Cyclists - how far do you commute to work?

Soldato
5 miles each way.. Large sections off road

In the summer I use an MTB but in the winter / windy I use my e-bike.

I'm 58 next month and headwind etc really pulls it out of me now. Because I'm night shift I have to "overdress" because it's bloody cold still at 03:00. When I cycle (like last night the ebike packed up mid journey and I had to pedal that damned heavy thing) when I get to work I'm nearly passing out through heat exhaustion, if I keep that up I'll have a heart attack !

Ph.. After arriving at working sweating buckets and knackered I leant down to turn the back light off only to discover the battery power lead had fallen out !

Doh !

Soldato
Just over 4 miles in with <100 feet of climbing, on the way home approx 5.5-6 miles, with approx 350-600 feet of climbing on the mountain/hybrid.

It helps I work anti-social hours, setting off at ~0600/0630, so the direct roads aren't too bad. The route home avoids those busy hostile roads early to mid afternoon, plus when I have the energy, it gives me an excuse to do some short interval workouts up the inclines.

Soldato
When i worked in the city, back when i was living in Suburbia London, i cycled 11miles there and 11miles back. Sometimes the missus would cycle up and meet me if it was a Fri, and we'd hit all the pubs on the Thames and cycle back a little tipsy. I enjoyed cycling through all the traffic and zipping through reds and what not.. It was literally only 15mins slower than going on a scooter / motorcycle, cos of all the stopping on reds. I did see a female cyclist get knocked off right in front on me past Clapham common by a white van driver who was a fat arrogant ******. You knew from witnessing the whole thing what his attitude towards cyclists was, and he literally split her top lip in two as she slammed into the side.. I was asked if i'd go to court, but i was literally leaving for the US never to return, so could only give a statement. I think i only had one crash in all the few yrs of doing it.. To much front brake on some wet leaves and down i went..

Soldato
Just over 4 miles in with <100 feet of climbing, on the way home approx 5.5-6 miles, with approx 350-600 feet of climbing on the mountain/hybrid.

It helps I work anti-social hours, setting off at ~0600/0630, so the direct roads aren't too bad. The route home avoids those busy hostile roads early to mid afternoon, plus when I have the energy, it gives me an excuse to do some short interval workouts up the inclines.
My new job will be 2 main shifts: 7am to 3:30pm and 11:30am to 8pm. I'm going to enjoy leaving home at 9:30-10:00am for the late shift and taking the long way to work, then having a nice dusk/night ride on the way home :D

And also getting home at 4pm and being able to go out for an hour or 2 in the afternoon/evening and in daylight even in autumn/spring. I'm not expecting to be able to make many 7am starts by cycling though :rolleyes::p I'd have to be out the door at 6am latest which just isn't going to happen! :D

A2Z

A2Z

Soldato
1.5 miles each way, takes about 7 minutes. Saves me waiting for the bus. I also do shifts so sometimes start at 6.30am and when nights finish 6.30am so it's always nice to be able to get straight home. Only issue is when its raining, then have to get the bus

Associate
Two miles each way semi urban. I only do it for a couple of days a week as it's barely a warm up and I'm there, plus bristol traffic is pretty mental. Used to do 7 miles each way on a tow path, that was fantastic.

Permabanned
Did 6 miles each way come rain or shine after I lost my license for over a year. Not having a car made it easier as I couldn’t wimp out. The first few minutes you think ‘I must be mad’ when freezing rain is battering your face, but soon get in the flow. I was at my most healthy/fittest at this time, highly enjoyed that.

Did 15 miles each way into central London. Not particularly fun, a bit too far and only during decent weather. Never looked forward to that one.

Soldato
I ride every day 7.5 miles each way roughly. 25km a day. I have been doing it for the past 12 years, have never been hit by a car although it has been close a few times. Once you start doing it you wonder why people commute by car, it is cheap, reliable, keeps you healthy (biggest cause of death in the world is cardiovascular disease, ie inactivity) and it is clean, and friendly (most of the time), it is also incredibly efficient.

