TV Licence Super Thread

Hitman
Soldato
I’m getting letters through the post on a bi-weekly basis and I did have someone come to my house

We also had one of these "we missed you" letters through the door, complete with the name and ID of an "officer". Fortunately I was in at the time working in the office, but we have CCTV and I don't answer the door unless we're expecting a parcel - new build estate = we get a lot of cold callers!

The interesting part was that he worked for a meter reading company (I forget the name but I'm sure it was related to Morrisons as I ended up Googling it). He had the uniform on and drove the company car. Likewise with you, he didn't knock, just pushed the letter through the door and quickly ran away.

Pretty shady scare tactic.

Soldato
We also had one of these "we missed you" letters through the door, complete with the name and ID of an "officer". Fortunately I was in at the time working in the office, but we have CCTV and I don't answer the door unless we're expecting a parcel - new build estate = we get a lot of cold callers!

The interesting part was that he worked for a meter reading company (I forget the name but I'm sure it was related to Morrisons as I ended up Googling it). He had the uniform on and drove the company car. Likewise with you, he didn't knock, just pushed the letter through the door and quickly ran away.

Pretty shady scare tactic.

So shady... my one worked for Morrison Data Services. He posted the letter, tapped on his little tablet for a bit and then walked off :p

Soldato
Since buying my property about 6 months ago, I’ve not paid for a license as I don’t watch any live TV or use BBC iPlayer etc.

I’m getting letters through the post on a bi-weekly basis and I did have someone come to my house - he probably assumed I wasn’t in, which I wasn’t at the time, as he had filled out a “Sorry we missed you” leaflet and dropped it through my door - he didn’t even knock/ring the bell (I have a smart doorbell with camera).

The letters I receive are clearly coming under an automated system - as they seem to follow a cycle (Welcome to the neighbourhood! You need a license -> Come on now, you need a license -> We’re confident you need a license, please pay! -> We’ll send someone over if you’re not careful! -> Listen here you little ****, pay for a license -> Welcome to the Neighbourhood!...)

I’ve been avoiding reporting to them that I don’t need a license because I’ve heard they get more aggressive with their letters/visits - what are your views on this?
Why don't you do the right thing :) and simply go to their website and state you don't need a licence?. That will stop the letters. Takes a few minutes at most.
Annoying but I wanted to do my bit to save the trees and the other licence fee payers from footing the bill sending out all the stupid letters.
You can tell them when you expect to need a licence or can tick "not likely to". Then they'll just check up with your periodically, I think every 2 years if I remember the text from thewebsite when I did that.

I like having the TV on for a few mins before bedtime but now no longer even do that. Just renewed a Netflix account instead at the cheapest rate. Not paying £150 a year for something I hardly use and line the pockets of the "same old" faces

Caporegime
Why don't you do the right thing :) and simply go to their website and state you don't need a licence?. That will stop the letters. Takes a few minutes at most.
Annoying but I wanted to do my bit to save the trees and the other licence fee payers from footing the bill sending out all the stupid letters

The trees being saved is irrelevant, I want them to suffer the wasted time.

Trees are easily replanted, you can’t get back the time printing, sending those worthless threats out though.

To think these cretins could be doing something far more interesting with their lives.

Soldato
The trees being saved is irrelevant, I want them to suffer the wasted time.

Trees are easily replanted, you can’t get back the time printing, sending those worthless threats out though.

To think these cretins could be doing something far more interesting with their lives.
Ink, toner, chemicals :).
The letters are automated mostly so cretins largely not involved.
I'm expecting a knock on the door at some point. Providing it's not flilthy outside they'll be welcome to come in and check my setup. if they get funny about anything, I'll tell them where to go however. Most inspectors will probably be fine

Soldato
That’s not the right thing to do, won’t always stop the letters and at times make things worse. It also can cause a lot more time lost then just a few minutes. Its not as simple as you make out. Contacting them is like playing the lotto. You don't know what will happen, sometimes it stops the letters and sometimes it means they ramp up the campaign against you.

