Gas Meter Box Cover

Associate
Hi everyone!

We recently moved into the house we purchased and the Gas Meter Box Cover is broken.
It was held with sellotape but finally gave up and dropped, causing it to crack and snap and all sorts.

I am trying to find a new cover online but all the "gas" box covers are different shape and sizes.

The only cover / door which would suit size wise is Electrical Box Cover, although it has a flat shape instead of cover that we have.
Are there any regulations stopping me using "electrical box cover" opposed to gas box cover?

Can someone point me in the right direction please?

We are planning to change the meters to credit meters, so I am not sure if it's something they will do while changing the meter or I need to supply my own new cover / door?

Thanks in advance! :p

Edit: Just found this Size wise seems to match, good to be used?

Thanks!

Soldato
Unfortunately if you want to change the meter box itself its all down to you, a supplier wont install a new meter box when changing meters as its the home owners responsibility. If you can find a replacement door that fits then fit it yourself however if you need the entire meter box changing then you would have to get a gas safe engineer to disconnect the gas meter/piping, replace the meterbox, then get it reconnected again. Any capable gas safe engineer should be able to do that but its at your own cost of course.

Edit. No regs as far as im aware re the door cover as long as it fits you will be fine

Associate
OP
Thanks for the reply.

Box itself seems to be in reusable state, just had gas engineer come out as the meter smelled of gas.
I questioned him and he reassured I can use any cover / door i want as long as it fits so no strict regs on this one.

Thank you for your input.

Associate
OP
I called the Emergency Line provided by British Gas, I believe Cadent came out.
I did mention it doesnt seem like a major leak but they got straight on it and promted to switch gas off and await for engineer.
Very quick service, very impressed.

Soldato
I called the Emergency Line provided by British Gas, I believe Cadent came out.
I did mention it doesnt seem like a major leak but they got straight on it and promted to switch gas off and await for engineer.
Very quick service, very impressed.

yeah Cadent (formerly national grid) are pretty quick even for small leaks due to the obvious risks

Soldato
Any old box would do, I'm sure you could hand craft one from timber to fit over the existing unit pretty easily. On a side note, get off that prepayment meter ASAP, you'll be paying through the nose for your gas until you do.

Associate
OP
Any old box would do, I'm sure you could hand craft one from timber to fit over the existing unit pretty easily. On a side note, get off that prepayment meter ASAP, you'll be paying through the nose for your gas until you do.

Yeah I did try yesterday, we only been here a week but when I called on first day of moving to register the account, guy said give it 2 days and you can call us to change the meters.
Called yesterday, lady said i need to wait 28 days but she will try anyway...she did a credit check and it failed, to which she said try again in 60 days and said goodbye.
I mean, our credit history is good, and we managed to buy a house, my only though is it failed because of address nit being updated everywhere yet.

Back
Top Bottom