MX5 Owners in here....bring your curling tongs

Caporegime
Well, I'm getting another 5!! This will be my 4th over the years, bloody love them :D

Well sorted and maintained, along with a Supercharger ;) Pick her up in a couple of weeks, can't wait :)

Soldato
Took a 184 RF for a test drive today and was impressed. Nice little car. FOund my left leg was too close to the steering wheel using the clutch but resolved at the end of the test drive by setting the telescopic steering wheel closer to me. Should have done this at the beginning!
Bit undecided at the moment. No movement at all on the 30th AE pricing and a bit unsure of the orange. I started thinking curling tongs with a fake tan :). Car will be parked outside for the time being so having the RF/Soft Top internal argument. Really wouldn't mind a softy to save the 50 or so KG in weight.
My favorite colour, soul red, they can get in by March if I don't want the safety pack. THis would be soft top, but didn check on RF availability. With the safety pack added it'd be a factory order so I think around August. Bit confused as the version I mentioned (GT SPort) apparently only came with the dodgy merlot interior hence the sales person suggested a different versionc and then add the safety pack to make it the same spec. Need to read up on this. Looking on the Mazda website it seesm the sales person got it wrong. Will look at the printouts they gave me later.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Failed its MOT last week, need a new exhaust centre piece and some welding done #justoneofthoseMX5things. In other news my father just bought a MX5 3.5, had a hoon in it today and it goes quite well considering the additional weight. The steering is way too light though.

Soldato
Took a 184 RF for a test drive today and was impressed. Nice little car. FOund my left leg was too close to the steering wheel using the clutch but resolved at the end of the test drive by setting the telescopic steering wheel closer to me. Should have done this at the beginning!
Bit undecided at the moment. No movement at all on the 30th AE pricing and a bit unsure of the orange. I started thinking curling tongs with a fake tan :). Car will be parked outside for the time being so having the RF/Soft Top internal argument. Really wouldn't mind a softy to save the 50 or so KG in weight.
My favorite colour, soul red, they can get in by March if I don't want the safety pack. THis would be soft top, but didn check on RF availability. With the safety pack added it'd be a factory order so I think around August. Bit confused as the version I mentioned (GT SPort) apparently only came with the dodgy merlot interior hence the sales person suggested a different versionc and then add the safety pack to make it the same spec. Need to read up on this. Looking on the Mazda website it seesm the sales person got it wrong. Will look at the printouts they gave me later.

Nothing wrong with softop in winter/outside. They're designed to deal with the weather. Jeez even my MK1 with its 24yo softop was fine.

Associate
My mk2 has a soft top and my mk3 has the power hard top.

The hard top is warmer in winter and much quieter on the motorway.

Soft top never leaked even in the worst of the winter.
If you can feel the extra weight (I couldn't ) and won't be on the motorway a lot soft top is fine.
Also one less thing to go wrong.

Soldato
My mk2 has a soft top and my mk3 has the power hard top.

The hard top is warmer in winter and much quieter on the motorway.

Soft top never leaked even in the worst of the winter.
If you can feel the extra weight (I couldn't ) and won't be on the motorway a lot soft top is fine.
Also one less thing to go wrong.
I could do quite a bit of motorway driving. Sales person seemed confident the soft top of the latest model is only a little more noisey, traffic/road noise rather than wind. THink the car would have heated seats and I think wheel too.
Probably wouldn't notice the weight but in such a light car thinking to keep the weight down. The TF with two of us in it performed nicely. Sounds like from last two posts the soft top will be good in all weathers.
Would need to decide which other car to keep. 2004 1.0 Yaris vs 4WD 2011 BMW X1. Was only offered £5900 for the X1 which was a bit disappointing. Full dealer SH, 2 owners, 54k miles although the wheels could do with a refurb and a scuff on the rear drivers side quarter, touched up by me with a paint stick (not great!).
Will mull it over for a few days.

Soldato

One of the best and most involving Nurburgring videos I have seen in a long time.

This is why the MX5 can be so much fun. A good driver in I believe a stock MX5 showing what driver involvement is all about.

Nice brown trouser moment at 7:45 :eek: having not done many track days I reckon I would have lost it there, well, most definitely a lot sooner if I tried driving like that at the ring, having never driven it before.

Caporegime
My new one hath arrived!!! :D :cool:

s-l1600.jpg

04f2c38d-9f70-4dae-8766-d388c14066c1.jpg

My 4th MX5 over the years, and she's absolutely lovely to drive. Chuffed! :)

Unsure what the original owner was going for with the plate (Rocket?), but I'll just tell people that they left out the N :D

Back
Top Bottom