Star Wars VIII : The Last Jedi [WARNING: SPOILERS]

Soldato
I am happy to debate bad writing and production, this film clearly had issues which I have pointed out myself but this is a bit far don't you think?

Sadly those involved have at LF been as wide spread with their insults as those few morons online who've been genuinely racist/sexist etc and rather than calling out specific events they have generalised instead, lumping "all" complainers into the same box, whether they be genuine complaints or hateful trolls. Things like this -

JJ Abrams - "Asked by IndieWire about pushback from “Star Wars” fans who decried Rian Johnson’s film for its focus on more female-centric stories (bolstered by the edition of franchise newbies like Laura Dern and Kelly Marie Tran), Abrams was clear: “Their problem isn’t ‘Star Wars,’ their problem is being threatened.” (link)

I'm not "Threatened" so why am I being lumped together with a tiny handful of trolls just because I feel the female characters are badly written etc? It's that sort of "lumping everyone together as sexist/racist etc" which has led to fan anger and I've heard nothing from LF separating those genuine fans, who aren't being hateful trolls yet still have un-addressed complaints, from the morons of the web.

Soldato
Or you can read the full quote instead of just the headline...

As he prepares to reenter the “Star Wars” universe with his upcoming (and still-untitled) Episode IX, “Force Awakens” filmmaker J.J. Abrams is unbothered by the recent backlash to the diversity of “Star Wars: The Last Jedi.” Asked by IndieWire about pushback from “Star Wars” fans who decried Rian Johnson’s film for its focus on more female-centric stories (bolstered by the edition of franchise newbies like Laura Dern and Kelly Marie Tran), Abrams was clear: “Their problem isn’t ‘Star Wars,’ their problem is being threatened.”

He then went on to say...

“‘Star Wars’ is a big galaxy, and you can sort of find almost anything you want to in ‘Star Wars,'” he said. “If you are someone who feels threatened by women and needs to lash out against them, you can probably find an enemy in ‘Star Wars.’ You can probably look at the first movie that George [Lucas] did [‘Star Wars: A New Hope’] and say that Leia was too outspoken, or she was too tough. Anyone who wants to find a problem with anything can find the problem. The internet seems to be made for that.”

AKA he is asked directly about 'pushback' from people who criticised the film for telling stories about women. His response is directly addressing those that 'criticised' the film because it heavily featured female characters, specifically those that used the internet to direct their 'backlash' directly at the women who played those characters.

I don't see in any way how that is calling you 'threatened' unless you are one of those people (which I don't think you are). There is a huge gulf between calling people who 'criticised' the film for having women in charge and those that thought it had plot holes, physics issues, bad dialog, jokes, didn't like how it threw away a lot of what TFA built or didn't like the way Luke was portrayed.

It was very clear that a large amount of the 'backlash' on social media was aimed personally at Laura Dern and Kelly Marie Tran and it was clearly sexist, racist and also included physical threats. It is more than reasonable for Abrams to call these people out.

Last edited:
It was very clear that a large amount of the 'backlash' on social media was aimed personally at Laura Dern and Kelly Marie Tran and it was clearly sexist, racist and also included physical threats. It is more than reasonable for Abrams to call these people out.

Ive said it before, anyone who attacked or threatened the actors for 'acting' out what someone else wrote needs some special help in a safe space. I pretty much despise TLJ and i squarely blame Johnson for it, he made an absolute mess out of a franchise i grew up with and love. Am i going to hurl abuse at him in the street or social media? Jog on, i have better things to waste my time doing.

Soldato
i also don't have much faith in jj fixing it - he's a 'fine' director and is good at setting up stories and very poor at finishing them in a satisfactory way.

JJA is kind of like the Stephen King of cinema, IMO. He creates a fantastic, gripping story but usually has no good idea how to end it so it kind of limps along and then fizzles out.

Apparently Lucas is involved to help fix some of the *********** that was done in the last movie.

https://www.express.co.uk/entertain...-Skywalker-and-course-correct-after-Last-Jedi

Pity they just can't ignore that movie altogether.

Haha thats magical, asking the guy that created the prequels 'that everyone hates' to fix the sequels. Disney really buried themselves, they thought it would be a license to print money but didnt count on the rabid fans not putting up with their SJW crap.

Soldato
I thought filming on the next EP has already wrapped. It's due out at the end of the year isn't it?

Just sounds like a load of tabloid garbage with zero substance, it even says in the article:

As always, treat any leaks with a pinch of salt.

Soldato
Apparently Lucas is involved to help fix some of the *********** that was done in the last movie.

https://www.express.co.uk/entertain...-Skywalker-and-course-correct-after-Last-Jedi

Pity they just can't ignore that movie altogether.

