Fishing - Anybody doing any ?

Man of Honour
Pay review came this week in after a hellish year; add to that it was on offer for £116.. (~£150-180 originally) bought a rod that I wanted for years - Diawa Saltist Braid Special 12/20lb.
It will have a similar build to my little jigging rod - braid only and slim, but will bend well for braid unlike the ug stick.

You must have more rods n reels than the local tackle shop by now :p

Soldato
You must have more rods n reels than the local tackle shop by now :p

Hehe, nope :p I'm concentrating on boat fishing with the shore rods getting used for trips with the father in law.

Just got one of those mini seat boxes so it's a bit more waterproof than the bags I've been using (salt+zippers doesn't end well either). The additional benefit is that it provides some boat seating too. I can fit all I need for the majority of boat fish into it, leaving the bag for the light lure fishing.

Soldato
The new rod arrived this morning. 12-20 IGFA.

Compared to my 20lb ugstick which is glass fibre; the new rod is
* lighter and longer
* stiffer tip but bends longer down the
* bend tightens but continues to bend down into the handle
* titchy ring eyes

The old ug stick bent at the tip then became heavy power in from the middle to butt so when you hooked up the rod digitally goes from soaking up a dive to full power. The new rod bends though as the braid will not act as a shock absorber. Much more gradual.

Soldato
GGGGGaaaaawwwdddd DDAAMM. Our preciously wind-cancelled trip was meant to be going ahead on Sunday (with two new rods to play with) and it's looking highly likely it will be cancelled due to gale force winds again.

However we have just booked a house right next to the beach (private access) so the shore rods are going to get dusted off and used before I get to use the new boat rods!

Man of Honour
GGGGGaaaaawwwdddd DDAAMM. Our preciously wind-cancelled trip was meant to be going ahead on Sunday (with two new rods to play with) and it's looking highly likely it will be cancelled due to gale force winds again.

However we have just booked a house right next to the beach (private access) so the shore rods are going to get dusted off and used before I get to use the new boat rods!

looking at the weather/wind forcast for the week ahead i think it'l be a while untill any boats get out there again

Man of Honour
Yup I may book another boat trip as well soon - just don't want the rescheduled boat trip (with mates) to be collide!

you're welcome to pop over to mine in the spring/summer for some Smooth Hound off the beach here, looking out my window its looking a bit rough out there today though lol,
i think its a 3hr+ drive each way from yours though :o

Soldato
you're welcome to pop over to mine in the spring/summer for some Smooth Hound off the beach here, looking out my window its looking a bit rough out there today though lol,
i think its a 3hr+ drive each way from yours though :o

Lol yup - I think I have done more shore fishing than boat fishing in the last year .. even when I've been focused on getting out boating :/

I haz 4090!
Don
Looking forward to getting back to it this year. I'm a fair-weather fisher! I'm moving house in a fortnight, and there's a decent lake five minutes walk away, can't wait.

Associate
Not done any coarse fishing for years! have shed loads inc carp type gear.
more into Sea fishing these days but still keeping my Greys X flite barbel rod and daiwa 1.1/4 Avon whisker rod and 5" Brian james Aerial match type center pin and Shimano 5000 GTE baitrunner etc as great for margin fishing.

Meant to be getting a pair of Century T800's? then be selling my imax match pluses(great rods esp for price.)Was looking at Zziplex trinitys? they have shooved price of rods up lately!
Not done much boat fishing for a long while but do like my MTI 20/40 braid rod team with either Shimmy TLD5 or Penn torque 100 also have Daiwa CWU 4/10 and Shimmy twinpower 4/10 uptiders.
Have a few conti rods ones like a Carp rod on steriods! mind many ended up in France for carp fishing the big lakes! IM8 casting stick but done me proud had many big sole onit (2lb odd) and first cast a 12lb bass!

Fished chesil a lot last year.

Permabanned
Won't be long and I will be out myself, been walking over some local lakes near me and there's been Bream, Tench and Carp and Skimmers coming out so far. Water is still cold though and they not feeding like they supposed to be.

I need to buy myself a new luggage set and a new tackle box as the ones I have are a little worse for wear now.

The maggots/pinkes we get in my area in Durham varies from about £2.99 > £4.00 a pint.

Last edited:
Soldato
The koi in my pond are starting to feed - not ravenous but will take food once a day (and will start looking for it if you don't feed them). So agreed - slow on the food atm.

Associate
I have been feeding my koi once a day since mid March.
Just uppd them to twice a day, smaller amounts.
Eating well and they are starting to search for it as well.....so not long now until the course season will improve :)

Soldato
4 bass all over legal minimum. 1 on the Unabomber 450 and 3 on the Superfast 420.

UB is overkill for bass, the SF is good (the thin tip really is sensitive).

Back
Top Bottom