• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

2700x 95 degrees while encoding with handbrake

Permabanned
I'm running this cpu without overclock and with stock wraith prism cooler xfr&pbo enabled.

What sort of clock speeds are you seeing, the stock prism cooler is very good but you have to remember many people use encoding with handbrake as a stress tester.
it will run the CPU at 100% for a prolonged period of time, you should invest in a tower cooler of some sort.

for the here and now set the fan profile to turbo in bois this will set the fan to 15% high rpm's

Soldato
Try setting a negative vcore offset. My 2700X was able to happily run at stock settings with a -0.1V offset, which seems pretty common based on what I've read and had a positive impact on my temperatures. You can always start at -0.05V or so and work your way upwards to find the stability point.

AMD regularly pump too much voltage into their products, which is why people have so much success undervolting their GPUs too.

100% agree with this advice, im around -0.125 offset. start low, then do a click more every day until you have stability issues.

Soldato
As others have said, the Tctl has a 10 degrees offset. If the software you are using is reading from the Tctl rather than the Tdie it will show 10 degrees hotter. Update your software and it should show Tdie as standard, if not use another. If it tops at 70 Degrees during gaming and about 80-85 Degrees during Handbrake Encoding that sounds about right as Handbrake uses AVX and gaming doesn't.

Associate
OP

What sort of clock speeds are you seeing, the stock prism cooler is very good but you have to remember many people use encoding with handbrake as a stress tester.
it will run the CPU at 100% for a prolonged period of time, you should invest in a tower cooler of some sort.

for the here and now set the fan profile to turbo in bois this will set the fan to 15% high rpm's
I just checked and during encoding in handbrake hwinfo shows max cpu clock was at 4300MHz on three out of eight available cores, all other cores were topping 4275MHz.

When I'm benchmarking something in some games afterburner's osd shows sometimes clock jumping up to 4350MHz on almost all cores and threads.

Soldato
Take a look at starting post again. Seriously...

Really? I am trying to understand what you are getting at and asking a few questions regarding your setup. I did miss the bit about XFR and PBO but that doesn't require the snarky reply.

PBO is based on several factors and its behaviour will exhibit fluctuations that you have observed.

Permabanned
I just checked and during encoding in handbrake hwinfo shows max cpu clock was at 4300MHz on three out of eight available cores, all other cores were topping 4275MHz.
When I'm benchmarking something in some games afterburner's osd shows sometimes clock jumping up to 4350MHz on almost all cores and threads.

so... basically xfr&pbo are doing there job and overclocking the snot out of your CPU. this is good.

your options are, get a bigger cooler OR disable xfr&pbo
you could also explore the under volt options talked about above(i have never done this) but less Vcore = less heat.

I would go with the better cooler option and also try the under volt.
you dont need a massive and silly priced cooler to keep ryzen in check, the problem the included cooler as its top down and there just not the best.
i would think something as cheap as a hyper 212 would do a better job, so you option on cooling really are open to anything

Associate
OP
Really? I am trying to understand what you are getting at and asking a few questions regarding your setup. I did miss the bit about XFR and PBO but that doesn't require the snarky reply.

PBO is based on several factors and its behaviour will exhibit fluctuations that you have observed.
Really, i'm providing details in initial posts to avoid redundant questions so seeing such question after providing details is disappointing, don't you think so? how would YOU feel in such situation?

I will rephrase what i wrote in my first post of this thread:
Usually temps on gaming load are somewhere around 60-70 degrees, in handbrake where cpu is fully utilized on all cores and threads i see 95(tctl)/85(tdie) degrees i was not shocked, not worried just wanted an info from other 2700x users if they have similar observations. I do not see this as a problem because i understand difference on load and its influence on generated heat.

so... basically xfr&pbo are doing there job and overclocking the snot out of your CPU. this is good.

your options are, get a bigger cooler OR disable xfr&pbo
you could also explore the under volt options talked about above(i have never done this) but less Vcore = less heat.

I would go with the better cooler option and also try the under volt.
you dont need a massive and silly priced cooler to keep ryzen in check, the problem the included cooler as its top down and there just not the best.
i would think something as cheap as a hyper 212 would do a better job, so you option on cooling really are open to anything
To be honest i have a cooler from am3 platform with adapter to am4: silentiumpc fera 2 lying around but decided to keep wraith prism strictly because of its looks. I'm not fan of rgb but this one looks exceptionally good, imo.

Permabanned
Last edited:
Soldato
First thing, I would have politely pointed out that a long standing forum member had made a simple mistake and misread the first post. Secondly I would have clarified that what I was experiencing didn't seem to be an issue but was checking if that is similar to the other users with similar systems/cooling/settings.

But regardless it looks like your CPU is working fine and performing how it should. As another poster has said, if you want better temps upgrade your cooling, which you look like your will be doing. You may find however that your current max frequency will be your highest PBO frequency as the Wraith Prism is a pretty decent cooler.

Associate
Actually, as usual, I was right. The -0.1V offset on the Taichi isn't set by default - it's a bug (big shocker that an ASRock BIOS is full of those) that happens when you enable PBO. See the reports elsewhere.

I dunno if it is a bug. My Asrock X470 ITX does the same. It will auto set -100 vcore (which is as low as it will allow anyway) when saving the profile. Which is perfectly fine as XFR will lower and raise vcore as needed. Its only when disabling xfr that it becomes a problem and need to check it has saved at 0 (although -50 seems fine).

Back
Top Bottom