Nice pongs and gorgeous whiffs. The Aftershave thread!

Associate
  • Creed Aventus - shockingly expensive but fab
  • Sauvage (EDT) - love the darkness and subtlety of this one
  • Tom Ford Grey Vetiver - have to confess I thought this was slightly 'effeminate' initially compared to the others, but it's a real grower
Nearly a week on from buying those three and I've got to say, against all expectation that the Tom Ford Grey Vetiver has rapidly become my daily go-to ...

Associate
Digging my vetiver based fragrances at the moment, Hermes vetiver intense is amazing, really like Tom Ford Grey Vetiver as well.

Anyone tried Creed Original Vetiver?

V_R

V_R

Soldato
Yeah I'm a big fan of both Pure Havane and Pure Malt. Layering them both is even better. :)

Anyone tried Creed Original Vetiver?
I've had a sample, not really my thing though.

Mugler Cologne is very similar if you wanted to try it, you can get samples of them if you want.

Or i think Perfume Parlour do a clone of it, should be pretty close its not a complex fragrance.

Associate
Cheers ill take a punt, missus may be getting it for my birthday anyway so its not like its costing me anything lol

Soldato
Got some TF samples from my workmate...

Plum Japonais - smells lovely... but would want to smell it on a lady rather than myself (I know the private blends are unisex but felt this one leans more feminine)

Oud Minerale - going for the 'smell of the sea' type thing but... not my thing. At all.

Venetian Bergamont - nice but didn't make me want to buy it

Bois De Vert - as above, definitely smells 'green'.

Tobacco Oud Intense - quite liked it but polarised people from 'different, but nice' to 'smells like a granny's ashtray'

Fougere D'Argent - ambroxbin but not as in-your-face as Sauvage, really enjoyed this one as a freshy. Ladies liked it too.

Soldato
Not sure if everyones noticed with the fakes, such as CDNI or PP, but mine which is a good six months old absolutely stinks!!!! I mean the scent is the same, but my god is it strong.
I put a couple of sprays on yesterday and you could smell me a mile away. It wouldn't leave me either, not even after a shower.

Associate
Colleague brought in his bottle of Armaf Tres Nuit for me to try today as fancying a GIT clone in the upcoming Spring/Summer to go along with the trusty CDNI.

Sprayed 1 each on reap of neck and 1 on each wrist at 08:30.

What can I say - this is certainly an unusual and alluring fragrance! It opens with a lovely and fresh Iris/citrus accord resembling GIT but slightly less 'Green'.

Now 10:30 As the dry down continues there's a hint of spice and soft sweet pastel type smell which reminds me of those Parma Violet sweets but still is balanced with fresh citrus and now almost fully resembles GIT but a tad spicier and woody, I would guess due to the Sandalwood and Ambergris coming through from the base.

I am thoroughly impressed and certainly doesn't smell like the usual Amber based smells that have flooded the market recently.

Fragrance isn't 'beast mode' projection like CDNI or Sauvage EDT as it doesn't project further than arms length but Sillage is good! It certainly lingers as when I left my chair to make a coffee I returned to the smell being present there.

So far, this is definitely a fragrance that would suit the office or walk in the sunshine as much as it would suit a romantic evening dinner in an open air restaurant.

Will update with thoughts on its base in a few hours.

EDIT:

15:20 Base notes of Ambergris and Sandalwood shining through now although the scent has calmed to a close skin scent but very noticeable when the nose is pressed against the skin. The Ambergris is in no way over powering the woody floral musk this has changed into. It smells even more sophisticated now than it did on the opening.

Scores:-

Projection 6/10
Sillage - 8/10
Smell - 10/10
Performance/Longevity - 8/10

Overall this scores = 8/10. Amazing frag that is OK for the office as it won't project for miles and leave people choking (scored it down on this simply on the distance it travels which some would consider a good thing). This frag does however seem to more suit a warm spring/summer evening or intimate sit down meal.

Shawrey

Last edited:
Soldato
My fragrances have hit an all time numeric low, so will be replenishing with new scents. Based on reviews here, my first batch is:

Lalique Encre Noire Eau de Toilette 100 ml
Guerlain Vetiver Eau De Toilette Spray For Him 100ml
Armaf, Tres Nuit Pour Homme Eau de Toilette 100ml

Soldato
I find Armaf Tres Nuit smells great but really lasts an hour max.

I've been wearing Versace Man Eau Fraiche this week and have received a ton of compliments. Probably the best performing fresh fragrance I've ever had.