I'm looking into getting a bike and cycling into work - It'll be around 10 miles each way.

Want to do it for fitness rather than anything else - If I could teleport to work I would :p

When was the last time you rode a bike? I say this because learning to ride a bike in busy traffic is almost a craft that takes its time, where do you live? Do you have any offroad routes or decent cycle ways you can use?

Soldato
Once you start doing it you wonder why people commute by car

For the same reason people eat crap food all the time. They have no consideration for their own health.
We have about 5 people in the office who live within 2 miles from work (some are less than a mile), yet they drive everyday. Even in Summer!

Plus many people can't shower/change when they get to work I imagine too.

Soldato
When was the last time you rode a bike? I say this because learning to ride a bike in busy traffic is almost a craft that takes its time, where do you live? Do you have any offroad routes or decent cycle ways you can use?

It has been a while admittedly - I rode a bike to work every day (But that was barely a mile away at the time :p) and was pretty heavy into mountain biking about 3 years ago, but haven't rode one since (apart from one little road biking experience in Barcelona last year :p).

However, the route I would take to work is relatively straight forward, and mostly on a bike trail, which should be good :)

Soldato
For the same reason people eat crap food all the time. They have no consideration for their own health.
We have about 5 people in the office who live within 2 miles from work (some are less than a mile), yet they drive everyday. Even in Summer!

Plus many people can't shower/change when they get to work I imagine too.

True, but you don't have to shower/change! I mean the 2 mile people at least! I cycle all weathers, it might seem weird but the days with the worst weather are usually the best ones to commute by bike, you got to take it carefully etc, but because the standard of driving is so poor you are likely to take a lot less to go to work/back home if you cycle instead of drive.

One of the best things about cycling is when you walk into the 'bad traffic' conversations at work. Most don't get it. Bless them.

It has been a while admittedly - I rode a bike to work every day (But that was barely a mile away at the time :p) and was pretty heavy into mountain biking about 3 years ago, but haven't rode one since (apart from one little road biking experience in Barcelona last year :p).

However, the route I would take to work is relatively straight forward, and mostly on a bike trail, which should be good :)

Sounds nice and easy, it is the right time to start (days getting brighter, less rain, etc) so hopefully by the time winter comes you will be fully ready for it.

Man of Honour

I was 55 when I bought my first bike since I was 16 :)
I had my first major incident after 2 months with a dislocated shoulder and after 6 months I was ready to stop because of idiot motorists.
It was only when a friend suggested an alternate route that contained less motorists that I carried on.
Even over the last five years I keep changing parts of that route because of motorists eg I may go onto a pavement at this point etc and the area around the BET365 Stadium I must have had 50 alternatives where to cycle and now settled on a new route this last 3 months.

Soldato
True, but you don't have to shower/change!

Agreed, but it depends on the ride. I don't shower or change as I cycle in my work clothes. My route is a mostly flat 3 miles and I ride pretty slowly when commuting (still only takes 15 minutes to get to work). I'd break more of a sweat if I walked it!

Associate
Agreed, but it depends on the ride. I don't shower or change as I cycle in my work clothes. My route is a mostly flat 3 miles and I ride pretty slowly when commuting (still only takes 15 minutes to get to work). I'd break more of a sweat if I walked it!

I'm lucky, whilst I sweat I don't have smelly sweat. Even after 6.5miles of relatively quick cycling and building up sweat I just wipe down the sweaty areas with tissue, work clothes on and shower in a can (deodorant). I do appreciate this method won't suit all.

Permabanned
I started 9 miles each way 3 months ago. OP I kid you not, your legs will feel like hell for two weeks, and your bum will be even worse :p I did find the first week to be a bit painful to be honest.

Soldato
About 1 mile each way but I wish it was longer; having to cycle every day is incredible for your fitness and after 6 months you'll be powering up hills that you had to hop off on at the start.

Back
Top Bottom