Formula 1 2019 Freeview Viewing?

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

I thought it was £10pm but in reality it's £32pm as you need to take the entertainment pack :(

Associate
I grabbed an £8 sat finder and re-aligned my parents old (unused) sky dish at the weekend, pointing it to 19.2E Astra1. Picked up RTL no problem, my mum is a big f1 fan, but can't justify the sky costs and now TV prices. She did NowTV last year, but just the exclusive races, C4 for the others. Especially when you think other countries can have F1TV pro for €8.99 EUR p/m, she'd have happily done that this year if she could.

The only legal way I can see of getting FTA F1 live in the UK is RTL now. Then just mute the audio and play R5L over the top. My mum is going to try it for the first race at least and see what it's like, other than the sat finder, I bought, it's costing her nothing to try.

Kol

Kol

Man of Honour
The only legal way I can see of getting FTA F1 live in the UK is RTL now. Then just mute the audio and play R5L over the top. My mum is going to try it for the first race at least and see what it's like, other than the sat finder, I bought, it's costing her nothing to try.

I had to do that when I was away for the weekend in Germany. Internet connection was useless so couldn't use Sky go, but it was just about OK to use iPlayer radio. Problem was, iPlayer radio is often about 30s-1m behind so if she does that make sure she listens to R5L on the wireless or DAB. Seeing what was happening but hearing the reactions way behind was a little tiring.

Associate
I had to do that when I was away for the weekend in Germany. Internet connection was useless so couldn't use Sky go, but it was just about OK to use iPlayer radio. Problem was, iPlayer radio is often about 30s-1m behind so if she does that make sure she listens to R5L on the wireless or DAB. Seeing what was happening but hearing the reactions way behind was a little tiring.

She was going to play R5L through the youview box, so it's probably about the same as DAB. At least if R5L is slightly ahead she can pause it to sync up, hopefully it's not the other way round, but at least there is no lip sync needed, if it's within a second or two, it should be fine.

Kol

Kol

Man of Honour
Good point @alexp999 , didn't think about having the ability to pause. Youview should be only a few seconds out compared to streaming through iPlayer or something.

Soldato
I'll be watching on C4 this year but i do feel i should start to ween myself away from F1 as it looks like it's going to be impossible to watch it without paying stupid amounts or going illegal moving forward :(

I've been watching since i was old enough to understand what was going on in the mid 90's and it's a real shame that i feel like i'm being pushed out as i just can't afford to pay insane sky prices

Caporegime
I'll be watching on C4 this year but i do feel i should start to ween myself away from F1 as it looks like it's going to be impossible to watch it without paying stupid amounts or going illegal moving forward :(

I've been watching since i was old enough to understand what was going on in the mid 90's and it's a real shame that i feel like i'm being pushed out as i just can't afford to pay insane sky prices

Same boat.
Feel I should not check the F1 news anymore and just try and go cold turkey.
Its sad really.

Can anyone confirm if there are any catch up services like all4 last year??

Dont usually watch live, but I usually watch on demand later. 30min to 1hr highlights is perfect If its 5-10 mins I won't bother

Associate
One for those who use now tv. I have BTTV box/Xbox360 or nowtv app on smart tv for access...

Whats NowTV like for catchup f1 for the ones i dont catch live or Pausing and resuming live tv etc?

How long do they take to appear and can you join half way through a live race but start at the beginning?

Mate asked if i fancy sharing the £195 deal as two devices can watch at the same time so halfs the cost...

Caporegime
So anyone on the fence about watching due to cost I had 10 new entertainment offers appear on the F&F site for entertainment for £11pm! Add on the F1 for £10 and that's F1 in HD for £21pm for 18 months! I will update the thread tonight with some other offers too but send me a trust message if you're interested. Usually 3 months or 100 post restrictions apply.

Soldato
I've always viewed F1 via Freeview wither it's been BBC or Channel 4 as I don't want to take a Sky TV package just for F1.

I have an Apple TV and can get the NowTV app on it (apparently a more updated version of the app is in beta testing) the current version looks very poor. With the F1 season pass offer that started on the 1st March, I'm wondering if it's worth it and if anyone watched F1 last year through the NowTV app on Apple TV?
What's the streaming quality like? From what's been said above it sounds like it's pretty limited - no live pause and the ability to only catchup at certain times not fully on demand.

Is it worth it?

Caporegime
So anyone on the fence about watching due to cost I had 10 new entertainment offers appear on the F&F site for entertainment for £11pm! Add on the F1 for £10 and that's F1 in HD for £21pm for 18 months! I will update the thread tonight with some other offers too but send me a trust message if you're interested. Usually 3 months or 100 post restrictions apply.

Sticky Post in the Home Cinema & Hi-Fi forum updated with the current offers.

Caporegime
I've always viewed F1 via Freeview wither it's been BBC or Channel 4 as I don't want to take a Sky TV package just for F1.

I have an Apple TV and can get the NowTV app on it (apparently a more updated version of the app is in beta testing) the current version looks very poor. With the F1 season pass offer that started on the 1st March, I'm wondering if it's worth it and if anyone watched F1 last year through the NowTV app on Apple TV?
What's the streaming quality like? From what's been said above it sounds like it's pretty limited - no live pause and the ability to only catchup at certain times not fully on demand.

Is it worth it?
No pausing, no recording and little in the way of F1 replays. usually all that's available on demand is a highlights show, not the full GP so unless you're actually going to be in to watch them then you'll be stuck with downloadable highlights.

Associate
I would take out the £10 a month for Sky F1 if they hadn't annoyed me with the last bill increase. Sure its only an extra £2 a month on just the ents package but I feel like them telling you the price after 18 months should mean the price is set for those 18 months. Broadband users could leave penalty free but not those under a TV deal. All its made me do is make a note to kill sky off when I reach the end of the contract. So I hope they enjoy the extra £28 over the remaining 14 months of my contract.

Back
Top Bottom