*** Sky TV Cancellation & Negotiation Thread ***

Caporegime
Thanks, I don't have any earlier emails sadly. It does ring a bell but I thought when I last renegotiated it was all on the same 18 month contract length. This is why it's annoying, it isn't always at the same time so you have to be clever to not get caught out.

I notice there is no live chat at the moment on Sky.com. I hate phonecalls and try to avoid at best of times but going to have to bite the bullet.

You'll likely get an option for messaging via SMS or Facebook messenger when you call.

Soldato
Some what happy and disappointed today.

On 19th Feb - I rang Sky as I have SKY HD - Variety, Fibre, Landline and my monthly bills were creeping up to around the £69 region.

Spoke to someone in retentions. Got it down to £53.50 for the same PLUS a SKY Q Box for £20 installation. Great I thought.

The Sky Engineer turned up today.

Fitted a new dish and LNB

Came into the house and preceded to fit the SKY Q box, whilst speaking to the engineer it became apparent there was a 1TB or 2TB box. I was not aware of this and I have been issued with a 1TB box.

The remote is not touch sensitive as I was informed by the man on retentions - not particularly a big deal. But would have been nice to have seen what 'deal' was out there for the 2TB box and to get the remote he mentioned about.

Then the engineer left after it was all set up, although we did speak to her about Netflix add on (As we pay separately for Netflix) and we changed there and then so we have the UOD package for £10 - or so the engineer told us it was!!

Checked my account on Sky website.

My forecast bills are all wrong. Rang SKY, 1 hour phone call. they could not find the details of the £53.50 the rentions man told me about on my notes.
Nothing about being offered the choice of different boxes!

The lady had to speak to there boss and get some discount applied to my account for the next 18 months.
So now UOD is £12 not £10 as told by the engineer.

My monthly bill for Variety, Fibre Max, Landline, UOD is now £65.50 (minus £10 pm for the first 2 months as apparently Netflix is free for the first 2 months

Bear in mind I have had my old SKY HD box for 8.5-9 years, so classed as a VIP member

Not very happy to be honest, feel like i did not get a great deal and was told a few pork pies to lure me in.

Soldato
Some what happy and disappointed today.

On 19th Feb - I rang Sky as I have SKY HD - Variety, Fibre, Landline and my monthly bills were creeping up to around the £69 region.

Spoke to someone in retentions. Got it down to £53.50 for the same PLUS a SKY Q Box for £20 installation. Great I thought.

The Sky Engineer turned up today.

Fitted a new dish and LNB

Came into the house and preceded to fit the SKY Q box, whilst speaking to the engineer it became apparent there was a 1TB or 2TB box. I was not aware of this and I have been issued with a 1TB box.

The remote is not touch sensitive as I was informed by the man on retentions - not particularly a big deal. But would have been nice to have seen what 'deal' was out there for the 2TB box and to get the remote he mentioned about.

Then the engineer left after it was all set up, although we did speak to her about Netflix add on (As we pay separately for Netflix) and we changed there and then so we have the UOD package for £10 - or so the engineer told us it was!!

Checked my account on Sky website.

My forecast bills are all wrong. Rang SKY, 1 hour phone call. they could not find the details of the £53.50 the rentions man told me about on my notes.
Nothing about being offered the choice of different boxes!

The lady had to speak to there boss and get some discount applied to my account for the next 18 months.
So now UOD is £12 not £10 as told by the engineer.

My monthly bill for Variety, Fibre Max, Landline, UOD is now £65.50 (minus £10 pm for the first 2 months as apparently Netflix is free for the first 2 months

Bear in mind I have had my old SKY HD box for 8.5-9 years, so classed as a VIP member

Not very happy to be honest, feel like i did not get a great deal and was told a few pork pies to lure me in.

Is there not a cooling off period whereby you can pull out? (genuinely don't know but I'd have thought there would be)

Soldato
Cancelled mine yesterday. Been a Sky customer for 9 years but just not really using much these days. Most of my viewing is Netflix, Amazon or YouTube

Currently, have basic Sky Q package and their broadband and its crept up to over £80.

