• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The RX Vega 56 Owners Thread

Associate
For whatever reason, I didn't have the latest Radeon drivers installed, despite downloading from the website. I did manage to get the card running a bit cooler and quieter with the old drivers, but with the new ones the fans have finally stopped spinning.

With the Pulse card, I've located the bios switch, but it doesn't mention in the manual which position is which? Can anyone shed some light?

I'm also running a 520W Seasonic 80+ Bronze PSU (gpu impulse buy, lol). I've seen conflicting reports about PSU sizes, but for now I would prefer to not upgrade. Am I risking my system?
I'm not planning on doing anything but undervolting it for the time being to be honest.
Switching the bios switch left, towards the rear of the case, is power saver mode, to the right, towards front of the case is performance.
Try both - but you might find powersave better for you. (I find it gives better min fps for not much performance hit)
Try P6 and P7 @ 1000 and 1050mv, as mentioned above.
Push the power slider to +50%.
Run heaven in windowed mode - it'll crash if it doesn't like the settings.

You'll only know if your PSU is good enough by trying it - can't see it damaging your system - the Vega card would probably crash first, it's full of sensors.

A good PSU though (eg superflower, EVGA) will form the backbone of your system for years to come.

Associate
The recommended power supply rating is 650w. I would say you have been very lucky. The best way to find out would be to get a power meter and see what you are pulling from the wall.

Associate
Is it normal for core clock to move around slightly? I'm folding I get like 1609mhz but in gaming it hovers around 1590mhz.

Also I set p6 as minimum. Is that a bad idea?
Yes, they move around on my V64. Both those speeds sound good.
People set P7 as minimum and that seems to work for them, so P6 should be ok too.
Reading your posts, yours sounds like it has good settings and performance.

Associate
my Nitro + limited edition came yesterday

in valley & heaven it scores much lower than my 1070 amp! extreme both at stock

but I must say the gaming experience is a funny one? the gameplay feels really fast i.e very little input lag all round better experience, is this due to it being hbm2 memory? or maybe because im actually using freesync for the first time?

my memory says micron? im trying to tweak it atm but it seems around 1600 is my limit on core and about 850 on mem
Try undervolting it and pushing the powerslider to +50% - you'll get much better bench scores - superposition is a better bench than heaven now.

Associate
Hi Guys I recently purchased and installed a MSI Radeon RX VEGA 56 Air Boost OC 8GB. Installation went fine but when I use the HDMI audio i get a crackling and distorted audio sound. It is producing the same in Win 10 and Ubuntu. has anybody had any issues like this?

Soldato
Fortunately my Vega 56 is free from whine, but I have owned many cards that suffered this. The only ways I found to quieten whine were to use Vsync, or by enabling Frame Rate Target Control within AMD control panel. Whine tends to be most noticeable during extremely-high frame rates, so limiting fps to 60Hz (or 144Hz if you have a freesync monitor) should reduce the noise.

If you still hear terrible noise when locked to 60Hz I suggest returning the card.

Associate
Hi Guys I recently purchased and installed a MSI Radeon RX VEGA 56 Air Boost OC 8GB. Installation went fine but when I use the HDMI audio i get a crackling and distorted audio sound. It is producing the same in Win 10 and Ubuntu. has anybody had any issues like this?

I have had that yes. Though I have not explored it further since I use a sound card instead so it doesn't really impact me.

It only started happening after some of the more recent driver and windows updates.

Soldato
With vega I would go with EVGA all day long I had to replace a seasonic in the past which had terrible coil whine. So far I've built 3 systems with EVGA power supplies and vega graphics cards no coil whine. I understand superflower make EVGA power supplies as well so you should be ok with those. For Vega 56 I would not go lower than 700 watts.

I've got an EVGA 650w and my Pulse 56 squeals under load. Not return-the-card bad, but it's audible.

Associate
I have had that yes. Though I have not explored it further since I use a sound card instead so it doesn't really impact me.

It only started happening after some of the more recent driver and windows updates.

Thanks mate, I was going to return the card, but i purchased a lead long enough to use onboard sound. Headphones until it comes i guess! btw well impressed with this card

Associate
The recommended power supply rating is 650w. I would say you have been very lucky. The best way to find out would be to get a power meter and see what you are pulling from the wall.

Recommended yes, but as long as you're not overclocking the hell out of it, then it's not an absolute requirement.

Associate
I'm running a EVGA G3 550W PSU with a nicely overclocked 2600k and I've seen no issues. My vega is drawing ~160w though at load.

