Worrying Trend

Soldato
Not half as scary as some you see in the US. You'll see basically Jabba the Hut speeding along on one in the middle of the road, or in malls.

Soldato
Seen a few driving "fast" down the pavement, the driver completely ignorant of people walking. When I say fast, I mean mobility scooter fast of course. The should be limited, what do disabled people have to get to faster than I do?! :p

LEGALLY they shouldn't be doing more than 4mph in pedestrian areas/pavements.

Class 2 mobility scooters can only do 4mph by design.

If they have front and rear lights then it's going to be a class 3. Capable of 8mph. They should be fitted with a limiting switch restricting them to 4mph when not on the road. Class 3 scooters must also be dvla registered and taxed (zero cost band)

I've long said that mobility scooters should have some form of formal training akin to CBT & require 3rd party insurance (currently optional)

Soldato
Was a while ago but fairly certain there wasn't one - or a need for it to be in the outer lane :D

Pretty much guarantee you there won't have been. Again, for me, it goes back to there being no formal training/explanation of the rules of operation for them and/or consequences for misuse. People just think there aren't any, worse is that many get them and think they have priority over every bugger else.

My Dad had one, got it on HP from some local firm (Eden something). They literally just dropped it at the front door, gave him the keys and asked for a signature. No going over the basic controls, no explaining the emergency motor release etc.

Soldato
Bumped into a Hells Angel in our local Morrisons - Cow horn bars -loads of chrome - Leather everywhere - it was really something -made everyone look . :D

Permabanned
You should visit India. Family of 5 on motorcycles is regular...thats the ultimate family transport

Yeah, but you never see a Indian family of 5 porkers do you ? thin as whippets.

A gargantuan female on a scooter, too fat to walk, and her equally large offspring mooching around a supermarket , not an uncommon sight in the UK.

Soldato
Seen a few driving "fast" down the pavement, the driver completely ignorant of people walking. When I say fast, I mean mobility scooter fast of course. The should be limited, what do disabled people have to get to faster than I do?! :p

Most do around 6mph but the bigger ones hit 10mph and they are pretty heavy things, one of those hitting you will hurt, My MIL has one and it's a pain to lift in the car, i had a quick go and 10pmh feels bloody quick and not very stable.

I haven't seen one with 4 people on yet, but i have seen some with a kid on, the worst I'd seen was in Sherborne, the woman was driving hers on the main road at about 5mph I'd guess due to the hill and her size, totally dangerous and she just didn't care.

Back
Top Bottom