Broadband has gone over to Plusnet, just debating what to do now, Freeview or Freesat. Was all set to go Freeview till I realised that the is no sodding aerial in my loft. House is 2 years old, has 2 sockets but nothing visible in the loft. So its either spend the weekend lifting up all the bloody insulation looking for the wires to hook a new aerial up to or just buy a Freesat box. :mad:

Soldato
Sky billing for the last week has had issues, they were able to apply and remove discounts but the scheduled billing was all messed up. Mine was telling me my next direct debit was going to be £74 instead of £6.67, then they added the £6.67 to April's bill on top of the £49.67 they were going to charge, then resuming back to £29.67 after that. Took a week but now my billing is correct.

Thanks to an issue with their T&C's and a written contract agreed on by both parties I have the standard HD box, Entertainment, Sports, Movies and all HD for £32 a month on an 18 month contract, reduced to £29.67 to take into account next year's price rise on a 18 month contract.

Associate
Been on (legacy) Box Sets for the last 13 months - Sky+ HD box.

I too, noticed web-chat has been removed from the website (cancellations) so I decided to use the mobile txt chat option.

It's slow, but convenient if you're at work. Best they would offer me is:

£17 Entertainment, £1 BoxSets, £1 HD
£20 for 1TB sky Q or £199 for 2TB.

Whichever option I took would include a £10 admin fee.Q

Those are the channels I want - but I've seen others get the same for £15 to £17 all in - with admin fee reimbursed & the 2tb Q Box cheaper.

It's crazy to offer the 1tb for £20 but the 2tb for £199. Makes no sense to me. I'll wait to see if they improve their offer in the cancel pending period.

Caporegime
Been on (legacy) Box Sets for the last 13 months - Sky+ HD box.

I too, noticed web-chat has been removed from the website (cancellations) so I decided to use the mobile txt chat option.

It's slow, but convenient if you're at work. Best they would offer me is:

£17 Entertainment, £1 BoxSets, £1 HD
£20 for 1TB sky Q or £199 for 2TB.

Whichever option I took would include a £10 admin fee.Q

Those are the channels I want - but I've seen others get the same for £15 to £17 all in - with admin fee reimbursed & the 2tb Q Box cheaper.

It's crazy to offer the 1tb for £20 but the 2tb for £199. Makes no sense to me. I'll wait to see if they improve their offer in the cancel pending period.
Chances are if you took a mini box the 2TB would be substantially cheaper.

Soldato
Stupid question, have you looked at your roof? That'd be the usual place for an aerial rather than the loft.

Have you tried plugging the TV into the aerial socket provided?

Haha yes I checked the roof. Spoke to a neighbor that bought from new and apparently it was an extra for them to fit an aerial , crazy I know. The joys of new builds I guess.

I have tested both aerial sock

Soldato
Have just changed my package. Was on Original with Legacy HD which was £36 pm.

Wish I'd looked in here first. Didn't know the HD and Boxsets were so quickly discounted.

Ended up with Entertainment £22, HD £5, Boxsets £5 and F1 £10. I know it's more money but accepted it as there were quite a few channels missing on the original package.

I did ask about Q and would have gone with if they'd accepted my request for 2 mini boxes but wouldn't budge on just the 1.

Associate
I just cancelled Sky Q and in my cancellation period using the www.sky.co/mydeal link I was offered Entertainment for £15, HD £1 and Sports £17. I let it cancel and on live chat today I was offered Entertainment £11, HD £1, Multiroom £13, F1 £10. Everything for 18 months, with F1 for 24 months with £20 admin fee. I'm happy with that for the TV I watch. Just goes to show it's worth letting the cancellation period end and negotiate more.

Soldato
Also for reference, Sky have come to an agreement with BT and will be offering BT Sports straight to Sky customers from January. No word on the price or the specifics yet, but it will all be unified under one bill from now on for people who want BT Sports.

