Cyclists - how far do you commute to work?

Soldato
8 miles each way. Takes about half an hour depending on traffic. I try and do it most days, even with bad weather but I never cycle when its frosty or icy. That's just plain foolish.

Associate
Strictly a Spring-Autumn cyclist, but when I do, it is 17.4 miles each way (34.2 miles round trip). It is in Cambridgeshire, so there are no hills to speak of, and I am blessed with a brilliant off-road tarmac'ed cycle way which runs alongside the (infamous) Cambridgeshire Guided Bus Rout from St Ives (Cambs) to Cambridge, which covers most of the route. On my hybrid (fatter, semi-treaded tyres, not a eBike) I can do it in close to an hour when the wind allows (assists with a tail wind, or is absent!) and I really do enjoy it and get into it during the warmer, lighter months.

Soldato
They should have insurance too. In busy built up places like central London, they can be just as dangerous to pedestrians as cars.

A lot of us do have insurance. As most club cyclists often require British Cycling membership which is about £40 it covers you for third party liability insurance as well as gives you discounts etc. so its a no brainer really (Im not a club cyclist but do have British Cycling membership)

Soldato
~20 miles each way 3 times a week but that can vary as the shorter route is the busiest and the longer routes are down country lanes so much more pleasant in summer. I have showers at work though and an area to dry my clothes so that's a huge advantage as I can do the ride in just under an hour and not worry about being a smelly mess the rest of the day :)

Plus I have a set of clothes at work to change into so I carry only bits I need to keep protected or make repairs on route. That doesn't happen so often now I've changed my wheels, tubes and tyres to find a more resistant combo.

My "night" kit consists of a Torch T2 helmet (front and back light panels) plus 2 rear lights and a bright front LED with large battery pack (shrouded to stop dazzling). I start early to work.

Basically I have a section in my kitchen with a clothes rack and bins just for my cycling kit! Oh and a cycle repair stand to make regular serving easy.

I used to save ~£400 a year in diesel but not so much now I'm driving an EV.

Soldato
used to do 10-15 miles each way for 4 years straight

no problems, literally went from no cycling to cycling 5 days a week, the first couple of weeks were painful but after that I got used to it and had no issues.

e.g. of one of my old commutes..

Caporegime
I had a colleague back in 2003 who started to cycle to work to get fitter.

2 weeks in he got knocked off and broke his arm and ankle I kid you not. Don’t think he ended up feeling much fitter.

Guy at work got his hip and femur broken. Bed bound for months.

Now back cycling, 6 months(ish) later.

Soldato
used to do 10-15 miles each way for 4 years straight

no problems, literally went from no cycling to cycling 5 days a week, the first couple of weeks were painful but after that I got used to it and had no issues.

e.g. of one of my old commutes..

Good cycling.

Makes me want to fix my bike, used to do 8 miles through central London each way for like almost 4 years.

Our paths cross at marble arch.

Soldato
Good cycling.

Makes me want to fix my bike, used to do 8 miles through central London each way for like almost 4 years.

Our paths cross at marble arch.

thanks!

I kinda miss it and kinda don't, had some great rides, made some great friends etc.. want to get back on the bike but for fun rather than commuting.

Associate
I do 20 miles each way, it's tough to begin with but your body adapts quickly, I'm now skinny and can eat pretty much whatever I want, feel fit and get sick less often.

For me it has been win win.

Back
Top Bottom