*** Nintendo Switch ***

Soldato
the PS4 was widely sold out for a long time after launch. so it had stock issues at the start.

So did the Switch.

Anyway whether it does or it doesn't won't be known for a long time yet. Until then it is all guesswork.

Also it doesn't matter one little bit. If we all get great games that we want to play then everyone wins.

Man of Honour
Just had an email about Pokemon Sword and Shield.

Watched the trailer.

These games are really tired... same old combat... new Pokemon that nobody cares about. Usually an awful storyline with the slowest cutscenes ever. Same old spam everything with your overpowered starter Pokemon with no incentive to use anything other than its best move....

Sun and Moon were super underwhelming. I’ll only buy this the formula is refreshed far beyond ‘new 3D environments’.

Associate
Just had an email about Pokemon Sword and Shield.

Watched the trailer.

These games are really tired... same old combat... new Pokemon that nobody cares about. Usually an awful storyline with the slowest cutscenes ever. Same old spam everything with your overpowered starter Pokemon with no incentive to use anything other than its best move....

Sun and Moon were super underwhelming. I’ll only buy this the formula is refreshed far beyond ‘new 3D environments’.

What would you have them change?

The formula is unlikley to change much as Pokemon sells bucket loads and the target audience age range will always prevent the complexity of the games ever increasing substantially. Other than generational graphic improvements and moving to 3D I'm not sure what else Game Freak can do.

Man of Honour

The formula is unlikley to change much as Pokemon sells bucket loads and the target audience age range will always prevent the complexity of the games ever increasing substantially. Other than generational graphic improvements and moving to 3D I'm not sure what else Game Freak can do.
I think ‘stop adding boring pokemon’ is high on the list. Less is more. The more Pokemon there are the less interesting they become. I mean... that ice cream Pokemon is just terrible.

Get rid of the whole ‘gym badge / elite 4’ thing as the dominant story - it’s been done to death. Give the game an interesting narrative that goes against the grain. Something low key / about gangs or nothing to actually do with Pokemon... rather than world domination incoming by some stupid god Pokemon.

A move away from the completely ‘static’ fights.

Just something different :p

Man of Honour

Zelda always sells well and they changed a working formula for that.

Soldato
Zelda always sells well and they changed a working formula for that.
They didn't really change it all that much. The basics are still the same. It was more the graphics and style of game. Changed to free roam and not top down.

Pokemon though I've been seeing things where people were moaning for ages that it was all the same and it needed updated, then where moaning about Lets go, because they did change things.

They just can't win.

Man of Honour
They didn't really change it all that much. The basics are still the same. It was more the graphics and style of game. Changed to free roam and not top down.

Pokemon though I've been seeing things where people were moaning for ages that it was all the same and it needed updated, then where moaning about Lets go, because they did change things.

They just can't win.
I think the new Zelda really mixed things up. The free roaming gameplay was very fresh. A link between worlds was also fresh in the way the item system worked.

Have been watching my partner play through let’s go - seems fairly akin to blue and red save that you don’t fight the pokies to catch them.

Man of Honour

They just can't win.
Er... Botw is an enormous change for the series, and exactly the sort of change a stale franchise like pokemon needs.

Soldato
Er... Botw is an enormous change for the series, and exactly the sort of change a stale franchise like pokemon needs.
The basics are the same though. You play Link, you get weapons and over the game get better weapons. follow the story to discover more about your history and rescue Zelda. That main part is not any different. The style of gameplay has certainly changed.

Man of Honour
The basics are the same though. You play Link, you get weapons and over the game get better weapons. follow the story to discover more about your history and rescue Zelda. That main part is not any different. The style of gameplay has certainly changed.

That's just so completely wrong I don't even know where to begin. Forget the story, Zelda has never had a story worth paying attention to and this is no different.

The core of the game is entirely different. You have every item available and every region is open to you from the start, compared to the traditional format of a very limited scope with very specific new areas becoming available as you collect game changing items in a very linear way.

Last edited:
Soldato
That's just so completely wrong I don't even know where to begin. Forget the story, Zelda has never had a story worth paying attention to and this is no different.

The core of the game is entirely different. You have every item available and every region is open to you from the start, compared to the traditional format of a very limited score with very specific new areas becoming available as you collect game changing items in a very linear way.
Have you played Link's Awakening, Twilight Princess or A Link to the Past or Wind Waker? they all have really good and interesting stories, which develop well during the course of the game.

Man of Honour
Have you played Link's Awakening, Twilight Princess or A Link to the Past or Wind Waker? they all have really good and interesting stories, which develop well during the course of the game.

Yep, completed them all. They all have very generic and shallow plots and characters. Majora's Mask is the example to give for a Zelda with an interesting plot and characters, but even that is only good compared to the others in the series.

You completely neglected to respond to the most relevant section of my post where I directly responded to you.

Back
Top Bottom