Apex Legends BR

Man of Honour
Would be great to see a round or 2 of you playing. I know i've had mates and my cousin sware they prefer high DPI / mouse sensitivity but when speccing them they were very inconsistent. Often overshooting the target when things get hectic.

I'll record some footage next time I'm on, will be a little while though as I'm working away currently and although I'm back this weekend that time will be devoted to Division 2 :)

But if the Division 2 servers go down I'll jump on Apex and record a few.

I do "ok" with the high sensitivity but as I say I've played for decades with sensitivities like that so I'm used to it. If anything when I fail in fights these days its due to the effects of age on my reaction times more than anything. I'll never be anything more than "ok" because I very rarely get to play as I work away so much, meaning that I simply dont get the hours of practice time that others do and also because I am just not as skilled at fps as many are, my reactions and coordination are not what they once were.

I did try 800dpi because of where everyone on the net was cooing about 800dpi but after so many years of high sensitivity I was awful with 800dpi, could barely win any 1 on 1. I steadfastedly believe that it all boils down to what the individual is used to, I know many streamers and gamers use 800dpi but that doesnt necessarily mean that swapping to 800dpi will automatically improve everyone, especially if they're used to a different setting. The really good players that I watch who do so well, do well because they are skilled, rather than because their mouse setting is giving them advantage by default.

My recommendation to anyone asking about what settings they should use is this..try some settings out and settle on the one that feels best for you, whether thats high or low, dont force yourself to use a specific config because SuperNinjaXXX goes on winning streaks with it. What works for them may not for you, go with your best settings.

Soldato
It's pretty impressive how good the body/brain is at learning small movements that you do repeatedly (no matter the sensitivity settings)...

I've been playing guitar for ~20 years and a couple of years ago got married... for a good couple of weeks the additional weight of a ring on my finger was enough to really throw off my bends/vibrato etc. until I got used to it... makes you realise how automatic things like that are

Soldato
I'll record some footage next time I'm on, will be a little while though as I'm working away currently and although I'm back this weekend that time will be devoted to Division 2 :)

But if the Division 2 servers go down I'll jump on Apex and record a few.

I do "ok" with the high sensitivity but as I say I've played for decades with sensitivities like that so I'm used to it. If anything when I fail in fights these days its due to the effects of age on my reaction times more than anything. I'll never be anything more than "ok" because I very rarely get to play as I work away so much, meaning that I simply dont get the hours of practice time that others do and also because I am just not as skilled at fps as many are, my reactions and coordination are not what they once were.

I did try 800dpi because of where everyone on the net was cooing about 800dpi but after so many years of high sensitivity I was awful with 800dpi, could barely win any 1 on 1. I steadfastedly believe that it all boils down to what the individual is used to, I know many streamers and gamers use 800dpi but that doesnt necessarily mean that swapping to 800dpi will automatically improve everyone, especially if they're used to a different setting. The really good players that I watch who do so well, do well because they are skilled, rather than because their mouse setting is giving them advantage by default.

My recommendation to anyone asking about what settings they should use is this..try some settings out and settle on the one that feels best for you, whether thats high or low, dont force yourself to use a specific config because SuperNinjaXXX goes on winning streaks with it. What works for them may not for you, go with your best settings.

Yea I know it's all personal preference and I think moving to 800 dpi after being used to 1800 would be a very drastic change to quickly. I'd probably try lowering in small increments. I've always copied advice from the pros way before even Counter-Strike 1.6. Which was changing the sensitivity until one full swipe of the mouse pad will give you exactly 180 degree turn. This allowed me to get setup very quickly in LAN tournaments when using computers with different settings / drivers / monitor sizes etc.

Man of Honour
Yea I know it's all personal preference and I think moving to 800 dpi after being used to 1800 would be a very drastic change to quickly. I'd probably try lowering in small increments. I've always copied advice from the pros way before even Counter-Strike 1.6. Which was changing the sensitivity until one full swipe of the mouse pad will give you exactly 180 degree turn. This allowed me to get setup very quickly in LAN tournaments when using computers with different settings / drivers / monitor sizes etc.

