Son's PC build revisited - from Christmas 2018

Associate
OP

Hi ExoMale,

Thank you for posting the part list, that's within his budget and is happy to wait a little longer when he has the money. The graphics card was quite a bit more than what I thought I would spend. But if I drop the price of that then he can either get a cheaper build or slightly different parts.

His heart is set on that case and I think I might order it tonight;

Is there anyway I can test the case lights and connections before building the pc (I have no other parts at the minute)? The reason being, it might be a few more months before he gets all the parts to complete the build - because of saving his money or going for the new ryzen cpu that's going to be released. Or so a work mate tells me about the new cpu? So if the case is sat around for a while I want to double check its ok.

Thanks

Soldato
Hi ExoMale,

Thank you for posting the part list, that's within his budget and is happy to wait a little longer when he has the money. The graphics card was quite a bit more than what I thought I would spend. But if I drop the price of that then he can either get a cheaper build or slightly different parts.

His heart is set on that case and I think I might order it tonight;

Is there anyway I can test the case lights and connections before building the pc (I have no other parts at the minute)? The reason being, it might be a few more months before he gets all the parts to complete the build - because of saving his money or going for the new ryzen cpu that's going to be released. Or so a work mate tells me about the new cpu? So if the case is sat around for a while I want to double check its ok.

Thanks

well the gpu is debatable, i chose it because its the new radeon 7 and it trade blows with the 2080 or 2080ti(cant remember which) and sort of a better price, you could get the 2060, but it depends what level of performance he will want.

Associate
OP
well the gpu is debatable, i chose it because its the new radeon 7 and it trade blows with the 2080 or 2080ti(cant remember which) and sort of a better price, you could get the 2060, but it depends what level of performance he will want.

Ok, thank you. I was looking at about £250 for the gpu and saw this one;

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/sapp...ddr5-pci-express-graphics-card-gx-38r-sp.html

Would this be any good?

I am also coming up with a price of about £1400 - 1500, so my son (or should I say me) is short by about £550 max. Slightly worried that this might be overkill as he has only mentioned two games at the minute, CS Go and Roller Coaster Tycoon. I am sure he will want to play more demanding games, so I suppose spending more now for a better pc rather than upgrading later on is more practical for me anyway?

Soldato
Ok, thank you. I was looking at about £250 for the gpu and saw this one;

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/sapp...ddr5-pci-express-graphics-card-gx-38r-sp.html

Would this be any good?

I am also coming up with a price of about £1400 - 1500, so my son (or should I say me) is short by about £550 max. Slightly worried that this might be overkill as he has only mentioned two games at the minute, CS Go and Roller Coaster Tycoon. I am sure he will want to play more demanding games, so I suppose spending more now for a better pc rather than upgrading later on is more practical for me anyway?

you might aswell get something like this then or lower to a quad core + 1050ti that wont be overkill and just see how you get on.

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £872.95 (includes shipping: £14.10)​

use the remaining budget for a nice freesync monitor.

Associate
OP

Thats a much better price thank you especially as I will need to add in a better keyboard and monitor at some point. Those can come for birthdays etc.

Soldato
Thats a much better price thank you especially as I will need to add in a better keyboard and monitor at some point. Those can come for birthdays etc.

Total: £1,088.50 (includes shipping: £19.62)​

slightly over, with a monitor. Intel still beats ryzen at 1080p gaming , and thats with a VEGA 56 card and 3 free games!

need to clock ryzen to 4.3ghz with 3466hz to edge out the 9400 at 1080p . board also has wifi. another food for thought

Soldato
Total: £1,088.50 (includes shipping: £19.62)

slightly over, with a monitor. Intel still beats ryzen at 1080p gaming , and thats with a VEGA 56 card and 3 free games!

need to clock ryzen to 4.3ghz with 3466hz to edge out the 9400 at 1080p . board also has wifi. another food for thought

they are set on the case, so obviously that will make it a tad higher, the vega 56 is overkill as i found out with the radeon 7 lol, but thats a good price for an i5 though

Soldato
they are set on the case, so obviously that will make it a tad higher, the vega 56 is overkill as i found out with the radeon 7 lol, but thats a good price for an i5 though

age like fine wine :) 9400 floats between 8500/8600 if i can recall - still needs to be cheaper but no OEM chips :(

can have it shipped from US for £160 including VAT and shipping

Associate
OP
Hi all,

Really appreciate your help and advice, thank you :):):)

That's a good list of parts and thank you for tailoring it to my budget. I might take the monitor off and get it for his birthday / Christmas, which will give him a bit more money now. He has a LCD for his Xbox, which I think will be ok and will keep him going until he has enough money for a monitor - give him something to look forward to as well!

I felt a bit guilty about dropping his budget down from £1500 last night, he's a good kid and doesn't ask for anything so I think he deserves it. I chatted with my wife and she says it will be fine, but might have to wait a bit longer as he builds up his cash. I know he is after a Ryzen 7 2700 set up, so I will have a look into that and that's not saying that I don't appreciate your suggestions as I really do. They have been a great guidance, thank you.

I know my son is keeping an eye on this post, so I will have to be careful what I say!

This evening I pre-ordered the case from Overclockers that my son likes and he is really excited. For some reason it thought it was released today? But anyway, if there is a wait for it, then that's ok as I can look into the build parts with more time.

Soldato
you'll need MSI board for Razor RGB to work via software . Vega 56 with 3 free games and 1080 144hz gaming or 1440p 60hz .

focus plat on great sale price, 500gb ssd . included your case as you've already ordered it for pricing

Total: £982.99 (includes shipping: £14.10)​

RYZEN 2600X is currently on sale for under £160 - get it. Your son will only need a 2700 is he plans on streaming/vid editing . If its streaming then go RTX 2060 and use nvidia own encoder with OBS

Associate
OP
you'll need MSI board for Razor RGB to work via software . Vega 56 with 3 free games and 1080 144hz gaming or 1440p 60hz .