I must say this sapphire vega 56 pulse is absolutely brilliant. Found my sweet spot at 1600mhz core and 950mhz memory at 950mv. I can bench higher at 1050mv but I haven't even tried higher since it seems pointless. On BF5 at 1440p I get minimum frames 56 and average 70 at maximum settings bar AA which is low. It's also good to know I can flash a 64 bios in future if need be but at the moment what I have now is perfect for me.

How can you argue at that for £280 and three top games.

I just hope the rumoured rx 3080 isn't as good as they say. Although I highly doubt a 2070 performing gpu will be £250 at release.

Soldato
Set power-limt to +50% (it will only be used if needed to sustain MHz), leave clocks at default, lower P6 & P7 to 1000mv and 1050mv respectuively.

If the card starts getting too hot it will drop MHz, but with 1000mv on P6 it should sustain P6 frequency or slightly higher. The problem is more-likely the cooler than the GPU itself. You could even try dropping volts to 950mv.

Temps @ 70-deg are fine.

Tried this last night, the highest clock I can get is 1545 with p6 at 1050 and p7 at 1125

Any higher or lower and the clocks drop, temps at low 70's with auto fan

Memory is happy at 900 not tried higher than that for memory

It's odd I feel like I'm missing something, what about all the other p states are they just irrelevant? Is it worth upping the clock speeds on p6 and p7? The card doesn't crash at all it didn't crash once all evening when I was changing p states, i can drop them down to 950 on p6 and it won't crash it just won't enter that p state the clocks just drop to the p state before

What am I missing can't help but think I'm missing something

Associate
Tried this last night, the highest clock I can get is 1545 with p6 at 1050 and p7 at 1125

Any higher or lower and the clocks drop, temps at low 70's with auto fan

Memory is happy at 900 not tried higher than that for memory

It's odd I feel like I'm missing something, what about all the other p states are they just irrelevant? Is it worth upping the clock speeds on p6 and p7? The card doesn't crash at all it didn't crash once all evening when I was changing p states, i can drop them down to 950 on p6 and it won't crash it just won't enter that p state the clocks just drop to the p state before

What am I missing can't help but think I'm missing something

Try setting the fan to max speed as a test.
If you get higher clocks you may be cooling limited.

And don't forget to click the small "apply" button at the top of wattman. I didn't notice this in the beginning and nothing changed.

Because these cards throttle rather than crash you need to try different voltages and watch the clock speeds under load in a benchmark. (shift+ctrl+p)

I tested with the fan at 100% to find my fastest settings.
Then turned the fan down and got a feel for how the card throttles with temperature and tweaked to suit.

Edit - you may also find it easier to force p7 to minimum for testing.
You might want to turn p states back on for power saving but the less variables for testing the better.

Associate
Has anyone else who ordered i the last week got there game keys yet? mine just says Your key will be assigned as soon as it is available.

Do you mean the link? I got my game code link from OCUK about 5 minutes after ordering. Not been on the amd website yet though to claim.

Associate
so far so good still loving this vega 56 nitro + LE

its not as fast in benchmarks as my 1070 but the gameplay is sooo much better.. playing rocket league its silky smooth & better response times? definitely playing better because of it

I did mess around with overclocking it but it goes to around 1590mhz stock and memory is 800 stock I dont think it likes anything over 850 so I dont see much benefit in overclocking this one since it plays 3440x1440 100hz locked in rocket league lol

maybe when I start playing bf1 again

Soldato
Try setting the fan to max speed as a test.
If you get higher clocks you may be cooling limited.

And don't forget to click the small "apply" button at the top of wattman. I didn't notice this in the beginning and nothing changed.

Because these cards throttle rather than crash you need to try different voltages and watch the clock speeds under load in a benchmark. (shift+ctrl+p)

I tested with the fan at 100% to find my fastest settings.
Then turned the fan down and got a feel for how the card throttles with temperature and tweaked to suit.

Edit - you may also find it easier to force p7 to minimum for testing.
You might want to turn p states back on for power saving but the less variables for testing the better.

Sorted it now, I previously didnt touched the Frequency slider. Strangely mine prefers to be OC'd to 1600, with 1050 P6 and 1100 P7 and then it sits in low 70C's

If I leave the frequency slider alone it sits around 1550mhz but temps are the same, strange as I would prefer to get temps down but it refuses which is fair enough, 1600mhz in the low 70C's is more than fine

Associate
Hey, so I got the MSI 56 with the blower type cooler.. the noise is taking some getting used to but it is much better since I lowered the mV on state 5/6/7 to just 1000 it seems stable after a hefty world of tanks session.

My only concern is its running around 72-75C is this too hot?

Back
Top Bottom