• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Nvidia GT 1030 help (Re 4K 60Hz)

Associate
Hi all,

I recently bought an Nvidia GT 1030 card to go into an old dev PC I bought from work.

Now, I have a 4K TV which I use as a monitor for my MacBook Pro laptop, and that works fine running 4K@60Hz over HDMI.

So, I tried a short (1.5m) HDMI 2.0 cable from the GT 1030 to the monitor, and it's able to run 4K @ 60Hz over HDMI. Great I thought.

I have my Mac's HDMI cable channelled in the wall, and want to do the same with the PC cable, so I purchased a longer (5m) HDMI 2.0 cable, certified to do 4K @ 60Hz over HDMI (http://hdanywhere.co.uk/cables/slimwire/hdmi-slimwire-max-cable.html). The problem is, that I don't get any picture once it boots into Windows. I get the boot screen etc, but nothing else.

Any ideas, what I can do to get it working? I know the 5M cable works, because I've tested it with my Mac. For a few seconds I did get a picture working on the PC, but I don't know how (as was hot swapping cables etc at the time). I wonder if it's a driver, or HDMI handshaking issue?

I tried uninstalling the nvidia drivers, but Windows kept automatically reinstalling them.

Any ideas, or help would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,

Edward

Soldato
I've seen this myself. Whats happening is Windows is switching the graphics port to something other than HDMI such as DP or DVI or one of the other ports on the card. Its fine when the BIOS is handling it but when Windows takes over, bam it goes blank Windows defaults to anything except HDMI it seems.

Can't remember exactly how I handled it but bascially you'll have to plug another device in one of the other ports to get a display then go into Nvidia Control Panel and explicitly set the HDMI port as the one it handles...

Associate
its possible the card doesnt "like" the 5m cable for some random reason, i had that trouble with 4k hdr.... wouldnt go into hdr mode, changed cable and worked instantly. (was a fancy cable that didnt work too!)

Associate
Yeah, it works with a shorter (1.5m) cable. The longer (5m) cable works fine with the Mac, so wondering why it won't work with the PC.

The cable was quite expensive, so don't really want to have to buy another for it to not work again.

Any other ideas?

Thanks in advance.

If the screen can display an image, but not stably, then it's most likely interference/weak signal.

The aluminium body macbooks have very low RF emission levels. The rear of your average PC is an RF noise nightmare, and long high bandwidth cables are very sensitive to it.

I have dealt with it a few times on displayport cables, but I've never needed to do 4k60 over hdmi so I don't know how resilient that is.

You can look for a cable with better shielding, but the likelihood is that the signal/noise ratio from the card is just too low. You might have some luck with a short, well shielded cable from the pc to an active repeater to the long cable to the screen, but again that's not something I've tried.

Associate
OP
Ok, so I've been trying again this morning, and I've been able to get it to work.

First, I connected the 5m HDMI cable up to my GT 1030 and a 1.5m HDMI cable up to the HDMI on the motherboard. It then seemed to boot into Windows, but at 300% scaling (for some reason). I then did Ctrl+P and set to main display only, reset the scaling, unplugged the 1.5M HDMI cable and rebooted the PC. No display once Windows booted again. Weird.

I then switched the input on the TV (Samsung 40" MU6400) to a different source, waited a few seconds, and switched back to HDMI 1 source, and was greeted with the Windows login screen! :)

Checked for any Windows updates (Didn't need any), rebooted again, and the same thing happened (No display once Windows booted). Switched to a different source, back to HDMI 1, and Windows displays.

Must be a HDMI handshaking issue or something? At least I have a workaround for now.

Any ideas on how to get it working without switching the input on the display/TV?

Thanks in advance,

Edward

Back
Top Bottom