Tesla Model X P100D

Soldato
That article is weird, it says over £40k in the title, then it gives an example of a drop over £50k. Surely that can't be right?

The two-model Model X SUV line-up has seen similar drops with the £137,705 Model X Performance D replaced with a Ludicrous Performance model costing £87,200.

The Verge article says the biggest drop is only $18k

https://www.theverge.com/2019/3/1/18246001/tesla-model-s-and-model-x-price-cuts

I can understand that a decent chunk of that price drop is to still entice people who missed out on any kind of tax cut that just ended on the cars in the states.

The incredible part of this news is the announcement of the true $35k option though. It's a major turning point.

Soldato
It's more like the Model 3 is cannibalising S/X sales (particularly the S) combined with the fact that the S/X were overpriced. They were making crazy margins on those cars before, especially the P100D's.

They also made some changes to the auto pilot options, regular auto pilot now only comes with auto steer (like AP1). All of the 'enhanced AP' features are now bundled into full self driving package meaning you now really need to get both.

You are still looking at the best part of £100k after adding paint, wheels and full AP for a P100D and £110k for a 6 seat X (including the £3.5k grant).

No free supercharging and the 4G (inc satellite maps, live traffic and music streaming) in the car is now a subscription (1st year included).

EDIT: That has to be a pricing error on the UK site, the US site doesn't include ludicrous mode in the base performance price and it is a $15k option.

On the US site a fully loaded Model S P100DL with 21" wheels, red paint and full auto pilot costs $129,750 (no taxes), that's £98,240 + VAT - £3.5k incentive. I put that at £114k all in.

On the UK site the same spec car is £99k all in.

It seems we are getting the ludicrous speed for free currently. $15,000 is about £11,360 + VAT (£13,632). Differences in exchange rate explains the last few % away.

Last edited:
Soldato
That article is weird, it says over £40k in the title, then it gives an example of a drop over £50k. Surely that can't be right?

The Verge article says the biggest drop is only $18k

https://www.theverge.com/2019/3/1/18246001/tesla-model-s-and-model-x-price-cuts

I can understand that a decent chunk of that price drop is to still entice people who missed out on any kind of tax cut that just ended on the cars in the states.

The incredible part of this news is the announcement of the true $35k option though. It's a major turning point.

UK prices dropped by c.£40k+ overnight. The US price drops were much smaller hence the differences in the articles. It’s an unbelievable drop for the UK market.

£84k now gets a 2.4second to 60 car. That’s unbelievable! How much would a comparable petrol car cost to achieve even close to that performance?

Soldato
A comparable priced petrol performance car will be genuinely quick, not just at the traffic lights. Which you can only do a few times before you need to let the motors/batteries cool.

Soldato
UK prices dropped by c.£40k+ overnight. The US price drops were much smaller hence the differences in the articles. It’s an unbelievable drop for the UK market.

£84k now gets a 2.4second to 60 car. That’s unbelievable! How much would a comparable petrol car cost to achieve even close to that performance?

You can’t from any mass production ICE car with similar money.

I’m curious what the 3 performance is going to come out as in UK money now... considering the S is so much cheaper since the price changes.

Soldato
Anybody that has bought a Tesla before these price cuts is gonna be spitting feathers, this is going to destroy the second hand value of their cars, anybody carrying stock of second hand Tesla’s are also going to be in a world of hurt!

Soldato
Yea until a corner appears. Then I'll take a GTR or Porsche :p
The S handles surprisingly well. The last guy in a 911 who tried to lose me just couldn't...and this was on some very nice windy and twisty back roads. Now I'm not stupid enough to think that a Model S handles as well as a 911, but put two average (or even slightly better than average) drivers in the cars and you'll be surprised at how close it would be.

Soldato
The S handles surprisingly well. The last guy in a 911 who tried to lose me just couldn't...and this was on some very nice windy and twisty back roads. Now I'm not stupid enough to think that a Model S handles as well as a 911, but put two average (or even slightly better than average) drivers in the cars and you'll be surprised at how close it would be.
The model 3 is M3 beating around a track. The S isn’t too far removed from that.

Soldato
You guess wrong...it started in a fuse box in a store room from what I'm aware.

Do you think these cars just randomly catch fire?
He’d like you to believe that. Irrational fear of the future sadly!

Cannot believe how relatively cheap a P100D is now. Making be doubt if I want to wait for a model 3!

I suppose a model S/X facelift could be on the cards?

Caporegime
He’d like you to believe that. Irrational fear of the future sadly!

Making up more things i see, you would be wrong, but i don't need to try and justify my bad purchase, Tesla defence league....

We have two Model S in the family, both have been mechanically OK, the technology is great, the car itself is not.

Funny enough one of those owners wants out of his S and probably into an I-Pace, the other is unsure yet but will probably go going for a Mercedes instead, reason for both wanting to switch? They got sold something which should be a premium product at a premium price but it simply isn't sadly.

Caporegime
Do you think these cars just randomly catch fire?

Thermal runaway can happen in any battery pack, you would be silly to think "Tesla cells", which are just a load of 18650s, are any different, unlikely to happen but it can.

Several Teslas have caught fire after being towed, why? Motor overheating, car piling loads of regen energy into the battery cells with no way of stopping it?

What lets the car down in your opinion? And what would those other cars offer that you feel you're missing out on with the Tesla?

In the two cars i've had lots of exposure to: Fit and finish of the cabin is poor, seals misplaced and not fitting properly, irregular fitment around dash components, odd rattle, doesn't feel premium in general.

From a longer term owner prospect, poor thought given to electrical items locations, routing of external coolant pipes and cables in areas which are prone to damage unsure about the service pricing structure considering what they do.

If we are talking about general terms, Tesla are still learning all the issues on how to build and design a car which all the major manufactures figured out in the 80's and 90's.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/feat...-to-find-elon-musk-s-best-and-worst-decisions

Soldato
Anybody that has bought a Tesla before these price cuts is gonna be spitting feathers, this is going to destroy the second hand value of their cars, anybody carrying stock of second hand Tesla’s are also going to be in a world of hurt!

Yeah he doesn’t seem to realise the subtleties of car sales compared to electrical devices? Residuals matter.

Back
Top Bottom