Lightweight Laptop for Travel/Business - 2019 XPS 15 Alternatives?

Soldato
Hey

I'm looking at the current XPS 15 Current Gen, which comes it at around £1660. I don't absolutely need it to be the latest and greatest, since I will only be doing presentations, admin and watching some films while i travel. I mean i might put some super lightweight games like BG2 or Civ6 on it but nothing that needs SLI RTX.

Just wondering if it's worth looking at a slightly earlier model if there's not much in it. No point throwing money away if i dont need to?

The main thing is that it's got a good screen, useful ports and is lightweight. I've been carrying my 17" MBP and Asus ROG Gaming Laptop around for too long.

Any thoughts appreciated!

Man of Honour
At that money Id throw a hp spectre x360 with the 8705g and Vega in the mix. I swapped to one with the same kind of requirements but also use a lot of photoshop, visual studio and sql management studio and its been a dream. It's light, can use any hp charger, I have the big one at home and smaller 65 or 40w ones that I use at work, it has two thunderbolts, hdmi etc. I normally replace my machines yearly but with this thing I just don't feel like I want to. I really like it.

Soldato
OP
At that money Id throw a hp spectre x360 with the 8705g and Vega in the mix. I swapped to one with the same kind of requirements but also use a lot of photoshop, visual studio and sql management studio and its been a dream. It's light, can use any hp charger, I have the big one at home and smaller 65 or 40w ones that I use at work, it has two thunderbolts, hdmi etc. I normally replace my machines yearly but with this thing I just don't feel like I want to. I really like it.

Hows the battery, and is it upgradeable? Looks good

The any charger is useful to know about actually

Man of Honour
Hows the battery, and is it upgradeable? Looks good

The any charger is useful to know about actually

The battery is a genuine full 7/8 hours if you are working on it all day. I can do a day on battery and its only towards when i'm going home that it starts looking a bit low. Upgrade wise you can upgrade the memory and that's about it, you can throw 32gb in it if you required that, you can also change the nvme. Because it's got that hades canyon package it can get a bit warm under gaming loads but it does respond well to undervolting. Every time I take it to any sort of meeting people always comment how nice it is and frankly as a productivity and work machine I can't fault it. Hp have also thrown a few bios updates at it through windows updates which is always nice to see as well.

Also if you plug a hp charger like a 45w in (really small and nice to travel with) it pops up a lttle message about how it is compatible with all chargers and will change the performance of the machine accordingly. You can also charge it with a phone charger or one of those portable battery things through thunderbolt if you were really desperate.

Forgot to mention the screen is really lovely.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Lenovo thinkpad x1 extreme!
It looks pretty much the same spec and price as the XPS 15, is there a reason you'd pick it instead?

The battery is a genuine full 7/8 hours if you are working on it all day. I can do a day on battery and its only towards when i'm going home that it starts looking a bit low. Upgrade wise you can upgrade the memory and that's about it, you can throw 32gb in it if you required that, you can also change the nvme. Because it's got that hades canyon package it can get a bit warm under gaming loads but it does respond well to undervolting. Every time I take it to any sort of meeting people always comment how nice it is and frankly as a productivity and work machine I can't fault it. Hp have also thrown a few bios updates at it through windows updates which is always nice to see as well.

Also if you plug a hp charger like a 45w in (really small and nice to travel with) it pops up a lttle message about how it is compatible with all chargers and will change the performance of the machine accordingly. You can also charge it with a phone charger or one of those portable battery things through thunderbolt if you were really desperate.

Forgot to mention the screen is really lovely.

That does sound great. Did you wipe yours with a clean install? My only experience with HP is from eons ago and it was full of bloatware. Would it lose any functionality?

Man of Honour
It looks pretty much the same spec and price as the XPS 15, is there a reason you'd pick it instead?

That does sound great. Did you wipe yours with a clean install? My only experience with HP is from eons ago and it was full of bloatware. Would it lose any functionality?

No it's fairly clear of junk to be honest, i've seen machines with a lot worse on them. I removed all of the crap and everything seems to still work fine so no worries from that point of view. I would recommend trying to have a look at one and having a little play if you can. I know it is silly but another thing that made me smile is that the packaging and whats included was really impressive as well, you get a nice leather case, pen with a bunch of extra nibs, and the boxes and presentation was top notch. Really felt like i was unboxing something a bit special! It's a little thing but showed me that hp class this as a premium product.

Associate
I'm personally a thinkpad person myself (using a T480s at the moment).

Having already spilled a whole glass of orange juice on it and dismantled, cleaned and replaced the keyboard myself, I can say that I would happily buy another one. Very well built, yet servicable laptops.

The X models are awesome machines, but I would look a bit further down the product line at the P and T series models if you really don't need it to be wafer thin, or you're not bothered about touchscreen. T series especially are still very portable machines and you can shave a few quid off the cost if the sacrifices are insignificant to you. Coming from a 17" MBP, I would probably say the T580 is the place to look.

Lenovo have a pretty flexible range of modifications you can make, but just bare in mind they will take an age to ship if you do a full custom machine. Bit of a shame we haven't got the high end Ryzen models in the UK yet :(

Soldato
I'm personally a thinkpad person myself (using a T480s at the moment).

Having already spilled a whole glass of orange juice on it and dismantled, cleaned and replaced the keyboard myself, I can say that I would happily buy another one. Very well built, yet servicable laptops.

The X models are awesome machines, but I would look a bit further down the product line at the P and T series models if you really don't need it to be wafer thin, or you're not bothered about touchscreen. T series especially are still very portable machines and you can shave a few quid off the cost if the sacrifices are insignificant to you. Coming from a 17" MBP, I would probably say the T580 is the place to look.

Lenovo have a pretty flexible range of modifications you can make, but just bare in mind they will take an age to ship if you do a full custom machine. Bit of a shame we haven't got the high end Ryzen models in the UK yet :(
yea i ordered an x1 extreme and its taking a month!

Back
Top Bottom