Drinking too much

Soldato
OP
you need to want to stop in order to actually stop. your posting history tells me you're making excuses and justifying your drinking. really not good signs. coming on here and posting you're going to stop is fooling no one, least of all yourself. you need to get proper help fella.
if you think turning to alcohol is the way to deal with what you perceive to be a **** life then you are in for a hell of a big shock. you only think your life is **** now. you keep drinking the way you are and what you'll get to see what a **** life is really like - and that's if you're lucky.

I agree

Man of Honour
No, no.

The beer is for social drinking, the whiskey is not for sharing. :D

The drinking at home is the main issue to look out for.

A bottle of whiskey a week is not excessive imo, but the cycle/dependancy is the thing to look out for.

Could you go a week without the whiskey ?

Yes - Then fine
No - you have an issue

Not getting at you, i am an alcoholic, that condition never goes away even if you stop drinking.

Just look for the warning signs of dependency.

Man of Honour
are you talking to someone, getting help?

From experience, talking to someone else is a waste of time.

YOU have to realise the issue, not someone else.

I talked to numerous councillors during my 'career ' an an alkie, none did any good because alcohol overides sensible advice.

Only YOU can reach the stage when enough is enough, not someone else.

Alcohol turns good advice, bad
Alcohol will control you
Alcohol will justify everything to continue.

Soldato
From experience, talking to someone else is a waste of time.

YOU have to realise the issue, not someone else.

I talked to numerous councillors during my 'career ' an an alkie, none did any good because alcohol overides sensible advice.

Only YOU can reach the stage when enough is enough, not someone else.

Alcohol turns good advice, bad
Alcohol will control you
Alcohol will justify everything to continue.
from experience, you do need someone to talk to - once you have accepted and realised that there is a problem then you need support and help.

Man of Honour
from experience, you do need someone to talk to - once you have accepted and realised that there is a problem then you need support and help.

The key point being " once you have accepted and realised"

That is the hardest part, and until you accept that, talking to someone else is a waste of time.

Alcohol will overide rational advice

Soldato
The key point being " once you have accepted and realised"

That is the hardest part, and until you accept that, talking to someone else is a waste of time.

Alcohol will overide rational advice
i'm not arguing that point. i'm in agreement with you. but, the op has claimed that he realises there's a problem. so i'm asking him if he's talking to someone, or seeking help.

Man of Honour
indeed, I didn't intend to give that impression.
i'm not arguing that point. i'm in agreement with you. but, the op has claimed that he realises there's a problem. so i'm asking him if he's talking to someone, or seeking help.

I apologise to both if i didn't read the posts correctly, you are both posting decent advice and trying to help.

As someone who has basically "wasted" 25 years of his life to alcohol, i am quite passionate in not letting it happen to someone else.

Soldato
I apologise to both if i didn't read the posts correctly, you are both posting decent advice and trying to help.

As someone who has basically "wasted" 25 years of his life to alcohol, i am quite passionate in not letting it happen to someone else.
no need to apologise. it's very easy to pass on or pick up the wrong vibe from forum posts. i also feel very passionate about helping where help can be offered. while i was lucky to have spotted that alcohol was more in control of me than i was of it early i now realise that over the years when i was a 'normal' drinker i probably overdid it and wasted more years than necessary. it's funny that alcohol is demonstrably so damaging to both individuals and society in general and yet it has become socially acceptable. quite bizarre to honest - but sobriety and hindsight are a great thing

Soldato
OP
I popped into Tesco earlier and i was standing by the wine wondering / wanting to buy a bottle! It was hard as i really felt like a drink after work!

I didnt buy one though! Hope i am strong enough to stay away from it.

Soldato
I always seem to drink on a Friday and Saturday night in the house, or just one of those if I'm out out. Sometimes have a one on a Thursday if work is particularly tiring, but nothing stupid anymore. I've found spending more on the drink (e.g. Grey Goose/Chase instead of Absolut) means I'm a lot slower and actually savour what I have and stops me from being excessive.

Associate
for the last nine years have been weekend binge drinking a lot of it at home save the occasional night out, looks like it may be catching up with me raised liver enzymes and iron have too go for a hospital scan later this month too see if there is anything nasty going on, it's not good for the mental health either. time too pack it in.

even 15 - 20 units per week is frowned upon by the nurse at my gps surgery

Permabanned
I popped into Tesco earlier and i was standing by the wine wondering / wanting to buy a bottle! It was hard as i really felt like a drink after work!

I didnt buy one though! Hope i am strong enough to stay away from it.

All the drinks are generally down their own aisle. Just avoid this completely and ponder over which loo roll to buy instead.

Don

hmm, I kind of find myself in the opposite camp, I've been basically drunk since I was old enough to get away it, I've had a great life more or less and would do 99% of it all over again.

Don't let drink worry unless; it starts to land you in trouble with the law or family/firends or ends up causing you repeated physical harm. If none of those are applicable, just enjoy your life, if you need alcohol to do it, or it helps, embrace it. Long time dead.

^^ not medical advice *maybe be drunk*

Permabanned
we drink a bottle a night .. but we work 45-50 hrs a week .. kids moved out and really nothing to do so it's boredom..
we know it's a problem but besides the dogs what else do we have ?
pc's yeah but that keeps us in .. and it's in when we drink .. don't drink out of the house .. ?

Back
Top Bottom