Watercooling basket check please

Soldato
Just about ready to order all my WC kit. Would like for some experienced members on here to give my list the once over.

Going to be cooling a i9-9900K & an RTX 2080Ti, all housed in a Lian-Li O11 Dynamic.
Rads are HWLabs Black Ice 360 SR2 & HWLabs Black Ice 360 GTS

Is there anything I should add or change?

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £562.79 (includes shipping: £11.10)​

Soldato
Looks good. Only thing as above is consider the D5 over DDC. As the DDC's are known to be quite loud and the D5's perform well enough while being quiet. You can get a D5 + fan type mount.

Soldato
OP
It looks fine from first glance, and you might want to consider something for monitoring fluid temps. Why DDC and not D5?
Looks good. Only thing as above is consider the D5 over DDC. As the DDC's are known to be quite loud and the D5's perform well enough while being quiet. You can get a D5 + fan type mount.

Thanks guys.
I was unaware that the D5 was the quieter of the two pumps.

One of the other reasons is that the DDC has multiple inlets. Thought it would give me more options regarding the run. This would be my first hardline WC & the last time I did a custom water setup was quite few years ago.

I was planning on using a Black Ice 360 SR2 (already have this) and a Black Ice 360 GTS, I've been told that he GTS is very restrictive and the DDC would serve me better. Is this true?
Saying that, I'm having a problem sourcing the HWLabs 360GTS rad. Is there a comparable rad |I can replace it with (40-45mm max)?

Last edited:
Soldato
Thanks guys.
I was unaware that the D5 was the quieter of the two pumps.

One of the other reasons is that the DDC has multiple inlets. Thought it would give me more options regarding the run. This would be my first hardline WC & the last time I did a custom water setup was quite few years ago.

I was planning on using a Black Ice 360 SR2 (already have this) and a Black Ice 360 GTS, I've been told that he GTS is very restrictive and the DDC would serve me better. Is this true?
Saying that, I'm having a problem sourcing the HWLabs 360GTS rad. Is there a comparable rad |I can replace it with (40-45mm max)?

Defo D5 mate, you might get more options using the pump as standalone and res mounted separately. But most likely it’s fine and not going to be an issue. You only seem to have 4 fittings so assume you need more ;)

Maybe some of the alphacool rads, don’t think they sell them here though. I had to buy from the US for my HWLabs before but it’s comparable cost with import.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Defo D5 mate, you might get more options using the pump as standalone and res mounted separately. But most likely it’s fine and not going to be an issue. You only seem to have 4 fittings so assume you need more ;)

Maybe some of the alphacool rads, don’t think they sell them here though. I had to buy from the US for my HWLabs before but it’s comparable cost with import.

Will be getting the D5. Going to finalise all the little bits & pieces and order on Monday
Just trying to decide on the 2nd 360 rad. Very tempted to get the Magicool 360 Slim G2.
The only other option I see is the EK PE360, is it really worth twice as much as the Magicool???

As for fittings, I think I have everything I could need but I'm sure I will need a few extras. Won't know for sure until I get the kit in hand and work out my run.

Last edited:
Soldato
I'd say you could get rid of a couple of tools (two tubing cutters, two measuring guides etc) but then more tools means possibility of better work. You could shave down your fittings and plugs a little but again it pays to be flexible and have spares/alternatives.

I don't think you've missed anything except maybe a filling bottle, and have some sandpaper handy.

Edit: And fluid!

Soldato
OP
Here is my revised list:

Need to add a 2nd rad. The initially planned Black Ice 360GTS is not available anywhere so am reluctantly will most probably having to go with the EK PE360, really had my heart set on the gts.

As mentioned before the magicool is mighty tempting @ it's pricepoint

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £598.22 (includes shipping: £0.00)

Soldato
12 stop plugs? Why so many? Seems like a lot...

I had one of those XSPC ball valves and it was very poor quality and had to be replaced within a week.

People keep saying this and worries me having 3 ready for quite a high end rig... I work about the rotary fittings now also!

Soldato
OP
12 stop plugs? Why so many? Seems like a lot...
Yeah, 12 is a too much.
The SR2 360 rad has 8 inlet/outlet ports (6 stop plugs required) plus a few for spares.

I had one of those XSPC ball valves and it was very poor quality and had to be replaced within a week.
Your advice is well noted.
A little research has made me re-think using XSPC valve & rotaries. The pricing allowed me to buy some extras/spares.
I'm tempted to go full Bitspower fittings

Soldato
People keep saying this and worries me having 3 ready for quite a high end rig... I work about the rotary fittings now also!

A lot of people i know use barrow as they are literally just the same, apart from the BP logo. And much cheaper!

I use EKWB purely because EKWB has really good customer service. Not sure how good XSPC are.

So long as you are using 12mm OD tube then yes.

Do test 12mm however. As ive tried 12mm before then went to 16mm due to looking too thin.

Soldato
The general best advice is to keep tubing and fitting brands the same. Small differences can lead to headaches, plus there is an imperial/metric split. Some items that say 12mm are really 1/2" which is 12.7mm, and vice versa. Same for 5/8" (~15.85mm) versus 16mm and 3/8" (9.5mm) Vs 10mm.

YMMV, see if you can find someone who has used this exact combination to verify.

Soldato
OP
I just got a ton of Barrow fittings from Aliexpress, saved me a complete fortune over buying from the UK!

I will be getting Barrow fittings for use in future iterations & spares for this rig. But for now I need to get this rig rebuilt and running.

Most of my water cooling gear should arrive tomorrow & I hope that the BitsPower fittings arrive before the end of the week.

Back
Top Bottom