Bikers Youtube thread

Soldato
And that I do, started watching at work and had to stop myself! Thanks for highlighting this series!
Quite a few people have books on the subject too if you're into reading. Obviously there is The Long way Round / Down but there are lots of others too, Ted Simon has a few and is possibly one of the bigger names when it comes to these things and he's the guy that inspired the likes of Ewan etc. to do round the world trips. I also have some by other people on my shelf too, all really interesting and inspiring stuff.

Associate
Quite a few people have books on the subject too if you're into reading. Obviously there is The Long way Round / Down but there are lots of others too, Ted Simon has a few and is possibly one of the bigger names when it comes to these things and he's the guy that inspired the likes of Ewan etc. to do round the world trips. I also have some by other people on my shelf too, all really interesting and inspiring stuff.

I actually read LWR before I saw the series, it's what got me interested in motorbikes in the first place. Need to get LWD then perhaps some others, recommendations very welcome! MY only fear, is that I will become even more desperate to do the direct course (currently budgeting for doing it and getting a bike late summer).

Soldato
I actually read LWR before I saw the series, it's what got me interested in motorbikes in the first place. Need to get LWD then perhaps some others, recommendations very welcome! MY only fear, is that I will become even more desperate to do the direct course (currently budgeting for doing it and getting a bike late summer).
I'd highly recommend picking up a copy of Ted Simon's Jupiter's Travels for sure, it's a brilliant read and is what has kicked off so many people's adventure drives and rides...he did it in the mid 70s on a Triumph Tiger 100. I'd also recommend Hit The Road Jac! by Jacqui Furneaux, I met her at a local bike show and she is a brilliant lady, her book is great too.
I have LWR and LWD to read, along with Dreaming of Jupiter and Rolling Through The Isles (both by Simon).
I've read The Road Chose Me by Dan Grec but that's about driving a Jeep from Alaska to Argentina, he also has various YouTube videos about his current travels around Africa which is also in a Jeep.

I don't have heaps of books on adventure travels but I know there are plenty of them out there, I happened upon Jacqui and her book at a local show for example and would probably not have found her book were it not for the show (despite it being easily available on Amazon etc.). I'd say if you do want more of the same ilk though then to check Good Reads and google for similar. :)

Associate
Charlie also does Ireland to Sydney too (although it's not strictly a bike trip)...

I have no clue if it's an official channel but even if not, there are now multiple different series on there that include on/both of the guys. Obviously if you're not too big a fan of Charlie or Ewan on their own you'll be a bit disappointed I guess but if you like to see people doing adventure rides, seems ideal to me. :)

Lol I rode that first leg from the motorway services to the Ace cafe with him:)

Last edited:
Soldato
Got to give this guy credit, if this had happened to me ide be shoving my boot up her rear end for being such an utter idiot. :mad:

Mate I imagine she’s in shock. And that must have hurt quite a bit. We’ve all walked onto a road which distracted. And we’ve all been the rider who’s almost run someone over because of it, like when an old dear did exactly that to me although it wasn’t even a crossing. There was no contact but she was in a state and I had to stop to help settle her nerves and make sure she was OK.

Caporegime
Mate I imagine she’s in shock. And that must have hurt quite a bit. We’ve all walked onto a road which distracted. And we’ve all been the rider who’s almost run someone over because of it, like when an old dear did exactly that to me although it wasn’t even a crossing. There was no contact but she was in a state and I had to stop to help settle her nerves and make sure she was OK.

That's exactly what I said in the comments too. Youtube is full of idiots though.

Man of Honour
If you look at it that way then driving off from the scene of an accident is fine because you'll probably be in shock.

BBB looks good, prefer the bangernomics rather than the "cheap for an Italian but not all that cheap" bike.

Caporegime
This is hands down, the best cleaner, I have used in 12 years of riding!

Edit: also love that video's preview picture - never found a cleaner that'll change a silver chain, into a gold and black one :D

Did you watch the vid? He also tests the various products' tendency to eat the seals in sealed-link chains. I suspect paraffin might go through it fairly quickly.

Interesting about kerosine though, never knew that.

Soldato
Did you watch the vid? He also tests the various products' tendency to eat the seals in sealed-link chains. I suspect paraffin might go through it fairly quickly.

Interesting about kerosine though, never knew that.

Not fully. But it's one of these 'things' in biking - you'll probably find 100s of people who have used paraffin without any issues, and 100s of others, who will say they have used it and it has caused nothing but problems.

I think I got turned onto it, from a post in these very forums - did as much research as I could, before deciding to give it a try; and the for certainly outweighed the against. Horses for courses I suppose - I personally use a small paintbrush to apply neat paraffin, and use the same brush to scrub any dirt off - I then rinse the chain with clean water and dry it off; finally applying Wurth chain lube.

Associate
Not fully. But it's one of these 'things' in biking - you'll probably find 100s of people who have used paraffin without any issues, and 100s of others, who will say they have used it and it has caused nothing but problems.

I think I got turned onto it, from a post in these very forums - did as much research as I could, before deciding to give it a try; and the for certainly outweighed the against. Horses for courses I suppose - I personally use a small paintbrush to apply neat paraffin, and use the same brush to scrub any dirt off - I then rinse the chain with clean water and dry it off; finally applying Wurth chain lube.

That's exactly what I use, and have never had to replace a chain myself, but then I haven't kept a bike for longer than about 10k miles...

Back
Top Bottom