Only 24 hours until my new car arrives....it's a GTR!

OcUK Staff
Aha yes mate, I see it now!

I think I can do more on redgate too but you will remember being in the supra when I went off there years ago so I’m alittle cautious!

Managing 130-135mph indicated on starlets and lit straight though!

Yeah you got power, so I'd expect to see you at 135-140 on back straight and 130-135 on pit straight.

To give you an idea if you nail the old hairpin you will be travelling through there at 70-80mph and not the 55-65mph your at.

I keep the M3 on super sports (less grip) purely for the fun factor as it moves around so much but still its doing old hairpin at close to 75mph area, and seeing nearly 135mph on back straight, one day I will throw some sticky stuff on again like AR1's as they make a huge difference to corner speed and ability to brake super late.

Soldato
OP
So 24 month (oil, brake fluid, coolant) service went fine including optimisation however I had my check engine light investigated and turned out the exhaust valve had been “stuck” open somehow.

Not a huge issue as only the my 2017 cars and newer have this which just means the car is louder under 2500rpm, as you exceed that RPM the valve then opens fully anyway.

In practise the valve makes hardly any difference in quietening the car down so I never turned it on!

I have experienced another intermittent issue which is the nav unit occasionally turning off. Seems to be no rhyme or reason behind this but it powers back on fine. As predicted Nissan couldn’t replicate the problem.

After the track day the tyres and brake had taken a hammering and the OEM discs have started to develop hairline cracks, showing a 70% total wear on the brakes according to Nissan. Apparently very common and means they often get switched to higher performance discs.

Tyres are 3mm front and 4mm rear so not totally gone but slightly marbling is making the ride abit rough so will switch them out ASAP.

The rear wheel bearings are on their way out too which is suprising and can be heard at low speed which is annoying.

All this considered Nissan kindly dropped a modest bill, totalling £15k!

Broken down into the below:

- 4 new tyres £2k
- front discs + pads £2k
- new nav unit £7k (warranty covered)
- rear wheel bearings £1k (warranty covered)
- exhaust valve + new back box £3k (warranty covered)

So £11k warranty work and £4K consumables.

I have had quotes from auto torque and litchfields for the brakes + tyres for circa £2.5k which do not affect the warranty either.

First month of ownership is going well :D

OcUK Staff
So 24 month (oil, brake fluid, coolant) service went fine including optimisation however I had my check engine light investigated and turned out the exhaust valve had been “stuck” open somehow.

Not a huge issue as only the my 2017 cars and newer have this which just means the car is louder under 2500rpm, as you exceed that RPM the valve then opens fully anyway.

In practise the valve makes hardly any difference in quietening the car down so I never turned it on!

I have experienced another intermittent issue which is the nav unit occasionally turning off. Seems to be no rhyme or reason behind this but it powers back on fine. As predicted Nissan couldn’t replicate the problem.

After the track day the tyres and brake had taken a hammering and the OEM discs have started to develop hairline cracks, showing a 70% total wear on the brakes according to Nissan. Apparently very common and means they often get switched to higher performance discs.

Tyres are 3mm front and 4mm rear so not totally gone but slightly marbling is making the ride abit rough so will switch them out ASAP.

The rear wheel bearings are on their way out too which is suprising and can be heard at low speed which is annoying.

All this considered Nissan kindly dropped a modest bill, totalling £15k!

Broken down into the below:

- 4 new tyres £2k
- front discs + pads £2k
- new nav unit £7k (warranty covered)
- rear wheel bearings £1k (warranty covered)
- exhaust valve + new back box £3k (warranty covered)

So £11k warranty work and £4K consumables.

I have had quotes from auto torque and litchfields for the brakes + tyres for circa £2.5k which do not affect the warranty either.

First month of ownership is going well :D

Mate you purchased a nail, I'll give you £50 for it so you no longer have to worry about.

I am glad they are covering the wheel bearings as they could have thrown wear and tear at you so good on them.

GTR's destroy their brakes, because with fuel and drive its a near 2 tonne car and that hammers the brake disc, certainly don't pay Nissan prices, get the better ones for less money from Litchfields.
Tyres am sure shop around you can find PS4S all round for 1k. :)

Sgarrista
Commissario
- front discs + pads £2k

Alcon discs with RS29 pads, if you want something more "streetable" as RS29's can squeal if not used hard go for the ds2500 or the endless MX72.

At CATDT I stood on the brakes with ds2500s and they stopped the car perfectly on a technical level, but as we were trying to lock the wheels it wasnt so great... couldnt do it, 100% brake to the floor and they couldnt lock the wheels at all.

