Naturally Aspirated Cars

Man of Honour
Golf mk4 R32
Golf mk5 R32
Audi A3 V6

Not particularly quick for the engine size and fuel. But a wonderful sound, especially in R32 guise.

Soldato
In the past I have owned mainly NA cars, and two turbo petrols. Both were not very fuel efficient for my commute. My current Toyota Yaris is NA and find it very rev happy, would keep it but it’s my wife’s car and a little small for me, hence the wanting of a 4 seater sports car.

newer turbo engines are fine.

I wouldn't dismiss them.

you're limiting your choices massively because many of the newer cars are turboed due to emissions.

Soldato
Are you after something 'sporty' (like a hot hatch or fast saloon) or something a little more like a coupe (like the GT86).

You could look at something ranging from a Fiesta ST with minimal running costs and warranty, to something like a BMW 6 series with much higher running costs and no manufacturer warranty. I'd maybe suggest going out to browse a few forecorts and narrow down what you're looking for.

Associate
OP
I went down the hot hatch route and most of the cars I sat in were just too small; Ford Fiesta ST, VW Polo Gti, Clio RS, 208 Gti. Don’t want a big saloon as I prefer the 2dr/3dr option. The problem with me is I have more leg than body. I sat in the Gt86 and there was enough room. Also had a Mini Cooper which was roomy.

Man of Honour
The FD2 is one of the most exciting yet practical NA cars around for that budget, plus they're not going to lose any money either. Standard suspension is firm (Koni rear shocks are cheap and make it much better), the seating position is high and the interior is that of a 10 year old Honda, but for driving pleasure, being practical and devastatingly fast around bends you're going to struggle to beat it for the price. They also do 35 mpg + on a run.

Soldato
The FD2 is one of the most exciting yet practical NA cars around for that budget, plus they're not going to lose any money either. Standard suspension is firm (Koni rear shocks are cheap and make it much better), the seating position is high and the interior is that of a 10 year old Honda, but for driving pleasure, being practical and devastatingly fast around bends you're going to struggle to beat it for the price. They also do 35 mpg + on a run.

Also the option of spending a little less on an Integra DC5 or an Accord CL7 Euro R both great cars that share the same engine.

Soldato
Turbo engines have come along way. Massive difference between my old R26 and 140i. The B58 engine doesn't even feel turbocharged really.

They still don't feel as smooth or responsive as a NA engine though (or sound as good), especially the small turbo engines. Plus not having a turbo means no risk of the turbo going bang :p

Last edited:
OcUK Staff
They still don't feel as smooth or responsive as a NA engine though (or sound as good), especially the small turbo engines. Plus not having a turbo means no risk of the turbo going bang :p

As you say driven most the latest turbo stuff, it has improved vastly but now maybe to the point where it still can't match NA but also in many ways has lost what made turbos appealing in first place, which if anything makes the modern stuff even worse.

For me NA, SC, then turbo but could be worse though, could be an EV.

Man of Honour

Got to be honest I've never really noticed a huge difference in smoothness personally between NA and a decent turbo though aside from my first car I've mostly driven V6 or similar type engines.

Soldato
Just to re-emphasise that as GT86 is not really a usable 2+2. I'm 6'4 as well, and there's literally no chance of anyone being sat behind me, including my 7 year old. It might have rear seats, but at best you're looking at a 2+1. The rear seats are ideal as storage and for putting things on, but not for actually sitting in :D

Soldato
I went down the hot hatch route and most of the cars I sat in were just too small; Ford Fiesta ST, VW Polo Gti, Clio RS, 208 Gti. Don’t want a big saloon as I prefer the 2dr/3dr option. The problem with me is I have more leg than body. I sat in the Gt86 and there was enough room. Also had a Mini Cooper which was roomy.

I30 N, properly practical and fun.

Back
Top Bottom