Images of items I have purchased (except trainers)

Caporegime
But i enjoy buying vinyl and the element of collecting vinyl more than i do cd's. I also want to be able to listen to it.

As a sign of getting old, I am with you on this one. There's something very satisfying about placing a record on a player and putting the needle down. I feel a lot of the magic of physical media is lost. Remember the good ol'days of arguing about which film to watch at the video store.

Caporegime
As a sign of getting old, I am with you on this one. There's something very satisfying about placing a record on a player and putting the needle down. I feel a lot of the magic of physical media is lost. Remember the good ol'days of arguing about which film to watch at the video store.
Remember the good ol’days of getting back from the video store, settling down to watch your movie, and finding out you’ve got the overwatched, ruined copy :mad:

Man of Honour
new desk, leather desk mat & floor mat:
7LDNSnJ.jpg

Dual QI charging station (with USB A & C output) a braded USB C - Micro cable & a QI case for my Airpods:
2S2JHJ4.jpg

Just waiting for the filing cabinet to get rid of all the paperwork on the floor to the left.

Soldato
Two Empathy Test albums

123.jpg

Soldato
Remember the good ol’days of getting back from the video store, settling down to watch your movie, and finding out you’ve got the overwatched, ruined copy :mad:
Or having to rewind the tape all the way back because the last person didn't :mad:

I miss the smell of Blockbuster. I wonder if that was the tapes degrading or just the musk of the clientele...

Don
Few new things in this shot

Google fast charging thingy for my pixel 3 xl
Some cost effective XLR boom mic thing to further my singing career :p
The initial phase of some foam sound deadening to aid aforementioned singing career (also it keeps the neighbours happy, not that it does much)
Predator X34p monitor to replace the samsung above which developed an annoying pink line on it
Steelseries arctis 7 wireless headphones for leet gaming stuff

oh yeah and I had to move my office into a broom cupboard to appease my other neighbours.... so my claustrophobia is off the charts :p

3tvfwjx.png

Tea Drinker
Don
Few new things in this shot

Google fast charging thingy for my pixel 3 xl
Some cost effective XLR boom mic thing to further my singing career :p
The initial phase of some foam sound deadening to aid aforementioned singing career (also it keeps the neighbours happy, not that it does much)
Predator X34p monitor to replace the samsung above which developed an annoying pink line on it
Steelseries arctis 7 wireless headphones for leet gaming stuff

oh yeah and I had to move my office into a broom cupboard to appease my other neighbours.... so my claustrophobia is off the charts :p

Not even room for a box of kleenex

Caporegime
The point of vinyl is the pure analogue experience from start to finish.

It's not about bandwidth, the second you mention bandwidth you went into digital...which defeats the purpose of a vinyl. You might as well play high bitrate SACDs and say it can handle higher frequencies than your ears can hear.

For me anyway.

That sounds like nonsense - I doubt very much you'd be able to tell the difference between a "purely analogue" experience when playing vinyl and someone playing some vinyl and having the signal transmitted over APTx.

Caporegime
That sounds like nonsense - I doubt very much you'd be able to tell the difference between a "purely analogue" experience when playing vinyl and someone playing some vinyl and having the signal transmitted over APTx.

It’s not about what you can tell, it’s about the whole experience from start to finish.

It’s a bit like can you tell you can going 100mph in an electric car or a petrol powered car from just looking out the window.

Vinyl these days has gone way beyond the means of listening to music, if that is your goal then just stick to high bit rate audio files. If you are going the effort however going analogue, then you might as well go all the way. The moment you introduce a DAC into it, it defeats the entire analogue purpose.

This of course is the perspective of an audiophile. Take it with a grain of salt if you want but even in science, the wave of an analogue sound is smooth whereas digital is “stepped” so it does have its merits. Whether you can tell, that’s another matter and also depends how good your hearing is.

Caporegime
It’s not about what you can tell, it’s about the whole experience from start to finish.

If you can't tell the difference then what experience are you referring to?

I mean this is like the magic cable argument - people spend thousands on magical cables yet there isn't really any difference between them and a decent ordinary copper cable (unless the magic expensive ones are actually really bad). The only experience is some imagined pseudoscience one.

Whether you can tell, that’s another matter and also depends how good your hearing is.

Not really, we're all human and there are limits to our hearing, the golden ears arguments put forth by audiophiles don't tend to fare too well in double blind testing.

There are plenty of reasons to buy vinyl such as preferring the recordings (the loudness issue) or just liking vinyl, enjoying browsing record stores etc.. having a DAC involved, if it doesn't make any discernible difference to the sound, is of no consequence.

Ironically plenty of vinyl is mastered from a CD or digital master these days anyway and the sound has passed through numerous DACs in the recording studio too.

Last edited:
Soldato
This of course is the perspective of an audiophile. Take it with a grain of salt if you want but even in science, the wave of an analogue sound is smooth whereas digital is “stepped” so it does have its merits. Whether you can tell, that’s another matter and also depends how good your hearing is.
I agree with all of your message but a lot of the details aren't too accurate. The output of an actual piece of DAC hardware (rather than a DAC chip in and of itself) is smooth. Monty at xiph.org did a couple of good videos if you're into the mathsy details. Also covers why extended frequency via high sample rates can actually degrade sound quality.

I massively agree about the context and overall experience though. A lot of the reason for an analogue signal chain is for interaction/relationships between certain pieces of hardware.

Caporegime
If you can't tell the difference then what experience are you referring to?

I mean this is like the magic cable argument - people spend thousands on magical cables yet there isn't really any difference between them and a decent ordinary copper cable (unless the magic expensive ones are actually really bad). The only experience is some imagined pseudoscience one.

Not really, we're all human and there are limits to our hearing, the golden ears arguments put forth by audiophiles don't tend to fare too well in double blind testing.

There are plenty of reasons to buy vinyl such as preferring the recordings (the loudness issue) or just liking vinyl, enjoying browsing record stores etc.. having a DAC involved, if it doesn't make any discernible difference to the sound, is of no consequence.

Ironically plenty of vinyl is mastered from a CD or digital master these days anyway and the sound has passed through numerous DACs in the recording studio too.

Like I said, it’s about the whole experience and the whole experience isn’t just about the sound quality, it goes down to knowing there is no conversion happening at all from start to finish.

That’s what vinyl is these days, it’s like shooting film, it’s like wanting to drive a petrol car, it’s like playing guitar through a valve amp. It’s the analogue experience, all of it. Start to finish. Adding Bluetooth in the middle of it, it’s like wanting

For me anyway (I have to add this sentence even though I said it once already)

Back
Top Bottom