Star Wars VIII : The Last Jedi [WARNING: SPOILERS]

Soldato
As a brain dead piece of scifi fluff, this film is mildly entertaining . As a star wars film however, it is utterly horrible and fails on just about every level possible.

I will not be watching any more star wars films until Disney has sold the franchise on.

Associate
^ Whilst I share your view of The Last Jedi, TFA, Rogue One and the Solo film were worthy additions to the franchise IMO and well worth watching.

Last edited:
Soldato
^ Whilst I share your view of The Last Jedi, TFA, Rogue One and the Solo film were worthy editions to the franchise IMO and well worth watching.

Rogue One was fairly decent, but i don't agree on the others.

Solo and TFA although pretty poor, were still infinitely better than last jedi.

Last Jedi was so bad, it could actually pass for a star wars spoof!

Associate
The problem with TLJ in my view is that it simply disregards the lore of the series to date in so many places, and as a result could almost be a spoof as you said @IvanDobskey. At least the remaining films - even the much derided prequels - respect the source material.

As an aside I was recovering from an op last week so watched the relevant films in machete order for the first time. Even for an old Star Wars fanatic such as myself, this gave me a really fresh perspective on the two original trilogies, other than TPM which machete recommends to skip.

Soldato
Me too. TLJ is an utterly woeful film. I was so disappointed. There's trying to attract a new generation of fans, and then there's producing a film that feels tonally different to everything that went before it (including TFA).

Soldato
giphy.gif

Soldato
People still crying over this? :D
You need to get on with your lives - you're in the vocal minority and you aren't going to change any minds.
It wasn't the film you wanted - move on, go find a film you like.

Man of Honour
you're in the vocal minority

Uh have you seen the reviews? even after a PR job its overwhelmingly negative and more telling (and showing how much of a PR job was done to raise reviews) the heavily promoted user reviews are all overwhelmingly negative:

5 star 31%
4 star 16%
3 star 16%
2 star 14%
1 star 23%

Wish I'd screenshot before someone did a PR job and flooded the results with 5 star reviews and they still barely got it above negatives.

Amazon even stopped accepting negative reviews for it for awhile due to "abnormal rating behaviour" detected which was actually just how badly it was accepted by most people.

Soldato
People still crying over this? :D
You need to get on with your lives - you're in the vocal minority and you aren't going to change any minds.
It wasn't the film you wanted - move on, go find a film you like.

100% this... so tired of people complaining...

You know what else sometimes doesn't work out how you expected? Life... everything... the real world... this is just an extension of that...

Soldato
Last Jedi was so bad, it could actually pass for a star wars spoof!
It's not accurate enough to pass for a spoof.

It's about the aesthetic and internal consistency. People understand and accept it's all made up and it's not real physics but to continue to suspend disbelief you need some kind of internal consistency. The Last Jedi fails on this count in so many ways it's untrue. Space fuel, I mean wtf 8 movies in and now knowing where the nearest Esso garage is situated s a thing? Bombs that look like they fell out of a flying fortress or captains of Star Destroyers who sit back and watch their flagship be destroyed without launching fighters. Oh and the guy who risked his life to save one of the most evil men in the universe because he thought he sensed good in him tried to kill his own nephew, you are having a giraffe. Then he sulked for 30 years but left a map so he could be found. The entire rebellion is destroyed but everyone on the Falcon seems fairly cool about it. That's without discussing "Planet Capitalism Is Bad" or Super Rey.
The Last Jedi is a mess and having watched it once at the cinema and once with my wife at Christmas I doubt I will ever watch it again.

Or pink hair lady forgetting that every jump to light speed requires a computer to plot the course as standard, you don't need to commit suicide it can do it without human help.
(Unless you were so ashamed of your failure to command that suicide was the only option)

Man of Honour
But it's not light it's plasma :cool:

It is always going to be a bit subjective what people do and don't find believable but there is a generally a point most people can suspend their disbelief especially if as mentioned above there is some kind of "internal consistency" or atleast some kind of explanation that seems atleast passably credible - TLJ ignores all of that.

Back
Top Bottom