soon as Overclockers get them in stock.
2. I'm wondering whether the overclocked G-Sync module is the cause of scarcity - and wonder whether anyone else has had this problem?
3. To highlight that these rare beasts are available from the US at significant discounts to those in the UK and that will inevitably lead to people buying them there - I'm pretty sure that the bricking had nothing to do with the journey.
4. Finally, a request to this forum to ask if anyone else has had this issue and managed to fix it? I'd rather find a way to reset than have to ship back if possible.

I've posted a short 11 second video of the monitor trying to reboot- the "dimming" you see isn't the video cycling its the boot-cycle restarting.

Last edited:
Associate
I've been monitoring this thread for quite some time. I came close to buying a 34GK950G when they were in stock late December and then an "F" the day Nvidia announced the "G-Sync compatible" driver update. I missed the 3 monitors that suddenly popped in to stock in Jan and have been wary of buying the "B Grade" models for fear of dead pixels. But I just couldn't get rid of the itch to buy and couldn't wait so when I realized that there was a website advertised on Google (I won't name them here but something to do with New and Easter!) that had new "G"s in stock at a price that even after VAT, import duty and shipping came in at less than £950 I couldn't resist. For the past 5 days I've been watching my new monitor taking its road trip of the US and its Transatlantic flight to Stanstead courtesy of FedEx online tracking. It's been fun and honestly has been adding to the anticipation. So, it arrived today! The box was intact - not as much as a dent. I unboxed it, connected it up and plugged it in - WOW!!! Yep everything I'd been looking forward to! My GTX1070 had set the resolution to the native 3440x1440 but at 60Hz. Using Nvidia control panel I switched that up to 100Hz. No option for 120Hz??? I started to check out the on-screen display features and played with the background lighting (which actually isn't garish at all) and then I found the "Overclock" setting - the key to 120Hz! I duly selected it - why wouldn't I? it was there to be selected! An on-screen message told me that the monitor would reboot and when finished I needed to choose the appropriate refresh rate in the PC settings. And that unfortunately was the last time it worked!! :mad: It tried to reboot, it really, really tried … and kept trying for 20 minutes, I power cycled it, no change - a continuous cycling of the rear mood lighting but nothing from the screen at all. I called LG UK and a very helpful chap (Andy) told me that unfortunately my new monitor was now bricked and I should return it!!! Nothing could be done to salvage it, no soft reset option, no ability to return it to the original factory settings. And so one minute it was there and the next it was no more! So, next step was to contact the RMA department back in the USA and they were as helpful as they could be. They agreed to RMA it and DHL will take it away free of charge - but being an international order they won't do a straight swap just a refund. They suggested that I reorder but the price is now £200 more than it was 5 days ago and they won't price match for international orders.

I thought I'd share this story for a few reasons and none of them were to be the recipient of troll abuse.
1. To say that whilst my relationship with my 34GK950G was VERY short lived, I was very impressed with the overall package and will definitely get another one just as soon as Overclockers get them in stock.
2. I'm wondering whether the overclocked G-Sync module is the cause of scarcity - and wonder whether anyone else has had this problem?
3. To highlight that these rare beasts are available from the US at significant discounts to those in the UK and that will inevitably lead to people buying them there - I'm pretty sure that the bricking had nothing to do with the journey.
4. Finally, a request to this forum to ask if anyone else has had this issue and managed to fix it? I'd rather find a way to reset than have to ship back if possible.

I've posted a short 11 second video of the monitor trying to reboot- the "dimming" you see isn't the video cycling its the boot-cycle restarting.

I feel ya pain that sucks.. I was lucky and got my g version from here within the first batch of pre-orders. Love the monitor very nice but no perfect.. if only a perfect screen existed hey. Anyway best of luck getting the refund and getting another one.

Soldato
I would read that, but the wall of text is too much for me, please put into paragraphs!

Also on the F model, someone said about a firmware update improving the lag, is this correct? What is the lag now on the F? If they have improved that, there is not much reason get the G model.

Soldato
I would read that, but the wall of text is too much for me, please put into paragraphs!

To summarise, he tried using the overclock feature on his 34GK950G which he patiently waited to arrive for quite a while. And the monitor got stuck in a rebooting cycle, completely unusable regardless of what he did (including unplugging from the power and replugging). He was advised to send it back (RMA) as LG said it was "bricked", but this would come at an expense to him compared to what he originally paid. So a very unfortunate experience, in other words.

He's also curious if anybody else has had a similar experience. From user feedback I've gathered on the model, I'd say no. It's the first report of this sort I've seen and I'm quite in-tune with feedback on this model. So seems to be a rare dud, nonetheless annoying to experience.

Man of Honour

Also on the F model, someone said about a firmware update improving the lag, is this correct? What is the lag now on the F? If they have improved that, there is not much reason get the G model.
Old lag vs new lag and details of the firmware upgrade here :)

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/lg_34gk950f.htm

Back
Top Bottom