Soldato
Armaf Tres Nuit is a very nostalgic fragrance for me - when I Was ~14yrs old I wore Harley Davidson Deodorant for around 6 months before it was pulled from the shelves. Armaf Tres Nuit is absolutely that fragrance, and I love it!

Associate
Okay, this has got quite addictive now. Bought Armani’s Acqua di Gio Profumo a few weeks ago, which has become another of my regular faves along with the aforementioned Tom Ford. Got a couple more arriving tomorrow:
  • Versace Man Eau Fraich - looked into this after AiiR mentioned it a couple of posts above and thought I’d try it
  • Calvin Klein Obsession for Men - seems to be considered something of a classic by some and at the price I paid (see below) I thought it was worth a punt
Bit of a gamble, but I tend to buy mine from the same site one of my workmates buys her perfume from and it turns out they were having a bit of a sale over the weekend - the Versace was £39 instead of £62 (100ml spray) and the Calvin Klein was £23 instead of £59 (125ml spray) ... well, what was I to do :D ?

Armaf Tres Nuit is a very nostalgic fragrance for me - when I Was ~14yrs old I wore Harley Davidson Deodorant for around 6 months before it was pulled from the shelves. Armaf Tres Nuit is absolutely that fragrance, and I love it!
Good God, you’ve just reminded me - I’ve still got a bottle of Harley Davidson aftershave in the back of my bathroom cabinet that my former mother-in-law bought me many, many years ago. Was never a huge fan, but I bet it smells somewhat worse by now ...

Caporegime
I've got to say I'm not massively into fragrances, I've bought Dior Higher since the naughties, a girl I was going out with back then picked it for me, it has basically been my go to scent since using Lynx Africa as a teenager*! I've only had to buy a new bottle a couple of times since then.

I've got a couple of Hugo Boss fragrances (Christmas presents) that I've used occasionally (both have plenty left albeit the ball isn't too great anymore and probably needs to be thrown out).

I've just blind bought Armaf CDNI since it seems to have been recommended a bunch of times on here and it was cheap enough (twenty quid on amazon) that if I didn't like it it could just go in the bin. I've got to say I'm not sure what the fuss is about, it arrived yesterday, don't get me wrong it isn't a bad scent and it does seem to last (my Dior scent doesn't really) but if that is really similar to the original Creed product then I don't think I'll bother splashing out on a bottle of Aventus. Happy to wear the CDNI though - I'm not going to bin it.

I've lurked a bit on some fragrance forums and I still don't get the whole collecting thing (with regards to buying up a large collection) - it is almost like the audiophile golden ears brigade at times, one one hand they seem to be able to detect all these different notes etc.. yet on the other hand they seem to be pretty cool with the idea of buying a bunch of products and keeping them despite the fact that perfumes tend to degrade (sometimes quite noticeably) within a few years. Seemingly the golden noses that can detect all these notes etc... are also happy buying old, discontinued products or buying up large collections they've got no chance of getting through in the next few years even if wearing one daily.

*incidentally I still get the Lynx Africa deodorant sprays sometimes and I still think it is actually a pretty decent fragrance despite its association with the Lynx brand.

Associate
I've got to say I'm not massively into fragrances, I've bought Dior Higher since the naughties, a girl I was going out with back then picked it for me, it has basically been my go to scent since using Lynx Africa as a teenager*! I've only had to buy a new bottle a couple of times since then.
It was Lynx Oriental in my day - us teenage boys used to practically bathe in the stuff and in fairness, at the time it did seem quite popular with the laydees ;)

I've lurked a bit on some fragrance forums and I still don't get the whole collecting thing (with regards to buying up a large collection) - it is almost like the audiophile golden ears brigade at times, one one hand they seem to be able to detect all these different notes etc.. yet on the other hand they seem to be pretty cool with the idea of buying a bunch of products and keeping them despite the fact that perfumes tend to degrade (sometimes quite noticeably) within a few years. Seemingly the golden noses that can detect all these notes etc... are also happy buying old, discontinued products or buying up large collections they've got no chance of getting through in the next few years even if wearing one daily.
It IS a bit excessive I grant you, but it's nice to buy some decent stuff for a change, rather than relying on whatever's being sold in Tescos and even better when you can choose a different one every day, depending on your mood or the occasion. It's pretty much my only real extravagance when I think about it.

Personally, I'm also no good at picking out the individual notes in a fragrance in much the same way as I'm not much good at picking up on the subtle differences between different wines - I just know what I like when I smell it!

Back
Top Bottom