Glasgow

Soldato
Travelling to Glasgow today for a few days (Twenty One Pilots tomorrow). What's there to do?

May book a tour of the Clydeside Distillery for Tuesday morning.

Places to eat? Any recommend Thai restaurants?

Thanks

Soldato
Welcome!

Big Feed is on today which is good for food, it’s relarively near a subway stop (we only have one circle so it’s very easy).
The Glasgow Central Tour is meant to be very good, see beside the scenes at a major train station.
Not been to the distillery yet but the Tennents tour is meant to be good, amazing pizza place opposite. Grab a pizza, walk round the necropolis with it and then go to Drygate for a pint.

Food wise, Mamafubu is the best Asian in the city.
Thai food,Thai Lemongrass is probably the best. Go there, then head south to the Pot Still for a whisky introduction and then ask for recommendations.

Singl End does good brunch and cake.

What exactly are you looking for/into and I can give better recommendations. Where are you staying?

Caporegime
Welcome!

Big Feed is on today which is good for food, it’s relarively near a subway stop (we only have one circle so it’s very easy).
The Glasgow Central Tour is meant to be very good, see beside the scenes at a major train station.
Not been to the distillery yet but the Tennents tour is meant to be good, amazing pizza place opposite. Grab a pizza, walk round the necropolis with it and then go to Drygate for a pint.

Thai food,Thai Lemongrass is probably the best. Go there, then head south to the Pot Still for a whisky introduction and then ask for recommendations.

What exactly are you looking for/into and I can give better recommendations. Where are you staying?

I thought Sapporo was objectively the best?

Tbh I do like myself the dumpling monkey place as well, rather small though.

Soldato

I've done this and really liked it. You need to book it well in advance though because it's popular and tour groups are limited to something like 12 people.
It was amazing to see the engineering, the abandoned underground stations and everything else that you wouldn't normally see. There was quite a bit of talk about the geography of Glasgow (understandably) and where exactly we were underground, the streets and shops, etc as well as some talk about where the old railways used to go, etc. I didn't really know where any of the streets and shops were despite living in Glasgow for 4 years a while ago, but still well recommended whether you know Glasgow or not.

For food, have a look through the Now Eating thread and filter on posts by @Craig1981, loads of good ideas there with photos of all the food too.

Man of Honour
I saw an episode of “Shetland” last week, where D.I. Jimmy Perez had flown to Glasgow to liaise with the cops there.
This female detective was showing him around the city, plus he had a rendezvous with his daughter, who is at college there.
Some of the bars and in particular the restaurants, looked great, and reminded me of when certain areas of London started to be a bit more modern and bohemian.
It made me think that if I were late twenties to around forty, I’d definitely be in my element there.
Of course, not knowing the layout of the city, I had no idea of where these eclectic bars and restaurants were in the grand scheme of the City of Glasgow, East side, West side, wherever, but they all looked good to me.

Soldato
OP
Welcome!

Thanks @Ahleckz

Were staying in Jury Inn by the bridge on Jamaica Street. Its right next to a 'Spoons.

Is the Thai place called Choaphraya (Sp!!) any good? The Mrs spotted that on the walk to the hotel. Didn't have a clue where the bus was dropping us off so got off aboit a 10min walk for the hotel.

Will take a look at the Pot Still and Rygate which I had a quick look at in the airport. Hopefully we can just walk in not book a table... That's the craft beer place I believe.

Pizza, whisky and beer are on my list of interests. But we're limited on time, only here till Tuesday evening.

Thanks!

Soldato
Thanks @Ahleckz

Were staying in Jury Inn by the bridge on Jamaica Street. Its right next to a 'Spoons.

Is the Thai place called Choaphraya (Sp!!) any good? The Mrs spotted that on the walk to the hotel. Didn't have a clue where the bus was dropping us off so got off aboit a 10min walk for the hotel.

Will take a look at the Pot Still and Rygate which I had a quick look at in the airport. Hopefully we can just walk in not book a table... That's the craft beer place I believe.

Pizza, whisky and beer are on my list of interests. But we're limited on time, only here till Tuesday evening.

Thanks!
If it's specifically the Sapporo type of experience you're after then Benihana has just opened on West Nile Street and its much better.

Also Chakoo on St Vincent St is good for an Indian curry and Mozza is just up the hill for pizza. I'd say its better than the pizza place on Miller Street that everyone raves about just now but the name of it escape me.

Soldato
Okay! Choaphraya is nice, you’ll have w good meal there.

If you like pizza, get yourself to Paesano. Best pizza in Glasgow. Once you’ve eaten there go round the corner to Brutti Compadres for a cocktail. Great bar and lovely crowd.

Brewdog has an outlet in merchant city called the doghouse (I’m there at the minute with a golden retriever - come say hi!) and loads of bars nearby.

If you want something a bit fancier go to Finnieston, loads of nice restaurants and bars. It’s all good! Start in the Ben Nevis for a whisky and go from there. Can give recommendations if you let me know. I eat out regularly.

Must dos - Paesano for sure. they don’t do bookings, but it’s big and I’ve never waited more than 10 minutes. It’s ten minutes walk from your hotel.

Pot Still for whisky. we may go later so say hi!

Soldato
Also, Bucks Bar do the best fried chicken and Blue Dog isn't a bad shout for cocktails.

