Metro: Exodus (2018)

Soldato
Played this for about 5 hours and I’m struggling to see how it scored as high as it did. Reasons:

Controls - they’re so incredibly floaty, it’s miles off the likes of Far Cry which nails this aspect. Regardless of the sensitivy setting it just feels like there is a mass of input lag.

Crashes/game issues - had hard locks and weird issues like jumping into shallow water locks your aim in a specific direction so the right thumb stick does nothing

Loading times - worst I’ve seen for a long time. Especially the initial load, feels like it takes 2/3 minutes

Movement - unbelievably sluggish, delay in transitioning from walk to sprint, get stuck on everything etc. Also what’s up with the look acceleration immediately after a vault, crawl or a climb? Very strange.

AI - real bad, they’re either blind or can suddenly pin point exactly where you are even if you’re in darkness and barely making a noise. There’s no middle ground here

At this point I’m glad I only paid £15 for it.
Agree with all the above, it's shoddy to say the least.

Soldato
Just paid £35 for this and I'm not impressed at all.

Playing on Xbox One X.

Multiple hard locks in the game have drop to dashboard and quit the game.

Sound issues all seems very quiet and voices hardly able to make out.

Controls and movement are horrible.

I was expecting this to be great just not enjoying it.

Playing on easy.

See how far I get before Assassin's Creed Origins turns up from the bay.

Soldato
Just reached the Taiga area, which initially was quite a stealthy bit - my cup of tea; or at least that is what I thought... Sadly, the stealth on this game is horrendous! Proper broken!

I'll try to be vague, to not spoil anything: but encountering the first batch of enemies, I decide to go into full on sneaking the in dark mode, having lost most of my cool stuff, I have to take it nice and slow. As usual, I'm taking the lights out, avoiding the enemies until they alone etc - but I lost count of the number of times that after taking someone out silently (whilst being in complete darkness) - their psychic comrades turned up to the exact location I was hiding!!

Even if you kill and relocate, they still know exactly where you have gone - and slowly their search pattern ends up right on top of you. Totally killing any immersion for me.

On the subject of killing immersion - I have again lost count of the number of times that cover simply fails to do it's job, and bricks/bullets still bloody hit you; regardless of the type of cover you are behind; giving the benefit of the doubt, that the game may have penetration for thinner cover.

Overall, these factors have really made me dislike the game at times - it's now (for me) a 6/10, maybe even 5/10 game, which is such a shame; as it looks beautiful and would have been a welcome addition to the series.

Caporegime
Still finding this a slog whenever I go back to it, it's too slow paced for me and the movement is genuinely horrific. The trouble with the spongy aim is that it ruins the gunplay which is a large portion of the game.

At this point I'm playing it just to get it finished rather than actually enjoying it.

Associate
I’m finding this with loads of games over the last few months or so, probs linger. I’m starting games and buzzing at the initial novelty but then finding I’m getting bored and not playing PS4 much. Think I’m either going off games or they haven’t been that good of late. Never been the same since RDR2 lol.

Soldato
Finished the Xbone version, and also found it quite buggy, lock ups, white screens etc. Only option being to force quit. Graphically it was really good, found the directional sound annoying and gameplay was so so.

Story kind of ended a bit too abruptly for me, not sure what all the
gorillas
were about either, where did they come from.

Last edited:
Soldato
Finished last night - just in time for Division 2 :D

Overall, I did enjoy it - but I think the shift to a more open world, took away a little bit of what made the previous Metro games great; a feeling of being trapped in a small area, with limited exploration (makes sense as this is an nuclear wasteland). I appreciate that the past games did have some wider exploration, but certainly not the expanse seen in Exodus.

Here's hoping for a future patch, that improves movement (not so much snagging on scenery, a bit more fluidity to the aim), clipping near cover is sorted (no more bricks/bullets going through cover, and an overhaul to the AI - as it is frankly **** right now.

Without the faults, it would be an easy 9/10 game for me, but as it is, I'd me leaning more towards a 6 or 7/10 - it's certainly made me want to re-play the first two games again though.

Associate
I tried this a couple of weeks ago and I didn't get very far as there was massive slowdown and it was almost unplayable. Turns out it was my X's HDD slowly dying and I sent it away for warranty service, I wasnt sure initially whether it was the game or console, or a bit of both.

My X arrived back today, re-installed and started again, seems spot on now - has the game been patched in the mean time? There was around a 3.4 gb update to download. Not very far in, train parked up, been to church, off to the port now. Looks very nice. Gameplay OK so far, nothing revolutionary but not unpleasant....yet.

Back
Top Bottom