Brands for new bathroom

Associate
OP
Roca are very nice, I had one of the toilets in my old house, but then it was £850 so it should have been. I now have a RAK unit in my main bathroom and en-suite. Just as nice but half the cost

I went Merlyn shower trays are round and the quality is amazing for the money. I also have a lusso freeestanding bath and vanity's .

Make sure you get ceramic sinks, not resin. The aqualisa showers are great too as you can site the controls outside of the shower. My other choice would be Grohe.

A lot of taps are identical across the brands, obviously made to a generic design in the far East, so if you see an expensive one you like, shop around for a cheaper model. Prime example is a £100 mondella in Homebase is the same as the £50 Wickes own brand. I don't rate Franke as I've replaced 2 kitchen taps in the space of as many years.

Spend some decent money on a bath as cheap ones the fibreglass is thin, and although it can physically hold water it won't like continued abuse, ie kids dropping shampoo bottles on it. Don't ask me how I know

I had issues with Victorian plumbing with a cheap bath. Fitted it and there was a hairline crack that only opened when completely full. They refused a refund so you can imagine how much a £150 bath actually cost me factoring in a replacement and fitting .

My advice, spend decent money on a trusted brand. Replacing bathroom wear is a ballache.

Nice to hear some positive comments on Roca, set my mind at ease as she has chosen a few Roca items.

Soldato
We've just had ours done and ended up getting most stuff from Victoria Plum or Victorian Plumbing. Our en suite is done using the sme stuff and that's lasted very well.

The only thing where brand bothered me was the shower pump. We wanted a properly powerful pump so went for this 4.5 bar beast. It's coupled to a 400x400 shower head and it's absolutely amazing. The best shower I've ever used.
Do you need strong water pressure before installing a pump like that? Where I live currently we sit at the top of a hill and the water pressure is abysmal.

Soldato
I believe the pump has to be installed in a system where the hot and cold feeds are from a tank rather than mains. So in my case I have a system boiler with a hot water cylinder and a cold water tank in the loft.

Soldato
There's a voice that keeps on calling me.
I had some fitted furniture from Howdens and Wickes. Howdens didnt last too well (doors started to discolour and split), but i still got 10 years out of it. The Wickes stuff is still going strong 14 years on.

Ive used Roca ceramic ware with no issues,I even had Lidl taps last really well, that said the ideal taps i have now feel a lot better, but were a lot more expensive. When i do the bathrooms again, i'd spend more on the shower enclosure and tray, a friend has just has some 10mm thick glass shower enclosures fitted from VP and its so nice.

Soldato
When we did our en suite we spent a good amount on the shower tray and enclosure. The previous owners had installed an awful plastic tray a 4mm enclosure, we replaced it with a stone resin tray and 10mm enclosure and there's a huge difference. The tray doesn't flex and the screen feels good and solid.

Associate
Can someone have a gander at my bathroom list and see if I've forgotten anything?
  • Shower Pump
  • Shower Pump Anti Vibration Mat
  • Extractor Fan
  • Wall Tiles
  • Floor Tiles
  • Spot Lights
  • Basin Vanity Unit
  • Basin Tap
  • Basin Waste
  • Towel Radiator
  • Radiator Valves
  • Bath