• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Is it time to upgrade from my i3770k ?

Associate
Greetings folks

Currently running an Overclockers PC build I got nearly 7 years ago and its still good ... but its time to think of upgrading.

Question is, the current 9900k that is out - is it a big enough jump over what Ive got now of the 3770k OC'd since day one at 4.5GHz

Or should I look at AMD or just wait?

My use is mainly Photoshop on 36mp Nikon D800 images
1080p video editing in Vegas - though I'd move up to 4K work as been putting it off till now

Ive asked over the years similar and been told "not now / wait for xyz" but wanted to see if I should pull the trigger now or if something is in the wings.

Thanks

Rikki

Soldato
There's people in this forum who bought a 9900k to replace a 6 month old i7 so they'd definately tell you the upgrade was worth it. Then again they'll also be people who'll tell you to wait.

My advise is to see some benchmarks and then decide if the upgrade will be worth it and justifiable based on your budget and financial situation. Nobody else can answer that.

Personally I'll be waiting for AMD but that's just because I'm a fanboy. Intel make good processors too and it's your choice at the end of the day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IG5EMX1xorU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3-eC7PPIW0

Last edited:
Soldato
I wouldn't recommend a 9900k - it's based on an almost 4 year old architecture, Skylake. I'd recommend waiting for Intel's new architecture, Icelake, which will a bring 10-15% IPC improvement and lots of new features :)

Associate
If the itch to upgrade isn't too bad now than wait to see what AMD release later this year (even if you still end up going intel) . I upgraded from a 3770 based system in January last year to a 7820X and whilst there is a significant difference, whether or not it was worth it is a personal thing. What monitor are you editing on? I would look at maybe upgrading that first depending on requirement for HDR compatibility whilst you wait for the Ryzen 2 (3000 chips).

Caporegime
there is no point at this transitional stage. is there big upgrades from what you have ? yes ! the thing is amd will drop new cpus soon with possibly close ipc to current intel chips add in lots of cores and if priced right could make for very interesting times. now is not the time to upgrade. you will be fine for a few months.

Associate
I would rather wait a few months since you do not seem to be the type who upgrades every 3 years.
Jumping right into the newest CPU tech and PCIE4 equipped motherboards will help in several ways, including the longevity of the PC.

Associate
I agree with the waiters, both intel and amd will release brand new chips this year if rumors are true amd will launch in July and intel later this year.

Soldato
I upgraded a year ago from my 3770S to an 8700 but that was only because my old PC was failing.

You won't go wrong by buying now but you might be able to do a lot better by upgrading in a few months' time.

V F

V F

Soldato
I agree with the waiters, both intel and amd will release brand new chips this year if rumors are true amd will launch in July and intel later this year.

Nice! I'll wait to see what arises then. Is Intel releasing in the summer as well?

Back
Top Bottom