I could see doing that for tournaments and so on, but really ..its not my aim (pardon the pun) to be brilliant at the game. I play it because its fun and sometimes I win. I do well (enough) with settings that feel comfortable to me and that's good enough for me. I'm not really looking to get better at it as such because I have too many other things that I need to get better at than be able to put Apex high up the list on things to get better at :D

Like many sports, practice makes perfect but with my life I literally get 1 or 2 hours a week (at absolute max) to play it. No matter what settings I end up using I am still not going to be able to realistically compete against people who are getting 10/20/30+ hours a week of playing it. However, as long as I can play and enjoy myself then all is good with me. I win probably something like 20-25% of the matches I am in, though I only play with randoms and I'm sure that in some of those matches they carry me :D

Associate
I don't seem to sound insensitive, but age doesn't really come into it when talking about changing sensitivity. I've played high sensitivity for decades too, albeit only 2 decades, but have switched to low sensitivity over the last few months.
It's greatly changed my game for the better. It's not just about accuracy, because when your thinking more about how to take your shots, you're usually putting your character into a better position to hit your shots.

For example, when I switched from high to low sensitivity, I used to come out of a building, utilise my eyes to find the enemy more often than not and immediately attempt to put my crosshair on them, wherever they may be. Nowadays, since I can't 'lock on' as quick with a lower sensitivity, I exit the building using my ears to be able to strafe out of a building with my gun already near the enemies head as possible, then only a slight adjustment before I start shooting.

Don't get me wrong, you can learn to do this at either sensitivity, but when your subconscious tells you your not gonna be able to immediately switch between targets, you naturally start putting yourself in better positions to fight. That's just my opinion of dropping sensitivity through my own experience.

Man of Honour
I don't seem to sound insensitive, but age doesn't really come into it when talking about changing sensitivity. I've played high sensitivity for decades too, albeit only 2 decades, but have switched to low sensitivity over the last few months.
It's greatly changed my game for the better. It's not just about accuracy, because when your thinking more about how to take your shots, you're usually putting your character into a better position to hit your shots.

For example, when I switched from high to low sensitivity, I used to come out of a building, utilise my eyes to find the enemy more often than not and immediately attempt to put my crosshair on them, wherever they may be. Nowadays, since I can't 'lock on' as quick with a lower sensitivity, I exit the building using my ears to be able to strafe out of a building with my gun already near the enemies head as possible, then only a slight adjustment before I start shooting.

Don't get me wrong, you can learn to do this at either sensitivity, but when your subconscious tells you your not gonna be able to immediately switch between targets, you naturally start putting yourself in better positions to fight. That's just my opinion of dropping sensitivity through my own experience.

I'm not really saying that age has to do with sensitivity, I'm saying that if I die these days its to do with my reaction times and coordination having dulled compared to when I was younger, more than anything usually. Don't get me wrong, I have tried at 800 dpi because quite literally every single player I read about on the topic tells me that I absolutely must use 800dpi to get gud, I tried 800dpi for a weekend and failed to kill a single person that weekend. Switched back to the high sensitivity that I've used for decades in shooters and immediately started winning fights and matches again. I'm not saying that 800dpi doesn't work, I'm simply saying that for ME, it isn't as good as the high sensitivity that I've used since before the millennium in shooters. Its clear from the sheer number of people who use 800dpi that it works for them, for me though it quite clearly doesn't. Whats more, with my game time being SO severely limited, I ended up not enjoying that weekend of 800dpi and my enjoyment (which I get quite easily with such a fun game when playing with settings that fit me personally) is more important to me than my winning.

Soldato
I could see doing that for tournaments and so on

Try it! The enemy is never more than 180 degrees away from you and a full mouse swipe to achieve that just makes sense.

Then there is ADS sensitivity which can be pure joy to set as low as you can go for accuracy, theres nothing worse than over shooting the enemy. Look around normally then ADS for accuracy, feels great when you have it locked down.

