Shoes Shoes Shoes

Associate
What do you guys reckon is the best way to know if a shoe fits properly?

I generally find shoes pretty uncomfortable and I'm trying to find the best pair of boots for me. Problem with the Dr Martens mentioned prior was they were a bit short (front of my big toe kept touching the end of the boot).

How much space should their be between the sides of your toes and the boot/shoe?

Soldato
Bought a pair of loakes 1880 today. Black Oxford Aldwych. Really nice understated shoe. The customer service I got was brilliant.

I did see a lovely pair of Barkers in the shop but need to be a bit braver as they are a bit..shall we say, fancy

Last edited:
Associate
I like my Meermin and Carmina shoes, though the Meermins can be a pain (literally) to break in.

They have an outlet store on Ebay which sells seconds, so good bargains can be had.

I've never bought Loakes, but have heard that the shoes sold by Charles Tyrwhitt are rebadged Loakes at a cheaper price, so might be worth looking into. Not sure if it's true or not.

Soldato
I like my Meermin and Carmina shoes, though the Meermins can be a pain (literally) to break in.

They have an outlet store on Ebay which sells seconds, so good bargains can be had.

I've never bought Loakes, but have heard that the shoes sold by Charles Tyrwhitt are rebadged Loakes at a cheaper price, so might be worth looking into. Not sure if it's true or not.

Yeah CT are the cheaper end of Loakes....personally I wouldn't. When you see them in the flesh compared to something from the higher range you can tell just by looking at them let alone when picking them up.
IMHO, cheap loakes are on par with expensive clarks. There is a huge difference between a pair at £130 and £230.

Associate
Any recommendations on shoes for a wedding? Was looking to pair something with a navy suit. Are brogues out of the question? I quite like these and these but was seeing if anything else out there as at these prices it borders on the higher end stuff? I just want something that is comfortable to be wear for the day and allows for some movement on the dance-floor and aren't overly heavy.

Man of Honour
Black oxfords would be the most formal. You could consider a black derby too or even brown depending on how formal the wedding is. But personally I always feel that a pair of good black oxfords is essential with a navy or grey suit.

Definitely not brogues as they would be too informal with a suit.

If you're not too sure the difference between an oxford and a derby then google for examples and look at how the area around the laces is attached to the shoe. Generally the simpler the style, the more formal the shoe, which is why an oxford is very formal and brogues are much less formal.

Last edited:
Associate
Thank you for the tips on the shoes to go with my suit. Not really paid much attention in the past but a new suit calls for new shoes so will research some Oxfords and maybe some Derbys.

Soldato
I just received my shoes from The Hand Dyed Shoe Company in Durham.

I had an hour consultation to design my shoes, discussing colours, embossing, etc and then 4-5 weeks later they get sent out. They're quite beautiful.

IMG-20190305-122726.jpg

IMG-20190305-122815.jpg

IMG-20190305-123045.jpg

IMG-20190305-123336.jpg

IMG-20190305-123424.jpg

IMG-20190305-124750.jpg

Bar

Bar

Soldato
Saphir shoe care which is about the best you can get as well - reminds me I need to get some mirror shine

Soldato
Does anyone have any recommendations at a lower price point? I'll pay £100 for a comfortable pair of shoes I can wear at work, but much over that is really out of my price range. Ecco might fit the bill, but there's nowhere near enough to Stoke-on-Trent that sells them and I don't want to buy shoes without trying them on first.

A coworker has said good things about the Josef Seibel shoes they bought for £80 so I'll be trying some in that range, but I'm open to suggestions.
Siebel are very comfortable in my experience. Got mine from Charles Clinkard, think there's one near you. (Talke Pits?)

Ooops noticed you posted that last year, assume you have some now lol! :p

Last edited:
Caporegime
Black oxfords would be the most formal. You could consider a black derby too or even brown depending on how formal the wedding is. But personally I always feel that a pair of good black oxfords is essential with a navy or grey suit.

Definitely not brogues as they would be too informal with a suit.

If you're not too sure the difference between an oxford and a derby then google for examples and look at how the area around the laces is attached to the shoe. Generally the simpler the style, the more formal the shoe, which is why an oxford is very formal and brogues are much less formal.
This prompted me to do some Googling to edumacate myself.

Now then. Oxfords are closed laces and brogues are perforated shoes.

You can have Oxford Brogues. Oxford half Brogues. Oxford quarter Brogues :p

So "Oxford not Brogues" doesn't help matters :p

Soldato
I've seen him post on LinkedIn quite a bit. They look really nice and you definitely can't complain for the price he charges.

It's more than a pair of shoes in the same way a Michelin Star restaurant is more than the food.

His place is in a really nice old building, sort of professor's study / hipster feel to it.

Spent an hour just chatting over coffee listening to music, my brief was something I could wear with a suit or casual, nothing too flashy but with hints of colour as my trousers move when I walk. I think he got it.

Caporegime
His place is in a really nice old building, sort of professor's study / hipster feel to it.

LOL, it does sound a bit hipster-ish, pretty cool to get it all customised though :)

Does he hand make the shoes himself too or is the shoe manufacturing outsourced and he customises them?

Soldato
It's more than a pair of shoes in the same way a Michelin Star restaurant is more than the food.

Spent an hour just chatting over coffee listening to music, my brief was something I could wear with a suit or casual, nothing too flashy but with hints of colour as my trousers move when I walk. I think he got it.

Next time he is in the South I might drop by one of his open events to have a closer look. Personally I'd rather be in and out quickly!

Soldato
Next time he is in the South I might drop by one of his open events to have a closer look. Personally I'd rather be in and out quickly!

Horses for courses I guess!

LOL, it does sound a bit hipster-ish, pretty cool to get it all customised though :)

Does he hand make the shoes himself too or is the shoe manufacturing outsourced and he customises them?

He designed the shoes himself but gets them made and then he does the dying etc.

He's on Facebook and LinkedIn so you can see his other work, you can go as wild or as conservative as you like.

I love the colour on mine, phone photos taken by me aren't the best advert, but in sunlight they are really quite special the way the colours change as the light catches them.

Back
Top Bottom