YouTube bans comments on all videos containing anyone under the age of 18.

Soldato
Probably a knee-jerk reaction to some of the child abuse stuff I've been seeing on Reddit where videos of kids doing kid stuff would attract creeps who'd timestamp vids for other creeps.

Soldato
If people are making sexual comments towards children on social media it's the parents responsiblity to protect them

And if the Parents don't know there's a video of their child on YouTube? How do they do that?

Also, is it about protecting the children? The actual child in the video is safe surely? I guess some nutter might try and track them down, but is that what this is about? Comments being disabled wouldn't stop that would it? (I guess it would limit the exposure, so less chance?)

Soldato
They make videos about their experiences of UK life and compare them to the American way of life. Some videos have their kids in with them, one is a baby and the other is probably about 5 or 6

over-sharing/exhibitionism whatever you want to call it ... why do they want their children on the net for all the world to see ?
do they think they are living in a reality tv show, prostituting their children/props, for the entertainment of other web friends.
ok they are probably (hopefully) not seriously monetarizing it, but these will be the same people who will complain about having their privacy invaded by facebook/google/election-mandering I hope they understand the irony.

Children see 'adults' exhibiting this behaviour and then mimick it too.

won't .... think of the children - is nothing sacrosanct

Associate
over-sharing/exhibitionism whatever you want to call it ... why do they want their children on the net for all the world to see ?
do they think they are living in a reality tv show, prostituting their children/props, for the entertainment of other web friends.
ok they are probably (hopefully) not seriously monetarizing it, but these will be the same people who will complain about having their privacy invaded by facebook/google/election-mandering I hope they understand the irony.

Children see 'adults' exhibiting this behaviour and then mimick it too.

won't .... think of the children - is nothing sacrosanct
Its the world we live in these days. I dislike it but, as is political correctness - there's nothing we can do about it because we're all for staying at home doing nothing about anything other than type out our views on the internet and vote for Labour or Tory, then complain more and jog on within forum comments boxes.
So nothing will change.

That is life these days.

Soldato
Like all the YouTube algorithms stuff, this will likely go wrong and hit channels and people who are just innocent.

I can see it going wrong for education channels, schools accounts, families sharing family videos with each other, anything that has a "kid" in it, could get targeted and their comment section shut down, even games I think would be affected like Life is Strange 2 because the main characters are kids.

I said this before, but parents should be responsible for what their kids do.

I miss the days when YouTube was just a video sharing site.

Soldato
Oh you terrible fascist you.

I ain't bothered, I feel the same as you but at the end of the day our grandparents fought for that right in WW2. I for one respect my elders, and the sacrifices they made.

Fought for the right for people to add comments to YouTube? I don't think so. It's not a human right to be able to comment on a video on the internet.

Perhaps I should have been clear. I meant ban all YT comments.

Soldato
I, for one, would gladly go to war to retain my right to ****post on OcUK.

Arguing with people on the internet is far too important, and fun.

Edit: Oops...looks like that swearword isn't in the filter!

Associate
Fought for the right for people to add comments to YouTube? I don't think so. It's not a human right to be able to comment on a video on the internet.

Perhaps I should have been clear. I meant ban all YT comments.
They fought for freedom of speech, when even the radio was domestically largely unheard of.
They certainly did not go to war for the human rights of Polish people, their politicians previously signed a paper to effectively help ensure that Nazism would not rise again.

So the freedom of right to comment into an internet chat box is exactly that of what freedom of speech is.

I come from an internet time of pre-youtube, when DailyMotion was the only other free solution. Long before ANY of these jobs-worth rich youtubers existed.

Soldato
but these will be the same people who will complain about having their privacy invaded by facebook/google/election-mandering I hope they understand the irony.

Probably not though. It's normally more like, someone complains about privacy invasion but then happily uses Facebook, unaware of what they are doing. These families broadcasting their lives are probably more aware of how it all works.

Soldato
They fought for freedom of speech, when even the radio was domestically largely unheard of.
They certainly did not go to war for the human rights of Polish people, their politicians previously signed a paper to effectively help ensure that Nazism would not rise again.

So the freedom of right to comment into an internet chat box is exactly that of what freedom of speech is.

I come from an internet time of pre-youtube, when DailyMotion was the only other free solution. Long before ANY of these jobs-worth rich youtubers existed.

Using that logic if youtube shut down tomorrow you'd start going after the owners for impacting your human rights?

Which law dictates that a human must be able to comment on a video hosted by company?

To reiterate I'm not just saying stop people from typing in a chat box, I'm saying remove the chat box.

Soldato
I guess if YouTube could effectively cut out just the dangerously predatory comments then they would. If an outright ban is the best they can do to tackle it then I think they morally have little choice.

I agree, i have no issue with people not being able to comment on under 18 videos, removed the remotest chance of bullying, grooming or any such activity.
Its a good step, no one really loses here.

Associate

Eh? BBC radio was used to pass info to resistance in occupied countries.

Soldato
Yes based on the recent child pedo stuff going on..

It's not really recent though, it's been happening on YouTube for for a long time and they know that, as the article states. The only thing that has called them into action now is loss of advertising revenue and press coverage. It certainly hasn't taken them this long to figure out how to turn off comments on videos of kids.

Soldato
To be honest Youtube has turned to absolute rubbish over the last couple of years, it's a shadow of it's former self. Banning youtubers for wrongthink, massive left leaning bias and burying of most videos that have a right, center-right or even center, leaning element. Time for a new media site to fill the gap that Youtube has vacated, they killed it for ideology - we don't have free speech anymore.

Back
Top Bottom