I'm rubbish at apex, not played it much yet - I feel a bit spoilt with PUBG settings for each scope am over shooting toooo much in apex.

Man of Honour
Try it! The enemy is never more than 180 degrees away from you and a full mouse swipe to achieve that just makes sense.

Then there is ADS sensitivity which can be pure joy to set as low as you can go for accuracy, theres nothing worse than over shooting the enemy. Look around normally then ADS for accuracy, feels great when you have it locked down.

I'm rubbish at apex, not played it much yet - I feel a bit spoilt with PUBG settings for each scope am over shooting toooo much in apex.

You will notice from my posts in the thread that I have tried it, for me it didn't work. I'm struggling really to understand why so many are finding that hard to accept :D

Soldato

800dpi is often just a mouse native dpi, some are lower. Even if you like high movement mouse speed you really should put the mouse in its native dpi then adjust in game setting to the speed you like, its more accurate this way.

You will notice from my posts in the thread that I have tried it, for me it didn't work. I'm struggling really to understand why so many are finding that hard to accept :D

Try it more :p, it will become natural... one swipe is 180 degrees, so you can never over shoot when targeting an enemy who is the furthest away he can ever be.

Man of Honour
800dpi is often just a mouse native dpi, some are lower. Ever if you like high movement mouse speed you really should put the mouse in its native dpi then adjust in game setting to the speed you like, its more accurate this way.

Mines a Razer Deathadder Elite, which I think may well have a native dpi of 1,800 judging from the websites I just looked at.

Man of Honour
Try it more :p, it will become natural... one swipe is 180 degrees, so you can never over shoot when targeting an enemy who is the furthest away he can ever be.

I get literally about 1 hour, maybe 2...a week to play. So..which do you recommend, that I play with settings that *I* like, that *I* feel comfy with, that *I* get enjoyment out of and win maybe 20-25% of the matches I play. Or..spending literally months (assuming maybe 10 hours of adjustment time), to play with settings that other people tell me I should use, that last time I tried I didn't enjoy, in order to win maybe twice the number of matches in the long run, assuming that by then I haven't moved onto a different game anyway (which I certainly will have because Division 2 is coming out this weekend :D ). Its funny that so many , not necessarily you - I'm speaking generally, seem to think that nobody can play in a way that they like and should all play in the way that they do. So much for individuality eh ! :p

Man of Honour
Fairy snuff! But it wouldnt take that long to get used to it, and when you do...what if you played better hmmmm?

Seems a cheap price to pay for a life time of better play!

I'm not fussed about playing better, the occasional win (I average 1 in 4 or 1 in 5 wins at the moment, which is enough for me) and having fun playing generally is whats important to me, not the winning :). Lets face it anyway, skills and ability to play drop off when you don't play, my 1 hour of play a week is never going to stack up very well against people who can play 10 hours or 30 hours a week, practice makes perfect and all that :D

Soldato
I'm not fussed about playing better, the occasional win (I average 1 in 4 or 1 in 5 wins at the moment, which is enough for me) and having fun playing generally is whats important to me, not the winning :). Lets face it anyway, skills and ability to play drop off when you don't play, my 1 hour of play a week is never going to stack up very well against people who can play 10 hours or 30 hours a week, practice makes perfect and all that :D

Personally I like min/maxing, then I can allow myself to have fun when everything is set up.

Do you have mouse acceleration in windows turned off?

Man of Honour
Personally I like min/maxing, then I can allow myself to have fun when everything is set up.

I can understand that, known a lot of min/maxers. I'm far from a min/maxer, never have been in any of my games. I usually play in games with specs or loadouts that people tell me are Wrong. As an example, I played in world of Warcraft as a defence warrior and carried a shield the whole time I levelled up, people used to scream like mad at me that a 2-hander or dual wielding was quicker and better to level, nobody ever seemed willing to accept that I actually liked playing with the shield and defence spec :D

That's pretty much how I game in all games, I play the way that I enjoy rather than what everyone tells me is better. In the advertisement words of Eva Green, I don't do the popular choice lol :)

Back
Top Bottom