HGV Drivers Report In!

Soldato
Here I must disagree, you should be able to couple at a snails pace @Outcast ,would you agree? - you roll gently onto the pin and then make sure you hear the click as the 5th wheels jaw engages (yes peeps, an articulated trucks trailer is held in place by a little piece of steel, nothing more!) then you do a tug test to make sure it’s engaged and your good.

I find lifting the air suspension as you back under the trailer makes this easier, not to mention it makes winding up the legs far easier.

Applying speed and force is what shags them in the first place.

If your having to give it the Captain Caveman treatment there’s something wrong with the 5th wheel.

For a novice it's hearing the click when the 5th wheel engages. If I get out and check and it's not quite coupled - instant failure.

I am far more mechanically sympathetic than what they teach you. I need to do it to a test standard to pass, then I can do it gentler. We don't get shown how to sort air suspension on the truck or trailer. It's not part of the test.

Caporegime
For a novice it's hearing the click when the 5th wheel engages. If I get out and check and it's not quite coupled - instant failure.

I am far more mechanically sympathetic than what they teach you. I need to do it to a test standard to pass, then I can do it gentler. We don't get shown how to sort air suspension on the truck or trailer. It's not part of the test.
Are you still having lessons? Get your instructor to show you, alternatively, if you spot a similar model truck to what your taking the test in out on your travels, ask the driver if he’d show you, I’m sure if you asked nicely and explained why any driver would gladly show you how the air suspension works, it’s quite simple.

I’d have thought you’d get marked down for being too forceful whilst coupling up, but, it just goes to show the test does not reflect reality whatsoever.

Soldato
Are you still having lessons? Get your instructor to show you, alternatively, if you spot a similar model truck to what your taking the test in out on your travels, ask the driver if he’d show you, I’m sure if you asked nicely and explained why any driver would gladly show you how the air suspension works, it’s quite simple.

I’d have thought you’d get marked down for being too forceful whilst coupling up, but, it just goes to show the test does not reflect reality whatsoever.

Sorry for lack of response. I had my lessons in October last year and nothing since. Trying to get class 2 work to get my money back up for the £325 retest fee....

Soldato
OP
Tough old day today having 4 drops on steel, a lot of work in chucking chains about 8 times and other messing about in the rain. Still take it over any RDC waiting room though :D

6zLMELE.jpg

Associate
Dunno if I'll bother doing my class 1. I get paid roughly the same driving class 2 where I work atm as I would be driving class 1. Would be interesting to learn I guess.

Soldato
Dunno if I'll bother doing my class 1. I get paid roughly the same driving class 2 where I work atm as I would be driving class 1. Would be interesting to learn I guess.

The other thing is if you use a correctly accredited trainer you can set it against your CPC. I'm giving it serious thought since I still need to get 5 days in before the end of the year.

Caporegime
My only regret going from Class 2 to 1 was not doing it years ago, you generally do less work for a marginally higher rate of pay, Artics are usually much better specced than rigids, you’ll end up (eventually) driving the bigger cabbed variants and V8’s :cool: and despite what you may think you can put an Artic in places you’d never get a rigid.

There’s FAR more employment opportunities for Class 1 than 2.

Get it done, you won’t regret it.

Associate
Hmmm, you're tempting me. :p I've been moved onto a 38tn top heavy pain in the rear volumetric that has a 400bhp engine and barely moves. Embarrassing slowing to 40 uphill on motorways. :o

Caporegime
Found something today that was really strange. Was talking to one of the guys at our site and didn't realise that you don't necessarily know what it is you're shipping. Is it normal?

Soldato
OP
Found something today that was really strange. Was talking to one of the guys at our site and didn't realise that you don't necessarily know what it is you're shipping. Is it normal?

A driver should have at least an idea what it is they are carrying otherwise how can they know it's being carried safely.

Caporegime
A driver should have at least an idea what it is they are carrying otherwise how can they know it's being carried safely.

That was kind of my thinking. I mean don't get me wrong, the majority of the containers we handle just contain food, drinks and general household products but that can still include cleaners and other chemicals.

Soldato
Our place pay the same for both Class 1 & 2 but the Class 2's really earn it.

EG.. The Rigids have Tail-lifts so... You get drops like the Oggi Oggi Pasty shop in Mansfield.

Now.. There's only 1 way your delivery of two pallets gets up those two flights of stairs !!

Yup.

The women do give you a free pasty and mug of coffee afterwards though so you get to be a super fit Fat barsteward !!

Oh.. We mainly deliver to the smaller businesses so they are always glad to see you.. And they give you LOTS of freebies (Catering size cakes... Bacon etc)

Last edited:
Soldato
lol

Looks like our Luton depot will be getting what looks like Bin Lorries to go into the Capital !!

https://newsroom.nagel-group.com/ru...Su80QD9SW9pTSm_rRp1cclLdIpcBowmKzOrLzRDMGEqL4

Looks like it's not translating into English :(

Copy & Paste from translation

Quieter, more flexible, lower emissions - the demands on logistics in major cities are increasing. To meet these challenges, Nagel Langdons is testing a modern multitemp vehicle in the British capital.

"There are many ways to make clean air, less carbon dioxide, more safety for cyclists and pedestrians, and a quieter environment in major European cities," said Arran Osman, Managing Director of Nagel Langdons. "We want to make our contribution to supplying our customers."

Against this background, the British subsidiary of the Nagel-Group is first testing the Urban Logistics Safety Vehicle of Terberg DTS UK. For several days in April, the food logistics company will undergo an intensive practical test of the multitemp vehicle.

The public transport vehicle has been specially designed for city logistics and has, for example, a walk-in driver's cab. This gives riders the choice of which side to safely disembark. For unloading in urban areas, the vehicle offers side and tailgates with lifting platforms, which enable a more flexible delivery according to local conditions. The cooling unit is designed to produce less emissions and noise.

"It's also about making London a safer place. That's why we're also interested in the multiple safety aspects the vehicle offers, "said Tyrone Lanaway, Engineering Manager at Nagel Langdons. The windows of the cab are designed to be larger than comparable vehicles and thus offers the driver extensive visibility. Additional sensors warn when people or objects are near the vehicle. This should make maneuvering in crowded areas safer. The 18-tonne exterior has extra lighting and turn signals so other road users can see the driver's intentions even better.

The Urban Logistics Safety Vehicle should also be well prepared for emergencies. Other safety features include an emergency button in the cab, a remote shutdown function and the use of geofancing, which automatically reduces the speed of the vehicle.

"We send around 30 vehicles a day to the capital to deliver groceries to our customers in the UK and Europe. It is our goal to be one step ahead of the law in order to ensure effective care in the future, "says Arran Osman.

Geofencing the vehicles speed limit.. I guess they only have to worry about Red light jumping & Cyclists now ?

Caporegime
Having driven (ok, moved in a yard) an unregistered bin wagon of that design, whilst it looks naff, the visibility is remarkably good, perfect for city deliveries, I can see these becoming more of a thing.

Back
Top Bottom