**** The Official Sony Xperia™ XZ3 Thread ****

Soldato
OP
Sony new range of phones are a big gamble. The new screen format while good for movies is terrible for everything else, just too tall and narrow. Surfing the web on it will be very restrictive and cramped and others. The phones are going to feel strange in your pocket being so tall.

Just baffles the mind. I seriously see the end of Sony as a phone company soon. Just like their VAIO laptop division. Their TV division was not performing too well either.

Soldato
Ordered a 10 plus. 3mm narrower than my Z5 premium and 1cm longer. Not that bad, certainly isnt going to hanging out my pocket all over the place like people make out, because my Z5 no where near does.

Has a 3.5mm headphone jack, so I'm happy!!!

Soldato
Sony new range of phones are a big gamble. The new screen format while good for movies is terrible for everything else, just too tall and narrow. Surfing the web on it will be very restrictive and cramped and others. The phones are going to feel strange in your pocket being so tall.

Just baffles the mind. I seriously see the end of Sony as a phone company soon. Just like their VAIO laptop division. Their TV division was not performing too well either.
Sony are completely lost. They'll end up like HTC. No one buys a phone for a cinematic experience. How they make this their highlight of the device is mind boggling.

Associate
Sony are completely lost. They'll end up like HTC. No one buys a phone for a cinematic experience. How they make this their highlight of the device is mind boggling.
You'd be surprised at how many people use their phone to watch things on NetFlix now days when doing a long commute to work.

They have to do something different to stand out as when they have "Followed" the crowd they get panned for not being innovative.

Soldato
You'd be surprised at how many people use their phone to watch things on NetFlix now days when doing a long commute to work.

They have to do something different to stand out as when they have "Followed" the crowd they get panned for not being innovative.

Even then, commutes would be series led rather than films IMO. And they're nearly all in 16:9.

Associate
Even then, commutes would be series led rather than films IMO. And they're nearly all in 16:9.
True but it is a growing trend for shows to be shot in 18:9 now but I agree it still isn't as wide as 21:9 and perhaps maybe a bit too soon to be switching to this format.

Either way I look forward to seeing it in the shops to see how it stacks up, FWIW I had a XZ1 which had a "Small" 2700mAH battery for it's specs and that easily lasted two days for me, in fact I actually think it lasts longer than my P20 Pro that replaced it.

Caporegime
Woah just clocked this thread. Narrow and tall is a slim (lol) market segment.
For anyone who doesn't consume much video on their phone surely this is a backwards step?

Soldato
OP
Woah just clocked this thread. Narrow and tall is a slim (lol) market segment.
For anyone who doesn't consume much video on their phone surely this is a backwards step?

Its a huge gamble by sony and I hope for them it pays off. I just feel sony is constantly getting it wrong with their phone division. Back when they were making the XZ phones, everyone kept saying to sony get rid of the borders and make the phone more compact, it was the slow trend to borderless screens. They resisted and they now they have jumped on. With sony they either follow trends too slowly or try to set new trends. Trend setting is risky business, just as SEGA.

then they release a XZ3 last year and it was what i can basically describe as a sumsung CLONE, this is not what the market segment wanted, everyone was screaming for sonys more squarish design but with NO borders.

This year they make a Giraffe phone.:eek:

I would have not risked the whole line up with this new Giraffe design philosophy, but rather just one of the phones to asses the market. Its risky business setting trends if it back fires it could cause Sony phone division to fall and be sold off to some Chinese company.

Caporegime
Its a huge gamble by sony and I hope for them it pays off. I just feel sony is constantly getting it wrong with their phone division. Back when they were making the XZ phones, everyone kept saying to sony get rid of the borders and make the phone more compact, it was the slow trend to borderless screens. They resisted and they now they have jumped on. With sony they either follow trends too slowly or try to set new trends. Trend setting is risky business, just as SEGA.

then they release a XZ3 last year and it was what i can basically describe as a sumsung CLONE, this is not what the market segment wanted, everyone was screaming for sonys more squarish design but with NO borders.

This year they make a Giraffe phone.:eek:

I would have not risked the whole line up with this new Giraffe design philosophy, but rather just one of the phones to asses the market. Its risky business setting trends if it back fires it could cause Sony phone division to fall and be sold off to some Chinese company.

I tried a Sony a few years ago. Z3 or something I found it uncomfortable to Hold. They used to be amazing for camera too apparently. But that ship seems to have sailed.
Do they offer any competition to Samsung anymore?

Soldato
Anyone had any screen burn I was up for getting one but in-store demo unit seemed to have bad screen burn which was quite off putting even though an extreme situation

Soldato
Read something about Sony's alpha division sharing camera tech with Xperia in their upcoming phones... Maybe the cameras will finally live up to their potential?
Agree though phones are already too long and thin... This seems a step too far!

Soldato
It's good for forum reading, and leaving lots of screen space even with the keyboard below
I like it and films look good on it.
Is not much longer than my z5 premium

Associate
Is there a latest compact Xperia? My z5c is on its lasy legs and looking to get something of a similar size.

Two things I hated about this z5c however are

Speakers/volume out is truly horrendously bad/low

Flashlight sucks

But I love this size. Can't imagine using a bigger phone

Soldato
There wasn't a compact version of the XZ3 and I haven't seen anything to suggest that there will be one for the 1 either.

I use an XZ2C and have no idea what to replace it with when the time comes.

Soldato
Is there a latest compact Xperia? My z5c is on its lasy legs and looking to get something of a similar size.

Two things I hated about this z5c however are

Speakers/volume out is truly horrendously bad/low

Flashlight sucks

But I love this size. Can't imagine using a bigger phone
I had to give up on the compacts, as they just weren't available anywhere for a decent price when I needed to change last month.

I've always gone for small Sonys, Xperia U, then Z1c, Z5c. But picked up a xz1 full size as Amazon had them for £200. I've quickly got used to the size, picking up the old Z5c it seems really dinky!

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Got the Xperia 10 Plus here (not my personal phone) and it's pretty decent. Never handled such a long phone before, it may as well be a paddle lol. The 21:9 screen is pretty glorious. I'm rather inclined to get the Xperia 1 now having used this but cannot find any details if the 1 has wireless charging?

20190317_105027.jpg

20190317_104910.jpg

Back
Top Bottom