I can imagine the ending now

Jar jar will return, in the final showdown between Rey and Kylo Ren he’ll be in the background with what’s left of the resistance , he’ll climb onto an at-at and accidentally drop something and it’ll start up and head towards Kylo, just as Kylo is about to defeat Rey , jar jar will catch his belt on the controls causing the at-at to hit something which falls and causes a domino effect, the end result being Kylo getting knocked over and mortally wounding himself with his own light Saber. Camera cuts back to jar jar with his tongue out shaking his head.
The special edition will have various weird animals or ships fly by during the battle just to fill the screen

Soldato
I can imagine the ending now

Jar jar will return, in the final showdown between Rey and Kylo Ren he’ll be in the background with what’s left of the resistance , he’ll climb onto an at-at and accidentally drop something and it’ll start up and head towards Kylo, just as Kylo is about to defeat Rey , jar jar will catch his belt on the controls causing the at-at to hit something which falls and causes a domino effect, the end result being Kylo getting knocked over and mortally wounding himself with his own light Saber. Camera cuts back to jar jar with his tongue out shaking his head.
The special edition will have various weird animals or ships fly by during the battle just to fill the screen
Don't forget the musical number.

Soldato
Haha thats magical, asking the guy that created the prequels 'that everyone hates' to fix the sequels. Disney really buried themselves, they thought it would be a license to print money but didnt count on the rabid fans not putting up with their SJW crap.

The Last Jedi makes me appreciate the prequels, even more so when you watch the fan edited versions with most of the fluff cut out

Caporegime
I just watched the opening fight of this last night, the Dreadnought getting annihilated while Star Destroyers nearby sat and watched, then the whole space chase sequence "they're smaller and lighter, they can't outrun us but they can stay at a distance that makes our weapons ineffective". How the **** does that work?? Surely if they can't outrun them then the first order ships should be catching up?

That whole movie was a headache to watch.

Soldato
Gravity bombs... in space.

I know a fan theory tried to discount this saying they were magnetically projected and accelerated bombs, but no, they were not, they were a simple corruption of the entire nature of the universe.
One they couldnt be arsed to even contemplate doing property.
No doubt they pay a space consultant regarding some stuff.
No doubt they utterly ignored anything that was said.

Caporegime

I know a fan theory tried to discount this saying they were magnetically projected and accelerated bombs, but no, they were not, they were a simple corruption of the entire nature of the universe.

LOL yeah that was another one, bring the bombers in to drop bombs on the Dreadnought that apparently has no shields at all and surface cannons that can't hit a single x wing. Had they used ion torpedos like in Rogue one then fair enough, or they could have shown the bombs igniting a booster to hit their target but nope, just drop them and all's well.

Man of Honour

I really think you and everyone with this as a ‘fundemental criticism’ is being overzealous. The ships have artificial gravity in them, right? Perhaps they home on that?

I mean really, who cares. Did the precise mechanism really have to be explained in the film? This is a film where they have dog fights in space FFS.

Leia floating through space - OK, that’s a massive leap with the existing lore and completely absurd in light of Leia’s previous abilities. So yeah, that’s bad, but not truly fundemental to the plot of the film so I’ll try not to let spoil my enjoyment.

The silly Bond villain-Esque slow chase through space. Yep, that’s pants on head silly - the only reason the alliance didn’t get insta-destroyed was due to some silly “mwahaha let’s make them suffer..... slowly!!!” *twizzles beard*

There is stuff you can be miffed at for sure but some of the criticism is overboard. I remember someone in this thread saying it was absolutely ridiculous that there was no airlock when Leia floats back into the ship. Errr... there is. Clear as day.

I’m still looking forward to the final instalment - in the same manner that I’m looking forward to detective pikachu.

Soldato
It's about the aesthetic and internal consistency. People understand and accept it's all made up and it's not real physics but to continue to suspend disbelief you need some kind of internal consistency. The Last Jedi fails on this count in so many ways it's untrue. Space fuel, I mean wtf 8 movies in and now knowing where the nearest Esso garage is situated s a thing? Bombs that look like they fell out of a flying fortress or captains of Star Destroyers who sit back and watch their flagship be destroyed without launching fighters. Oh and the guy who risked his life to save one of the most evil men in the universe because he thought he sensed good in him tried to kill his own nephew, you are having a giraffe. Then he sulked for 30 years but left a map so he could be found. The entire rebellion is destroyed but everyone on the Falcon seems fairly cool about it. That's without discussing "Planet Capitalism Is Bad" or Super Rey.
The Last Jedi is a mess and having watched it once at the cinema and once with my wife at Christmas I doubt I will ever watch it again.

Soldato
absolutely love the fact that this is a universe where light/LASERs can be stopped at the specific length of a sword and y'all hoy your toys out the pram over a ship dropping a projectile in space.
if a ship is deigned as a bomber in space i find it far more believable/acceptable that its release mechanism would eject the bomb out rather than just release it to let gravity do its stuff. i can accept that just watching the scene. light sabres....no.

Back
Top Bottom