Is a town still classed as a town if there are no shops and pubs?

Soldato
There doesn't seem to be any clear definition between village, town city. At what point is a town a city?

I thought Village = Town when there is a clear central business district... and Town = City when it had a Cathedral, however the latter is probably less true now that religion isn't such a big part of everyone's lives.

Soldato
Tons of shops but all of them overpriced compared to local shops or online. I don't really see what the attraction of London is. Its just a loud, busy, messy place. The worse thing we ever did was accidently go down on Black Friday. Absolutely packed.

Local shops aren’t cheaper, in my experience they are more expensive, generally full of tat and just a bit crap. They don’t have economies of scale for example so can’t compete.
It’s like the nonsense that butchers always do better meat than anywhere else, sure there are good ones but there are heaps of crap ones turning out the same poor quality meat.

Caporegime
The media seems to be making London sound like a crap hole these days...

I have not been to London for 38 years so I have no idea what it really like..:confused:

I'm there all the time, Scottish/had no intrest in London, and well I like it. It has awesome food. I mean the food is the only real thing going for it.

Apart from that it's noisey, stupidly expensive. As soon as my gf leaves I have no intention of re-visiting. But it's worth a visit, even if its just for the cupious amount of good food.

Soldato
I love London too. Lived in the old county hall, Westminster for a while and really enjoyed the hustle and bustle of city life.

Towns without a "centre" or high street always feel a bit strange to me though. Telford is one example - it's just a series of outlying residential areas with nothing really uniting them.

Last edited:
Caporegime
I love London too. I don’t get what people’s problems are with it. Yes it’s expensive, but what do you expect, it’s one of the worlds elite cities, up there with NY, Paris, Tokyo etc. Hardly gonna be cheap is it.

Soldato
It's...an expensive crap hole. You can tell there's money everywhere. But the level of scum is just overwhelming.
This is a fascinatingly concise description. I'm a born Londoner and pretty unhappy living here now. I sort of assumed it was the world that's gone to **** but maybe it's just London!

Soldato
My town doesn't have any pubs.

It has social clubs, bars run as fronts for dodgy or semi-legit activities, family eatery type places and a 'Spoons. There is a 100 year old 'hotel' that has a bar which is now owned by one of those national pub companies and ran as a pub (no B&B) but technically it wasn't built as a pub.

Man of Honour
I love London too. I don’t get what people’s problems are with it. Yes it’s expensive, but what do you expect, it’s one of the worlds elite cities, up there with NY, Paris, Tokyo etc. Hardly gonna be cheap is it.

And there you have it, the voice of reason.

To be fair, it doesn’t really matter what the definition is, the only thing that matters is London. Right guys?

I can’t help but agree, but I fear that we may be in the minority.

I like London. Just spent another week staying by Tower Bridge and had a great time.

If you stand on the East side of the Bridge, look East and my house is some 900 metres along the river, on the South side, so I can’t help but love the place, a whole slew of good restaurants and bars within a 15-20 minute walk.

As cities go London is pretty small. Westminster is about 10 times the size.

That is very true, but most people think of the entire entity of London, not the individual cities, Westminster and City of London.

Man of Honour
The media seems to be making London sound like a crap hole these days...

I have not been to London for 38 years so I have no idea what it really like..:confused:

Which London? There's so much of it that it covers everything from appalling crap hole to peaceful (and ludicrously expensive) luxury.

Also, where is London? The borders are quite arbitrary nowadays - you can travel 50 miles in the same urban area with different parts having different names. Is that one city or different towns and cities because reasons?

Soldato
I always though having either a cathedral or a university qualified a town as a city. Also isn't london an area as well as a city (just looking on wikipedia here), just like we have yorkshire and lincoln?

Soldato
I always though having either a cathedral or a university qualified a town as a city. Also isn't london an area as well as a city (just looking on wikipedia here), just like we have yorkshire and lincoln?
There are some large towns near me with universities. It looks like neither cathedral or a university really matter the only thing that matters is a mandate by the queen.

Back
Top Bottom