Beast Of Nature | ITX Scratch build in wood!

Associate
Hello,

Its time again for a new build and this time I am going to use my favorite material, wood! After lots of planning I decided it was going to be another ITX build that would still fit at least one 240mm radiator and long graphics cards if thats what I choose to go with.

The plan is to use closed watercooling loops for both CPU and GPU to make future upgrades easier. Ive seen quite a few wood builds over the years but nothing that really felt like me so this will be my version, should also be quite obvious what case I was inspired by
wink.png

Huge thanks to bequiet! and Asrock for helping out with the hardware for this build!

And here are a few 3D renders
zeI7Kre.png

Yv4N2Wr.png

hu1q0TN.png

39xx8JW.png

Soldato
Very nice.

Make the front panel (that the fans are in, shown in white) out of a suitable dark wood (purple heart/bubinga/ebony).
If we're getting geeky about the woods I'm throwing my 2p in - love wenge. Looks totally different flatsawn or quartersawn.

Interested to see how this goes - I made guitars in a former life!

Associate
OP
Very nice.

Make the front panel (that the fans are in, shown in white) out of a suitable dark wood (purple heart/bubinga/ebony).

Front, back and top will be made of aluminum, some darker wood would also work but doesn't really fit the look I am going for :)

If we're getting geeky about the woods I'm throwing my 2p in - love wenge. Looks totally different flatsawn or quartersawn.

Interested to see how this goes - I made guitars in a former life!
The fram will at least be flatsawn but not 100% sure about the handels yet because those are going to be made using thin plywood but thats most likely also flatsawn :)

Associate
OP
That is sexy as hell, I wish I had the knowledge and creative flair to design stuff like this.
This looks interesting.. Subed

Thanks guys.

So this is how I will be bending and making the top and bottom "handles"

I need something to bend the thin sheets around so that was part 1 of the process and that was easily done with some MDF scrap pieces.

U3uyBHt.jpg

Here is the template rounded and covered in tape to avoid the glue from sticking.

TMznPTg.jpg

Here is the material I will be using.

rrcybn0.jpg

I also made a outer part for the template by bending 5mm plywood, that will also help equalize the pressure along the curve.

XZSWSDg.jpg

And now ever thing is ready to be glued together and clamped down, the grain of each sheet is going against each other to get a stronger final product. You can also see the template was made with "shelves" to make clamping easier.

ZQKcnc4.jpg

Here is a better picture of the layers.

C2aH16R.jpg

And I also made a second one the next day.

W8JVMfQ.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Associate
As soon as I saw this I thought G5... This is right up my street.. . I know naff all about woodwork but the color contrast of a light wood and white metal / acrylic finish for the panels is Hella sexy, not personally a fan of dark finishes as it appears to ruin the modern look but I can't wait to see how this goes, subbed

Associate
OP
As soon as I saw this I thought G5... This is right up my street.. . I know naff all about woodwork but the color contrast of a light wood and white metal / acrylic finish for the panels is Hella sexy, not personally a fan of dark finishes as it appears to ruin the modern look but I can't wait to see how this goes, subbed

Yeah I am going for a modern/Nordic design so thats the main reason there is no darker wood in this one :)

Associate
OP
More work on the handles.

29qhB6j.jpg.png

pdZbMq6.jpg

inEfZJE.jpg

zp2mCOP.jpg

I made grooves in the handles using the big router in previous picture.

bl3i8jN.jpg

ManoPSv.jpg

3NxqIXE.jpg

Now just cut both of those in half and I will have my four handels.

IyLUE5e.jpg

rCNemUC.jpg

rCNemUC.jpg

l3zht7g.jpg

And a few pictures without tape.

xFR0ru6.jpg

KLRtVp5.jpg

Soldato
Looking good so far keep it coming.

Little tip for laminating work is to use ratchet straps. they give you more even pressure around the whole item while cutting down on the faff and bulk of cramps.
Only thing you have to note is to make your former longer than the laminates other wise the straps start to put an extra bend where they extend past the former.

Soldato
I love these custom wood builds, they look incredible.

I think it would look great with a wood cover on the front protruding out a couple of centimeters to allow good air flow.

Something like this.

FRnqYYH.png

Associate
OP
I love these custom wood builds, they look incredible.

I think it would look great with a wood cover on the front protruding out a couple of centimeters to allow good air flow.

Something like this.

FRnqYYH.png

Yeah I thought about it but I will probable go with aluminum panels to get a more modern feeling :)

From what Ive seen, I would concider adding mesh to the top.

Yes there will be small air vents on the top panel.

Time to put every thing together for a test fit :D

4riZhQh.jpg

niyBVaJ.jpg

DMkeRER.jpg

2NtDPuo.jpg

eyi3a2b.jpg

29mTnK0.jpg

LkX7GuC.jpg

rguJxKB.jpg

VlkZoWs.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Soldato
Subbed - stunning attention to detail.

I like the stark contrast of natural wood meets industrial aluminium - looking forward to end result - great stuff.

Back
Top Bottom