Man of Honour
GTR's destroy their brakes, because with fuel and drive its a near 2 tonne car and that hammers the brake disc, certainly don't pay Nissan prices, get the better ones for less money from Litchfields.

If there is one thing Nissan seem to do well it is bringing 2 tonne vehicles to a stop.

Soldato
OP
As Gibbo says, £2k for tyres seems like a rip off. Surely can get a full set of PS4S for around 1k?

Yes mate, that's what I'm going for. Michelin seem to be the go to once the OEM Dunlop run flats are due to be changed.

If there is one thing Nissan seem to do well it is bringing 2 tonne vehicles to a stop.

Yeah no complaints from me! Although my OEM front discs have developed hairline cracks, classic side effect of drilled discs. Thinking AP or Alcon as a replacement.

Associate
Direct from Litchfield is much cheaper.

Think I paid £258 for MP4S size 305 30 20, fronts I paid £235 275 35 20. These were from Openeo.

Brakes were £1254 fiitted and VAT. Alcons 380mm plus DS2500 Pads.

Not too bad considering the size of the brakes.

Soldato
OP
Direct from Litchfield is much cheaper.

Think I paid £258 for MP4S size 305 30 20, fronts I paid £235 275 35 20. These were from Openeo.

Brakes were £1254 fiitted and VAT. Alcons 380mm plus DS2500 Pads.

Not too bad considering the size of the brakes.

Got a quote from litchfield for £2.5k for tyres and front brakes.

Just waiting for auto torque to come back and will make a decision.

Caporegime
Rear wheel bearings £1K - I know its a special car but blimey :eek: :p

Tyres £500 each, disk and pad £1000 per corner.

Not for the faint hearted thats for sure!

And 7K for a nav unit? Jeez is it powered by an 8-Pack Supernova? :p

OcUK Staff
Rear wheel bearings £1K - I know its a special car but blimey :eek: :p

Tyres £500 each, disk and pad £1000 per corner.

Not for the faint hearted thats for sure!

And 7K for a nav unit? Jeez is it powered by an 8-Pack Supernova? :p

Brakes are cheap!

Ferrari wanted over 20k for disc and pads all round.
The deal price because I was buying the car was a substancial discount at 10k all round, which is remarkably cheap and it shows you the profit margins the dealers have, let alone the profit Ferrari has.
I am still gonna attempt repairing them with healing pads which is 1k a set, that works out cheaper than 10k if works. If that fails a set of surface transforms and pads is 7.5k, so at that point I shall probably take Ferrari's offer though I will just say great offer, but call it 8k and its a deal.

In fairness Ferrari service so far is good, I chatted about tyres and they were happy for me to get tyres delivered there and they will fit FOC, as they cannot match £790 for a full set but Camskill is cheapest by miles and I know Camskill have a direct account with Michelin UK so no middle man as to speak adding his markup.

Associate
Brakes are cheap!

Ferrari wanted over 20k for disc and pads all round.
The deal price because I was buying the car was a substancial discount at 10k all round, which is remarkably cheap and it shows you the profit margins the dealers have, let alone the profit Ferrari has.
I am still gonna attempt repairing them with healing pads which is 1k a set, that works out cheaper than 10k if works. If that fails a set of surface transforms and pads is 7.5k, so at that point I shall probably take Ferrari's offer though I will just say great offer, but call it 8k and its a deal.

In fairness Ferrari service so far is good, I chatted about tyres and they were happy for me to get tyres delivered there and they will fit FOC, as they cannot match £790 for a full set but Camskill is cheapest by miles and I know Camskill have a direct account with Michelin UK so no middle man as to speak adding his markup.

20k seems like utter madness for discs and pads :eek:.

Assuming no track days involved how many miles would they generally last for?

OcUK Staff
20k seems like utter madness for discs and pads :eek:.

Assuming no track days involved how many miles would they generally last for?

Pads 15-25k, disc 100-150k.
Ceramics disc are huge money, the margins are insane, in the early days yes there was a reason for the cost because they were made in such small numbers, but since then Brembo now mass produce them for several manufacturers, yet the pricing has remained the same.

Associate
Pads 15-25k, disc 100-150k.
Ceramics disc are huge money, the margins are insane, in the early days yes there was a reason for the cost because they were made in such small numbers, but since then Brembo now mass produce them for several manufacturers, yet the pricing has remained the same.

Bloody hell. Would've thought competition would've driven the price down a bit now. :eek:

Soldato
OP
Just bought Michelin’s all round for £1,026 inc fitted on black circles.

Wanted to get the tyres and brakes done in one sitting but Litchfield can’t fit me in for another 3 weeks! Brakes can wait alittle tyres cannot!

Getting done on Wednesday, then back to Nissan for the warranty bits.

Back
Top Bottom