And what happened to this exactly? Or HDR support?

Am at the point of negotiating with Sky again but frankly I'm getting very disillusioned with their service and may well be better going with Virgin!

Caporegime

Am at the point of negotiating with Sky again but frankly I'm getting very disillusioned with their service and may well be better going with Virgin!
HDR (much) later this year. Last I heard about BT Sport was ‘April’ but no idea if that’s still accurate or what the price will be.

Soldato
HDR (much) later this year. Last I heard about BT Sport was ‘April’ but no idea if that’s still accurate or what the price will be.

Exactly my point. Whatever Sky's plans are, there's no news whatsoever coming out to customers.

Sky are being left behind. They may keep lauding their "Ultra HD" content but every other platform has been supporting HDR for years now and even the BBC are trialling it via iPlayer.

I was an early adopter of Q, largely due to an offer from yourself (many thanks). Three years later I'm starting to question it. Without HDR, I prefer watching 4K content via other platform and, although I already pay Sky for their full Sports package, if I want BT Sport in HD on all my boxes, I'll have to fork out another £30+ a month to BT. Virgin are starting to look very tempting right now.

Associate

I don't know anything about HDR support, but for BT Sports the initial plan and agreement was January - BT pushed this back as they decided to keep BT Sports for this season as well, so now it is most likely going to be June or thereabouts, summer in any case, before the start of the new football season. There have not been any news for customers, because nothing is ready to be announced yet, but you can be sure there's things happening in the background. Sky's one of those companies that likes changing things every 2-3 months, even though it does not seem like it if you don't know the company from the inside.

The big news for this month came a couple of days ago with Watch as they call it, with which Sky Mobile customers can stream Sky content from their TV subscription on their mobile phones, without using up their Sky mobile data allowance.

There's also a Sky Go Extra upgrade coming at some point next month, where 5 devices will be supported (currently it's 4) and there will no longer be a 31-day period before you can register a new device on an empty slow again - from now on you'll be able to register and deregister and then register new devices within minutes.

Soldato
Sky seems quite cheap atm everything apart from the sports and movies for £22 on a skyq box on my contract renewal. Not 4K but who cares for that price.

I have the original Q Silver bundle (all channels in HD with box sets) plus two minis and all sports and movies. The full list price for that before any discounts is £94!! And it's going up by a few quid next month!

Associate
I have the original Q Silver bundle (all channels in HD with box sets) plus two minis and all sports and movies. The full list price for that before any discounts is £94!! And it's going up by a few quid next month!

Sky Q Silver is one of the legacy Q packages that were only available for like the first 6-8 months of the Sky Q launch. If you do want to stay with the company they will change everything over to the new subscriptions, which can be discounted.

Soldato
Sky Q Silver is one of the legacy Q packages that were only available for like the first 6-8 months of the Sky Q launch. If you do want to stay with the company they will change everything over to the new subscriptions, which can be discounted.

We'll see what they offer. I'm literally only just within a month of my discount period ending (7/4) so all I've done so far is contact them via the online chat. I'll continue that tomorrow and see what they offer but if I don't get any joy then I guess the next step will be to cancel and wait and see what happens.

Meanwhile I'll talk to Virgin and see what they can do. I'm actually already with both as I have Sky for TV and phone/broadband via Virgin so I'm sure the latter would love to up-sell me onto a nice fat TV package.

I do love the Sky Q system and it does work better for me than Virgin would but there are limits to how much I'll pay for that experience.

Soldato
Can see me phoning up again before it's goes off.

Tried Freeview picture didnt seem as nice or stable as Sky Q. Recording worked better than i thought on my LG TV.

Freesat is a no go with ch4 hd. Plus I'm not keen on the UI of the boxes .

So I'll probably have to go back and see what the best price they can do for basic package with HD. Thought I could get away without it!

Back
Top Bottom