RYZEN 2600X is currently on sale for under £160 - get it. Your son will only need a 2700 is he plans on streaming/vid editing . If its streaming then go RTX 2060 and use nvidia own encoder with OBS

Hi Orbitalwalsh,

Thank you for the list, there are some good prices, having a look now.

I think my son was planning on streaming, video editing and game editing at some point, he also tells me he will make his millions on YouTube when he sets up an account!! So The RTX 2060 you suggested will be better.

I am glad you mentioned about the motherboard; I am slightly worried about compatibility with the lighting of the case after I pre-ordered it. Do you know if the lighting will work if the motherboard doesn't support the Razer software? If it doesn't support the software is the lighting just a static colour or will not come at all?

Soldato

focus plat on great sale price, 500gb ssd . included your case as you've already ordered it for pricing

Total: £982.99 (includes shipping: £14.10)

@sparkyb for the same price you can have about 12% higher FPS with the following changes;

Radeon RX VEGA 64 8GB £379.99
Cooler Master MasterBox Pro 5 RGB £59.99

The Lian-Li PC-O11 is a very nice case but why sacrifice other components? It would be different if you're buying a 9900K and a 2080ti etc becuase you'd want a high end case to go with it.

Associate
OP
@sparkyb for the same price you can have about 12% higher FPS with the following changes;

Radeon RX VEGA 64 8GB £379.99
Cooler Master MasterBox Pro 5 RGB £59.99

The Lian-Li PC-O11 is a very nice case but why sacrifice other components? It would be different if you're buying a 9900K and a 2080ti etc becuase you'd want a high end case to go with it.

Its the only case that my son liked, so it wasn't an option getting something else that he wouldn't be happy with regardless if it was cheaper. No news on the case yet.

I'm not sure I am sacrificing components for the cost of the case, I haven't made up my mind what I am going for yet. But I am leaning towards a Ryzen 7 2700 or 2700x seeing as its only £20 more expensive at the minute. Which will allow me to "borrow" his pc and perhaps do some 3D modelling / rendering and CAD work. I don't think it really matters what parts go in cheap or expensive case so long as your happy with it.

Associate
OP
Hi,

My sons case arrived today and its really nice, if your getting one yourself then I don't think you will be disappointed! Really pleased with the speed and efficiency from Overclockers on the case.

I had a good look over it and all seems fine, but there are two cables that I am unsure of. These two cables are not mentioned in the manual;

One looks like a sata cable and is going to the front panel?

The other one is a small 2 pin cable with the text "sw power" stamped on the plastic body. I am sure this is for the power switch, but I seem to remember on my old Lian Li case that the power cable was attached to several other ones and not one its own like this one?

Would you know what these are for and where to plug them in on the motherboard please?

Soldato
Hi,

My sons case arrived today and its really nice, if your getting one yourself then I don't think you will be disappointed! Really pleased with the speed and efficiency from Overclockers on the case.

I had a good look over it and all seems fine, but there are two cables that I am unsure of. These two cables are not mentioned in the manual;

One looks like a sata cable and is going to the front panel?

The other one is a small 2 pin cable with the text "sw power" stamped on the plastic body. I am sure this is for the power switch, but I seem to remember on my old Lian Li case that the power cable was attached to several other ones and not one its own like this one?

Would you know what these are for and where to plug them in on the motherboard please?

Hi

The sw power definitely sounds like the power switch. Some case manufacturers label it the other way round though.

As for the sata type one that is probably for the front USB C. Does it look like the picture at the very bottom right of this review ? Don't think the Tomahawk has an internal connector for that though.

https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/LianLi/PC-O11_Dynamic/4.html

Associate
OP
Hi

The sw power definitely sounds like the power switch. Some case manufacturers label it the other way round though.

As for the sata type one that is probably for the front USB C. Does it look like the picture at the very bottom right of this review ? Don't think the Tomahawk has an internal connector for that though.

https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/LianLi/PC-O11_Dynamic/4.html

Hi lee32uk,

Thank you for the link - didn't know of that one and that's really helpful.

Yes, the sata cable is exactly like the one in the picture you mentioned

As for the power cable (looking at the bottom left picture in the review) my cable is like the one on the right hand side. But I think it was on its own and not with another cable as the picture? I have put the case back together now so will have to check tomorrow night.

Soldato
Hi lee32uk,

Thank you for the link - didn't know of that one and that's really helpful.

Yes, the sata cable is exactly like the one in the picture you mentioned

As for the power cable (looking at the bottom left picture in the review) my cable is like the one on the right hand side. But I think it was on its own and not with another cable as the picture? I have put the case back together now so will have to check tomorrow night.

You might be able to trace the cable to the front and see where it connects. Is there any other front header cables ? You usually have ones like reset and power led etc but it depends on the case in question.

Associate
little curve ball and a 2700x ive added a monitor and keyboard in for suggestion, of course if you add the extra cooling into the case you need to take this into mind as a budget alert, take the 2 extra's out it comes to £1161.03

I know you have brought case already, but added as total guide line

Total: £1,426.91 (includes shipping: £0.00)​

Associate
Couple of rgb fans idea's here for you too, Im sure a few of the other guys who are better than me at this can give there opinions too.

But just a rough outlay on cooling for you to consider for case

Total: £560.42 (includes shipping: £10.50)​

Back
Top Bottom