• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

780TI Windforce has died

Associate
Today my Gigabyte GeForce 780Ti OC Windforce finally died- well, I say finally. I mean suddenly. Very suddenly.

I've tried DDU and reinstalling drivers etc but nothing has worked so far. Outside of that I imagine I'm going to be looking for a new card.

So.. Can anybody give me any advice on what card to go for? I'm not looking to update my mobo, an MSI Z87 GD65 gaming, or my processor, an i7 4770K for the time being, just looking to get a new graphics card.

Is it worth getting a fairly decent card and then upgrading the mobo and processor later or should I just got for something comparable to the 780Ti and be happy?

All comments appreciated :)

Associate
OP
Just as a question; there doesn't seem to be much in it between the 1660Ti and the RTX 2060- Given the rest of my rig is pretty old, would I really see any benefit from RTX- or would I better off just running the 2060 with RTX off and see some gains over the 1660Ti?

:confused:

Soldato
Just as a question; there doesn't seem to be much in it between the 1660Ti and the RTX 2060- Given the rest of my rig is pretty old, would I really see any benefit from RTX- or would I better off just running the 2060 with RTX off and see some gains over the 1660Ti?

:confused:
The 2060 is about 20-25% faster even in general performance terms, and a 4770K shouldn't have any problem powering it in most games (especially if you're overclocked). The usefulness of the RTX features is highly debatable - ray tracing is basically a non-starter on the 2060 even at 1080p, unless you don't mind 30fps, though DLSS could potentially be useful if you don't mind sacrificing image quality for performance. You're not missing much in that sense, so just base your decision on the raw performance gap.

Soldato
The Zotac 2060 is ace, I'd definitely pick that over the 1660ti. £70 more, true, but worth it in warranty & performance & features.

Associate
The GTX1660ti has fewer CUDA cores than the RTX2060 (1536 vs 1920) but is still very competent card at 1080p and has the benefit that there aren’t OC models as all GTX1660ti models have the same die. Whatever card you go for, the difference between the premium models and the Founders Edition is a few percent at best!

Permabanned
I wouldn't touch a single fan 2060 or anything else unless it's a low power low end card, The Zotac 2060 looks okay & it has the 5 year Warranty, just remember that if you do go with a Zotac you need to register it with Zotac for the full 5 years, If I'm remembering correctly there's a time limit for registering so don't delay. :)

Back
Top Bottom