Soldato
That’s not the right thing to do, won’t always stop the letters and at times make things worse. It also can cause a lot more time lost then just a few minutes. Its not as simple as you make out. Contacting them is like playing the lotto. You don't know what will happen, sometimes it stops the letters and sometimes it means they ramp up the campaign against you.
That's not the experience I've had in the past. I left a place empty and just told them via the online form that the property may require a licence in 6 or 8 months time and I received no more letters in the post until then. I did it again, and same again (no more letters).
It;s like road tax where you log in and then state that you will not being using x car on the road. That causes people to commit to the decision which I think is fair. If you don't tell them that you don't need a TV licence, they assume you do.
If you're not using the services then IMO what's the problem filling in an online form to state that?
They can't take out a campaign against you if you're indeed not watching the telly :). One could deem it harrassment.

I may be wrong :) but it feels to me people are having a problem confirming they don't need a licence because actually they're probably still using the services :). Let them know, then don't use the telly. Can do all they want but if you're not using the services (innocent), who cares?

Last edited:
Caporegime
Ink, toner, chemicals :).
The letters are automated mostly so cretins largely not involved.
I'm expecting a knock on the door at some point. Providing it's not flilthy outside they'll be welcome to come in and check my setup. if they get funny about anything, I'll tell them where to go however. Most inspectors will probably be fine
I've been getting their letters to the occupier for 7 years.

They go in an automated cycle of ever increasing threats then goes back to the start again.
It's pretty laughable, If you genuinely don't need a tv license I would just ignore them and put the letters in the bin.

I would never let them in the house I've seen youtube videos where people did they brought the guy in to show the TV wasn't connected, the guy comes and plugs the cables in to the TV, starts tuning the channels :confused:
Like WTF the guy was clearly only watching DVDs or whatever, the TV inspector is basically setting up the TV so he can watch live broadcasts

There was another one where the BBC or whatever company altered the footage someone had recorded of one of the inspectors but they were caught out when the guy showed the judge the original footage showing there was errors in the timestamps on the BBCs evidence.
I can't find it on google right now though but they are certainly dodgy as hell

Associate
You don't have to read the entire thread to reply to and advise on certain posts.

but if you had read the entire thread you would have seen multiple replies from people who have done what you have suggested and still got letters sent to them weekly.

It only took them 11 months from me filling out the online form before they started again.

Now i bin the letters.

Even the new ones with the big cut out window saying in big red ink ''investigation started''

Soldato
Can do all they want but if you're not using the services (innocent), who cares?”
Considering how aggressive they can get and what I went though I very much do care. The advice you gave was given out by someone else and it caused me major problems by following it. If you have read the thread you would know contacting them is not always the right thing to do and can cause more problems. Knowing what I know now I would not let them in or given them any information.

You got lucky it’s not like your experience for everyone and it might not even last for you. Dealing with them is like gambling you never know what type of experience you will get. You might get the we will leave you alone for 2 years or you might get 6months or you might get we are going knock on your door weekly, video record though your windows and force our way into the house when you are out but children are in type experience.

"I may be wrong :) but it feels to me people are having a problem confirming they don't need a licence because actually they're probably still using the services :)"
You are very wrong.

Last edited:
Soldato
Considering how aggressive they can get and what I went though I very much do care. The advice you gave was given out by someone else and it caused me major problems by following it. If you have read the thread you would know contacting them is not always the right thing to do and can cause more problems. Knowing what I know now I would not let them in or given them any information.

You got lucky it’s not like your experience for everyone and it might not even last for you. Dealing with them is like gambling you never know what type of experience you will get. You might get the we will leave you alone for 2 years or you might get 6months or you might get we are going knock on your door weekly, video record though your windows and force our way into the house when you are out but children are in type experience.

"I may be wrong :) but it feels to me people are having a problem confirming they don't need a licence because actually they're probably still using the services :)"
You are very wrong.
Fair enough. I'll see what happens with mine. I can only go on what has worked in the past for me :). When I completed the online form this time it mentioned checking up in a while, think it was two years (should have screenshotted it). I don't mind completing the online form yearly if it comes to it. If they continue sending letters when not expected then I'll complain.
If you've told them you don't need a licence and they're still getting aggressive then it does make me wonder if there's an harassment case there :).
I had the red warning this time "Investigation started", hence why I did completed the online form.

Soldato
Signing up on their website to tell them that you don't need a licence doesn't save the BBC or licence payers money. I understand that Capita pay the BBC a set amount each year from what they collect and anything over Capita keeps. So really you are costing capita money and not the BBC/licence payers.

Back
Top Bottom