Is this a potential scam? (private sale on Gumtree)

Associate
Paypal don't accept proof of postage as proof of delivery, plus you'd be assuming that the courier the buyer sent to collect the guitar was a legitimate courier and not just a mate of his/her on a motorbike.

Man of Honour
This. If you're selling on Gumtree, then unless they're offering you 10% of the asking price or a swap for 3 used 9v batteries, a box of VHS tapes of 90s TV game shows, and a size 18 wedding dress, then it's clearly a scam :/

Not necessarily, this evening a bloke is bringing me a Line 6 Firehawk FX for £115 in a Gator case and I didn't have the heart to get it cheaper.
As long as it's working he doesn't know I'm going to put £10 on for delivering it to me.

Soldato

The paypal element is what makes this scream scam.

I just brought a set of winter wheels and tyres for my wifes car, and I had them collected by a courier, but I paid via bank transfer. There is a huge trust element and myself and seller went back and forth in emails at least 30-40 in total just to hash out all the details, confirm courier collection, final price, and an agreed payment timing window.

I paid for the courier, and the seller agreed for them to be collected, and I then made payment as soon as they had been.

Paypal - never, no protection for the seller at all.

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm selling my guitar on Gumtree (I won't post the link as this isn't an ad)

Just been contacted with this (after an initial email to ask if it's for sale)

Now to me there are a number of red flags.....BUT if I send my paypal address and the money is recieved, then quids in yes?

The only thing I'm worried about is her saying she's never received it, and demands her money back.
So would the courier she's arranging provide me proof of collection? Can I demand that somehow?

Thoughts?

ABSOLUTELY NOT!

You do realise how this scam works? they tried it on me funnily enough when I sold my old guitar. They will send you money from a potentially stolen/compromised paypal account or stolen credit card. You will then send said guitar thinking they've paid me and all of sudden find the funds missing from your account after a charge back a day or two later.

Seriously, people shouldn't even be asking this question.....

GUMTREE IS ONLY CASH ON COLLECTION!!! no excuses.

Edit: It actually makes me furious to even have to explain this to people.... this type of scam is such common knowledge at this point.

Just don't OP.....

Soldato
The PayPal account used by the Nigerians isn’t stolen or hacked. For example, if your selling a computer for £1000, they send a fake email from PayPal with funds for £1500. £500 is for the fake delivery company and they ask you to send that to one of those online credit cards etc. If you don’t pay they threaten legal action and the police with another fake email from PayPal.

If you question why the PayPal funds aren’t showing in your account, they advise you to contact a fake PayPal email address used by the scammer. They say the funds are on hold until you pay the courier fee.

That’s where the fun begins.

Back
Top Bottom