Xbox One X

Caporegime
I thought the One X and One /S share exactly the same CPU architecture (jaguar), but just that the X is overclocked a few hundred mhz?

It is - 0.55GHz faster. I think @mid_gen is including the GPU which is indeed pretty capable.

But there are rumours that Microsoft is releasing two Xbox Next consoles - one which is likely to have a similar GPU to the Xbox One X but with a Zen 2 CPU and another more expensive model with better GPU. So why would they keep supporting the Xbox One X if a cheaper Xbox Next (maybe priced at £299) is going to be launched with a CPU which will trounce the X?

We're beginning to see games coming out now that are hitting native 4K on X1X and 1440p on PS4 Pro. (No third party seems be giving two figs about checkerboarding now but that's another story.) The former wobbles around 25-30fps and the latter is more solid 30fps. So what will that be like next-gen when you've got a Zen CPU running the show? Even PC gamers with weaker CPUs will be in for a shock.

Last edited:

ljt

ljt

Soldato
It is - 0.55GHz faster. I think @mid_gen is including the GPU which is indeed pretty capable.

But there are rumours that Microsoft is releasing two Xbox Next consoles - one which is likely to have a similar GPU to the Xbox One X but with a Zen 2 CPU and another more expensive model with better GPU. So why would they keep supporting the Xbox One X if a cheaper Xbox Next (maybe priced at £299) is going to be launched with a CPU which will trounce the X?

We're beginning to see games coming out now that are hitting native 4K on X1X and 1440p on PS4 Pro. (No third party seems be giving two figs about checkerboarding now but that's another story.) The former wobbles around 25-30fps and the latter is more solid 30fps. So what will that be like next-gen when you've got a Zen CPU running the show? Even PC gamers with weaker CPUs will be in for a shock.

Yeah the CPU's are the weakest link by far, even keeping the current One X GPU and pairing it with the newer Zen CPU's, would alleviate a lot of the fluctuating framerate issues.

Soldato
Yeah the CPU's are the weakest link by far, even keeping the current One X GPU and pairing it with the newer Zen CPU's, would alleviate a lot of the fluctuating framerate issues.

The hardware isn't as much of an issue tbh Zen isn't going to usher in a new era of games. The barriers to performance are more a software engineering issue at this stage with the number of cores available.

Caporegime
That's not true with Xbox One X if they had replaced the CPU with say a quad core Ryzen which has far faster cores you would have seen a massive increase in frame-rate without even touching any code and any bottlenecks would have been caused by the GPU running at 4K.

The idea that loads of tiny cores are as good as fewer and faster cores and that any performance issues are down to lazy developers should have died along with Bulldozer. Games aren't really suited to parallel processing.

Soldato
New method to purchase cheap games from foreign xbox markets. Need a Revolut virtual MasterCard.

Metro Exodus £11.38
The Division 2 £22.78
Far Cry 5 £4.28
Assassins Creed Odyssey Ultimate edition £11.27
Dirt rally 2 deluxe £12.53
Sekiro £34.12
Trials Rising £6.62

https://xbox-store-checker.com/en/new-method-how-to-pay-on-all-stores-without-gift-cards/

Fill yer boots before Microsoft decide to block this, again :cool:

For foreign address I always use a local Hilton hotel.

EDIT: Works a treat. Just bought Trials Rising and Dolby Headphone without issue.

Last edited:
Associate
New method to purchase cheap games from foreign xbox markets. Need a Revolut virtual MasterCard.

https://xbox-store-checker.com/en/new-method-how-to-pay-on-all-stores-without-gift-cards/

EDIT: Works a treat. Just bought Trials Rising and Dolby Headphone without issue.

Just got Metro and The division 2. Metro cash came off right away. Take it D2 will not come off tell release day ?

Soldato
Microsoft charge your credit card 10 days before a pre-order title is due for release (or that's what I remember from looking the last time).

Taken from the MS Store on clicking to buy The Division 2:

By selecting Buy, you agree to the Store terms of sale. If you pay for the entire order with your Microsoft account balance, it'll be charged immediately. If you use another way to pay for part or all of your order, you'll be charged up to 10 days before the release date. You'll be able to download your content immediately on release and thus lose any right to a "cooling-off" period during which you could cancel this purchase and get a refund after the release date.

Associate
Microsoft charge your credit card 10 days before a pre-order title is due for release (or that's what I remember from looking the last time).

Taken from the MS Store on clicking to buy The Division 2:

By selecting Buy, you agree to the Store terms of sale. If you pay for the entire order with your Microsoft account balance, it'll be charged immediately. If you use another way to pay for part or all of your order, you'll be charged up to 10 days before the release date. You'll be able to download your content immediately on release and thus lose any right to a "cooling-off" period during which you could cancel this purchase and get a refund after the release date.
Cheers bud.

Caporegime

Cool thanks for this, worked fine for me, bought Metro Gold edition for £15ish and pre ordered Sekiro. :)

Associate
I assume you can switch the language to English and aren't stuck playing the game in Spanish or whatever other language?

The Assassin's Creed Odyssey Gold/Ultimate Editions look like decent value as you also get the remastered Assassin's Creed III and Liberation with it.

Caporegime
I assume you can switch the language to English and aren't stuck playing the game in Spanish or whatever other language?

The Assassin's Creed Odyssey Gold/Ultimate Editions look like decent value as you also get the remastered Assassin's Creed III and Liberation with it.

Every time I've done this in the past the game has been in English.

Caporegime
I've only ever played the first, I was hoping that the second was as good or better? Guessing that it isn't then by your comment? :(

Crackdown > Crackdown 3 > Crackdown 2 is my order.

I only played Crackdown 2 once - when it first came out but never finished it. It didn't have the same "feeling" as the first game.

Associate
just got the game pass my external portable hard drive has filled up rapidly was thinking of buying a new 8tb WD external, is it a painless experience to transfer the data off a existing external too a new one ? it can be done by the console it's self i believe with no faffing with a pc ?

Back
Top Bottom