Holes in plasterboard ceiling

Soldato
i have 2x 3" diameter holes to fill in my attic ceiling, there’s nothing above them except the roof void and there will be nothing ever stored ontop

What’s the best way to fill them ?

I’ve googled it but some methods seem quite a bit of work

I was thinking of placing a strip of wood behind the hole then screwing thru the ceiling to hold it in place, then screwing a round piece of board to that strip to fill the void then using filler , sand flush when dry
No taping etc

Any thoughts or easier ways?

Last edited:
Associate
If you cut the hole you normally keep the plaster board that was removed and do as you say put a piece of wood across hole, screwed into place each side so screw heads sink into plasterboard and then screw through removed circle of plasterboard into wood and then skim with filler as a first attempt, then when dry few days later maybe sand and paint

If you haven't got the original piece of plasterboard then you could cut a new 1 if you have a similar size hole saw or do a rough one with knife etc

using plasterboard the thickness will be the same as the existing maybe 12.5mm if you fill with mdf or something else prob wont be flush

Associate
i have 2x 3" diameter holes to fill in my attic ceiling, there’s nothing above them except the roof void and there will be nothing ever stored ontop

I was thinking of placing a strip of wood behind the hole then screwing thru the ceiling to hold it in place, then screwing a round piece of board to that strip to fill the void then using filler , sand flush when dry
No taping etc

That is exactly how I would do it and have done it many times on various projects

Soldato

No taping etc

Yes this is what we often do at work when needed

Soldato
OP
Well went to start doing it and found the plasterboard was insulated wth 50mm foam

Just spent an hour scraping as much of the foam off with my finger as it’s all I could get in with heh

Soldato
The way I have done a few is, first lay some skrim mesh tape over the top of the hole in the loft and cover that with a piece of newspaper. Then I used easifill to fill the hole in a few layers. Sand smooth and paint job done, and nothing sticking up in the loft.

Associate
Back
Top Bottom