Don't go into the pub next to it though.

Soldato
Thanks @Ahleckz

Thanks!
Just to confirm that both Rygate and The Pot Still are excellent pubs, the Pot Still especially if you like your whisky.

If you like your Indian food then check out Koolba in Union Street. Balbirs Tiffin Rooms is also fantastic but I can’t remember where it is!

Soldato
Just to confirm that both Rygate and The Pot Still are excellent pubs, the Pot Still especially if you like your whisky.

If you like your Indian food then check out Koolba in Union Street. Balbirs Tiffin Rooms is also fantastic but I can’t remember where it is!
They're both good. Only downside to Drygate is that it's a bit out of the way.

For Indian I'd chose either the Dakhin or the Dhabba instead of Koolba if you're down in the Merchant City.

Soldato
Paesano, that's it !

Don't listen to him Mozza is better. Paesano pizzas are too soggy.

Hah! I’ve never been to Mozza. I’ll check it out.

For Indian I'd chose either the Dakhin or the Dhabba instead of Koolba if you're down in the Merchant City.

I quite like Chakoo and handy for the city centre. Small plates as well which I enjoy.

Those big pancake bread things in Dhakin are the bomb though.

Soldato
Paesano, that's it !

Hah! I’ve never been to Mozza. I’ll check it out.

I quite like Chakoo and handy for the city centre. Small plates as well which I enjoy.

Those big pancake bread things in Dhakin are the bomb though.

Soldato
Oh boy. Where to even start...

If you like tasting menu's, try Six By Nico or Cail Bruich. Its a bit short notice though, so you might struggle to get a booking. Scran in Alexandra Parade or Gnom near Queens Park station both do excellent brunch's. Bill's restaurant in the city centre is a good choice. Buck's Bar is amazing for chicken. Revolution is a decent place for a cocktail. Mora Bar & Kitchen is a good Italian place. Pizza Punks does good pizza. I've not tried it yet, but a lot of people rave about Stack & Still if you fancy a good pancake house. Tazo Mazama and Topolabamba are both good for Mexican food. I don't really know many good Thai places, though I'm sure they exist. Only one I know is at the Silverburn shopping centre called Thaikhun. The Silverburn Shopping Centre is worth a visit. There's a really nice takeaway place called Sprigg if you fancy a good salad bowl. Tempo Tea Bar is good if you like bubble tea.

If your in the mood for something sweet then Deeserts or Loop & Scoop are both excellent choices.

And of course there's load of chain places that are good for eating, like Gourmet Burger Kitchen, Taco Bell, Tim Horton's, Patisserie Valerie, All Bar One, Pret, EAT. I'm sure there are countless more places, but that's all I can think of right now :D

Last edited:
Soldato
Oh boy. Where to even start...

If you like tasting menu's, try Six By Nico or Cail Bruich. Its a bit short notice though, so you might struggle to get a booking. Scran in Alexandra Parade or Gnom near Queens Park station both do excellent brunch's. Bill's restaurant in the city centre is a good choice. Buck's Bar is amazing for chicken. Revolution is a decent place for a cocktail. Mora Bar & Kitchen is a good Italian place. Pizza Punks does good pizza. I've not tried it yet, but a lot of people rave about Stack & Still if you fancy a good pancake house. Tazo Mazama and Topolabamba are both good for Mexican food. I don't really know many good Thai places, though I'm sure they exist. Only one I know is at the Silverburn shopping centre called Thaikhun. The Silverburn Shopping Centre is worth a visit.

If your in the mood for something sweet then Deeserts or Loop & Scoop are both excellent choices.

And of course there's load of chain places that are good for eating, like Gourmet Burger Kitchen, Taco Bell, Tim Horton's, Patisserie Valerie, All Bar One. I'm sure there are countless more places, but that's all I can think of right now :D

Please don’t come to Glasgow and go to a shopping centre or a huge chain for food. We have lots of fantastic restaurants, Taco Bell, Bills and Patisserie Valerie are not the places to go!

Soldato
I put them at the bottom for a reason :p

EDIT: Fannie Trollopes and Two Fat Ladies are both good restaurants, forgot about those.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I saw an episode of “Shetland” last week, where D.I. Jimmy Perez had flown to Glasgow to liaise with the cops there.
This female detective was showing him around the city, plus he had a rendezvous with his daughter, who is at college there.
Some of the bars and in particular the restaurants, looked great, and reminded me of when certain areas of London started to be a bit more modern and bohemian.
It made me think that if I were late twenties to around forty, I’d definitely be in my element there.
Of course, not knowing the layout of the city, I had no idea of where these eclectic bars and restaurants were in the grand scheme of the City of Glasgow, East side, West side, wherever, but they all looked good to me.

Shetland did make some of Glasgow look pretty good but wouldn't necessarily help you orientate yourself at all, they took some liberties with locations e.g. some of what they described as the Southside was clearly North of the river. It was quite nice recognising locations though.

Paesano, that's it !

I haven't been to Paesano myself although I've heard good things about it but I'd definitely agree that Mozza is good for pizza and it's very reasonably priced as well. For all that it's a chain Toni Macaroni does some pretty decent pizza too if you're stuck for other options in the city centre.

Back
Top Bottom