Possible to get bank to stop sending letters?

Associate
I've been on the website and opted out of postal communication and statements, yet they still feel the need to send me a monthly statement of any interest or charges etc and I've told them I can quite happily see this info online, they've told me that it's their duty as a responsible bank to inform me of this information even though my other accounts with other banks don't do this.

Is there any way I can get them to stop sending me post?

It's an M&S account if it makes any difference

I have the same query as the OP except that I'm not a customer. It's Barclay's / Barclaycard and they keep sending me junk mail to sign up. They're absolutely gagging for it... like once a week I get their letter. Any idea how to stop this?

Soldato
Is there not an option to only receive emails or have all notifications go to your bank account inbox? Natwest offer that, I'm not sure about other banks.

Caporegime
There are some documents which are required by law to be delivered via mail. Statements and other gubbins should be able to be turned off via internet banking or in branch.

Last edited:
Soldato
If it's a credit card, i believe they legally have to send a printed statement. My online banking prompts me to go paperless almost every time I log in (Nationwide)

G J

G J

Associate
I have the same query as the OP except that I'm not a customer. It's Barclay's / Barclaycard and they keep sending me junk mail to sign up. They're absolutely gagging for it... like once a week I get their letter. Any idea how to stop this?

I had this also as a family member had an account with them and I rang them to ask them to cease all communication and stop sending me junk mail and the customer service person told me that I had to write a letter to them detailing that I wanted to opt out of it.

I told them that tell me where and when I gave permission to them to send me mail and again to be removed off their mailing list and I got the standard we cant give out that information (bs excuse) and I responded to them why would I ever want an account with you and why should I take time to write a letter and post it to you.

The letter's where once and sometimes twice a week for 6+ months then all the sudden it stopped and I figured a lot of people must have complained or Barclay finally got the message.

Soldato
It might be worth letting one or two companies continue posting.

I recently applied for a government job and they wanted a bank or credit card letter less than 3 months old, among other evidence. They would accept a council tax bill, but too old. Water bill was too old, everything else was paperless but luckily my credit card company insisted on sending out a monthly statement.

Soldato
I
I told them that tell me where and when I gave permission to them to send me mail and again to be removed off their mailing list and I got the standard we cant give out that information (bs excuse)

Under the Data Protection Act 2018 they have to be able to provide evidence of the consent - how you gave it, when you gave it and what you consented to.

Soldato

Stop paying your mortgage/loans/credit cards. Trash your credit rating.

Soldato
It might be worth letting one or two companies continue posting.

I recently applied for a government job and they wanted a bank or credit card letter less than 3 months old, among other evidence. They would accept a council tax bill, but too old. Water bill was too old, everything else was paperless but luckily my credit card company insisted on sending out a monthly statement.

Every time I've had to do that, I've just either emailed them the PDF I've downloaded from the website, or printed out a copy for them.

Back
Top Bottom